Old 11-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
If the repair price is too high just tell anyone that asks it was damaged by pirates in Somalia.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
MGM
I wouldnt sweat the Inspection. If its repaired and looks good it will be no problem. I brought ours from Indiana,of course it was not damaged. But the lady from the title bureau did come to my house,I think the inspection was under a $100 bucks. She walked around the unit,checked the serial number on the badge and the tongue and signed off on it. The she said "I have never seen the inside of one of these",wife gave her the tour and everything was cool..
Good Luck

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #31
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Well, still no numbers from the Factory. But i made some calls on the inspection stuff. It seems like a pretty simple process in Ohio. I just need to fill out some papers at my local BMV and get a temp permit and then take the trailer to an inspection office for the State Highway patrol to do what pretty much sounds like a once over, and then i can be back on the road.

So i'm excited. I just drove back from a week in Memphis, and passed so many things. I took the Music Highway- i-65 for about 450, from Tennessee to Indiana, crossing the Ohio River and Mammoth National Park, the National Corvette Museum and a handful of state parks.

I'm an outdoorsy person, and my Bambi will be my base camp for alot of travels, so everything i see now, i think about future trips and adventures.

I will keep you guys posted on any news or progress in my repairs
Old 11-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Since you picked it up in Montana, you should go with the story of "The grizzlies are so big there this is what they do to trailers..." You could sure raise a few gullible eyebrows.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #33
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Alright, so the suspense is killing me. Tomorrow i'm gonna call and see if they have any rough ideas yet. I know they have alot going on and i feel bad calling, but hey....i won't lie. I 'm ready to give them some money and get the ball rolling.

I'm just excited. I have looked into some sway bar options, i think the reese stuff is my best bet.

I want to keep her looking nice after my repairs, so u guys have convinced me that the sway bar stuff is not an option.

I will let you know what i buy
Old 11-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
MGM,

Welcome to the forums. As my wife and I are both 68 series, it is nice to see another 68W join the ranks. My unit just returned from Afghanistan and my wife is Active duty at AR Perscom. Also nice to see the median age drop a little more! Good luck with your bambi, and take lots of pics to document your repairs!

Steve
Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #35
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm so excited to get this thing on the road. I dunno, mabee all the time in the Army has given me some form of peter pan syndrom lol, but i have big plans to do some trips out west. I'm an east coast guy who has a lot to see.

Lucky for me , i live a mere 3 hours from the factory, so i'm hoping to take advantage of that and have them fix up my new toy. Just waiting on an estimate now, to find out how many months i shall forfeit my wages haha
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Love your excitement and enthusiasm...and welcome to the 19' Bambi-ites! We really enjoy our 19' Bambi...it's great for the type of camping it sounds like you are interested in doing...we like the size as it's easy to tow (we do ours with a 2007 Tacoma with a tow package and Equal-I-Zer Hitch setup), is totally efficient in space usage, and you can take it anywhere... Good luck as you get all fixed up and on the road to sheer bliss...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
You better set up an allotment to come off your LES before you go spending it....they are PROJECTS.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #38
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Factory Update. The suspense was too much and i called today and to my excitement they were working diligently on assessing my damage.

The numbers came in , and to have my Bambi perfect, with all the labor and parts, it would be well out of my price range.

She has a alot more damage then i thought and to do everything perect, there is no way around it. $$$$$

I won't lie, the wind was taken out of my sails, but hardly my intent. I'm going to figure something out, I'm committed to have her on the road, that is where she belongs and that is where i will be come spring.

I will do my homework and the work myself. I will leave some dents for character and will learn along the way. I may outsource what i can, and the rest will be a challenge. But progress will be fun, no matter who does it. Jackson Center or Me.

I have been in contact with one other gentleman. 5 hours south of me in TN, called Creston RV. I will see what he thinks he can do...If he can work any magic leaving the interior intact as much as possible and only using buck rivets where we need to reinforce / replace the ribs, and utilize olympics rivets elsewhere. He may be able to do things on a level that the factory could never do, due to protocol and requirements/

So I'm flexible and if all else fails me....and his quote is too much. Then it will just be some long days and some longer nites, with me and a trusty radio, and a handful of rivets. Because, i can afford the replacement panels just fine...well for half of her at least. The driver side, will have some character for a little while and the new ac will be a birthday present for myself in Jan.

For the record I want the trailer to be safe and i want to use her for years to come. So rest assured, i promise you guys i won't cut too many corners. But i honestly believe i can come up with some ways to make her road worthy on my budget.

The other projects will be on hold....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1961 Bar Harbor.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	91259   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Bar Harbor project.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	91260  

Name:	my 1976 Corvette.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	91261  
Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Mabee my new passion for this thing will be my un-doing but i just really want to be able to enjoy this thing. And i i know all the trouble will be worth it.

For crying out loud, this thing was brand new, and has never been used, so in my eyes. Its worth it.

I wish i had an extra 30k to throw at it, but even my bachelor budget can't swing that. And the banks won't loan my any unsecured funds for it, since it has a salvaged title. So it narrows my options.

I forget what the line is in a River Runs Through It, but its something to the tune of...no matter what, we love them lol.

So i shall apply that to my Bambi and make do with the imperfections i cant afford to fix just yet, and do what i can to make her road worthy again...instead of perfect
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #40
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Unconventional idea

mgm, have you considered buying or building an adequate flatbed trailer to haul your Bambi wherever you want to go? This would allow you to camp in the Bambi while youíre working on it.
It might not be welcomed at some campgrounds, but Iím sure you could find places to camp with a 2008 Bambi, wrinkles, flatbed and all. If and when you get the Bambi into roadworthy condition, you could sell the flatbed and go merrily on your way.
Where thereís a will, thereís a way.
Iíve seen much stranger things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1984 Peterbilt.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	91263  

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #41
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
No flatbed, needed just yet. I had it hauled to me that way because it was cheaper for me to do that, then to take off work and spend on the gas.

Surprisingly enough she rolls just fine and even after all her damage, every dam light and turn signal, works perfectly! haha

I made some progress tonite. I live in Ohio, but the Army has me stationed in Indiana for 6 more months, so i decided to find a garage down here to work on her in.

So on a HIGH note, i did find a 20 x 30 heated garage with a 14ft door to rent, 10 miles from Base. So now i have my own repair center at least. I will look at it after work tomorrow. The GPS has it 12 miles away, and for the price of $80 a month, i doubt i will be able to pass it up.

Found it on craigslist, so i will at least have a place to tear her down and start on her. It will be a 3 hour drive to the factory from there, but hopefully i like driving and will do my best to ferry parts down here.

So, I'm still in the fight. I will post some photos of the garage 2morrow
Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
MGM,

You are in Indiana at Benjamin Harrison or at DFAS????? At $80 a month you should be arrested and prosecuted under UCMJ for stealing . A garage like that here would run $400 per month, and I know since I have priced them!

Steve