Old 11-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow... kinda like building a new one, isn't it! Don't dispair.. I think you still can have a fun trailer... I too say guy the interior, and pull the interior skins.. are all the front windows still intact? If so, I think you might be "golden."

Some thoughts...
1) the "worse" area is that front curbside quarter panel.. maybe JC could replace that whole corner for you... top, side (the one just adjacent to the front window to the door) and front lower curbside corner.

2) Go home, and get to work. I bet you have 3-4 broken ribs on the curbside.. just front of the door "may" be ok.. I'm betting it's cracked. Then the one just aft the door with the hinges, and the two after that. Take them down one by one... I think I might start with the rear one first... drill out the rivets from outside, and then use fishing line from inside to separate the skin from the rib. Then replace with new .. (get some ribs while at JC).

3) Once you have the ribs in place, you need a bodyman's "roller" tool to SLOWLY and gently roll out the aluminum... it won't ever be perfect, but with new ribs to help hold the metal out, you should get a semi-decent appearance.

4) Do the same to the rear cornerpanel and streetside dents...
5) Call it quits, reassemble, break a bottle of beer over the hitch, and go camping.

What's wrong with the door?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Here's an idea of what's involved...

I remembered this post from a bit ago.. scroll down to see what was done to repair this Bambi...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ost-47390.html

Also look up photos from Campcollector.. he rebuilt the roof of his Bambi after a tree fell on it.. rib repairs and everything.. no posts, but in the photo section...
Good luck!
Marc

Old 11-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #59
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Excited for monday to come. I get the keys to my garage and will be at the Facory as early as possible.

I'm going to take my notebook and i have a list of questions for those guys when i pick her up.

Not sure exactly what parts i will be picking up on Monday. I m going to try and make a list of the things i know i need, no matter what.

new step...bumper, curbside window, manual jack and a few other things

I'm going to take the advice of a few of you and get in touch with P & S trailer in Ohio as well.

I already touched base with the factory about hanging out in the corner and trying to pick up some tips, and they really couldn't let me.

So i'm hoping to get in touch with the guys at P & S and see if i can get some tips and ideas from them as well.

Regardless, i will have my trailer back in 48 hours and i'm EXCITED to start on her.

I guess after all my reading on here. I have a rough idea of my repair options. And it seems that no matter what route i choose, i should remove the bulk of the interior, at least on the curbside. So that is my intent. I need to see whats going on with the ribs and will have some photos to post on monday.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
Sounds to me like you could handle the restoration/would enjoy the restoration/are already hooked ;=) (Misery loves company!) Be sure to browse the Toastie's saga (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-38289.html) and also check out utee's project (anyone have his url??)...he did a lot of aluminum work on his Overlander?. There are several who have done an excellent job of picturing every step. I would LOVE to have found your Bambi at that price, and I would redo her myself and enjoy the obsession. Sounds like a good project during your Short-timer winter....

Please get good with a digital camera and post, post, post...we be nosey!
1978 Hilltopper Popup (really stanky)
Picturetrail.com/sdsteele
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #61
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
More Homework....

Well, i can easily afford to replace both ends of my trailer, i believe i can save the top center pieces, and perhaps even the bottom centers.

Pending on what i can live with..as far as dents and scratches. The cost of those panels alone will run me around $4400.

Throw in the Curbside front window and i should be close to $5000.00

I cannot find prices on the side panels yet, that run the length of the trailer, but if i can get them for around $1500 or less, then i should be able to make my budget. I only want to replace the curbside for now.

After adding $1100 for a new ac and the parts i need for it, $1600 for access doors, rear bumper, new LP tanks and cover, and a frame.

That would roughly have me around $9200.00

Throw in some last minute purchases for the rub rails, and new stainless wraps and i would be real close to $10k, which is what i will shoot for.

i can afford to spend a little more, which i know i will need for all the tools, rivets, and for the ribs that i will need to replace.

so This is my rough plan, i know that my estimate will grow...and grow haha

But for right now, i will do my best to stay around what i can afford
Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
Just the fact that to repair my trailer correctly, it would require the complete intierior to be removed and the entire skin replaced.
($3000 to remove the interior, and another $3000 to reinstall it)
( new skin w/ door equals $17,000)
From the photos, it does appear that you'll be gutting it, popping the exterior skins and building new ribs. Then you get to put it all back together.

If your basically building your own Airstream, have you considered finding a vintage donor body? Every month or so I see an older Airstream that the owner gutted with the dream of rebuilding, but life or the difficulty of it got in the way and they're unloading it.

You would have classic lines, and all modern interior and appliances built the way you want it.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I've replaced a good bit of sheet metal on my Globetrotter. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I haven't done much this year as I have been traveling so much.

Kip

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html
Old 11-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #64
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Productive Day...

Left for Jackson Center around 6am, and arrived close to 9. I made good time, touched base with the parts lady and the Service guys and asked the handful of questions i still had and then i was on my way.

Made it back to Indy around around 12:15 and put Bambi in the garage. The trailer fits in the garage i rented pretty easily. I will have plenty of room to work around it.

Had a dental appointment at 3...and had two cavities filled. Not sure if it was needed, but they numbed me up pretty good. 5 hours later and i still have this "elvis" lip thing going on. So i'm in for the night.

I did stop at Harbor Frieight and Sears to pick up some things.

...50 ft extension cord, 50ft air hose, 1/8 drill bits and some other random things. I will bring the bulk of my tools down here after Thanksgiving when i go home and then i will really start to get at it.

I'm hoping to strip out some of the interior tomorrow, as well as the window rock guards, and stainless wraps.

as for tonight...i shall relax
Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #65
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Well i got started...

Managed to pull out some interior panels. I only have hand tools, but i did the best i could and pulled out the whole dinette, the wood that supports the mattress, and some shelving units.

Didnt get too far in and i realized i needed some small bags and tape. So i can keep the screws organized with the correct panels.

Felt good getting started. Only could work for about 2 hours, but i made a dent. Finished pulling out the interior roof panel as well. The insurance company had started that job so it didnt take much to get it all the way off.

The garage got smaller and smaller with each piece i took out of the trailer haha.

But i think it will work out just fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB240844.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	91452   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB240848.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	91453  

Name:	PB240846.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	91454   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB240849.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	91455  

Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #66

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good idea to bag your fasteners, and take lots of pictures or draw diagrams if there's any possibility you might forget how it goes back together in a few months when you're done! Yes, isn't it funny how they take up three times as much space once you start takin gthem apart

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #67
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
here she is in the garage...and a few more photos of the interior, prior to my removal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB230832.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	91456   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB240836.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	91457  

Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
When I removed the bed for floor installation, I used that blue painters tape to keep the screws with the panel they came from. Worked great.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
wow.. the woodwork is really pretty in those new models...
1978 Hilltopper Popup (really stanky)
Picturetrail.com/sdsteele
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #70
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Well, i skipped town and drove 350 miles home for the Holiday. I will hopefully get another day of work done on the trailer, on sunday.

The Army is flying me to Mississippi on monday to train some people down there. So i will be away from the Trailer for 10 days or so, and then i will be doing some deer hunting in Pennsylvania. So i will say goodbye to her on sunday and wont get to work on her again till the 14th.

So my progress may slow down. But i'm hoping to have all the ribs exposed by xmas, and be ordering some parts by the end of the month.

I'm wondering what the cost would be, if i tried to order the front and end caps pre assembled. During my factory tour, i saw them carrying the ends around and they were all assembled, minus the windows. So i know they pre-assemble those peices during manufacturing.

I already added up some costs, and to replace every radius panel, on the front and back, it will run me around $4500. So if the factory labor only ran a few hours to have them all riveted together. It may be worth it to me, to just rent a Uhaul and pick them up, ready to go.

It would cut down alot of my work and then i could just focus on the curbside panels and ribs.

even if it was 7 hours of labor, and i doubt its that much, it would be well worth it to me.

If anyone knows if that can be done....please way in.

i will call JC on monday and see if thats an option