Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
. , .
hi mgm and welcome to the the world of 'streaming...

i see >10k $$ in skin work IF no hidden structural issues are found AND olympic rivets are used for the facelift...

still 5k is a good purchase price, maybe and a small ticket price to TRY streaming.

reads like you are realistic about your expectations and flexible to ways of using this baby...

good attitude !

i was hoping you'd post pics, we LOVE seeing things brokked, then fixed.

it's not obvious IF there is w/d AND sway control in your rigging, both are a good idea...

the above thread is ANOTHER brand new unit busted up on the first trip and REPAIRED at the mothership, then resold.

best of luck and welcome home!

another thought...

j/c does DISCOUNTS for parts AND service during the winter months (staring mid? december)

i think this is ~20% OFF.

hopefully the service folks shared this tidbit with YOU...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi, I was born in Ravenna, left before YOU were born. Too darned cold in winter!

Trust the folks at the factory and if you have the time, hang out while they are doing the repairs. You can learn a lot about maintaining your systems by watching and asking a very few questions, and they're pretty good about letting you hang out in the back (doesn't hurt to bring lunch for the crew fixing your unit!)

I propose that you name your unit "Bam-Bam" - not referencing the Flintstones, but what happened to it on delivery.

F. A.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I say just fix the curbside... I kinda like the rought and ready look of the streetside.. you won't have to worry about when you put your first scratch in it...
Camp and enjoy!
Welcome to the forums... and thanks for your service!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You can't hardly beat the starting price! I think I would have grabbed it and gone camping That would make for some great stories, but we might also hear some stories about you getting turned away from campgrounds in that condition I'm curious to hear what the Mothership tells you.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
That may be a project you have to do yourself to stay under budget. From the pics, it looks like a couple of the interior ribs might have been flattened.

Your choice is to just put a new skin over it to get rid of the scrapes and dents, and have the flat area, or pull the skin off, pull the interior stuff away from that section, then cut out and rivet/weld in some ribs before putting the new skin on.

At worst, you've easily got $5000 worth of parts you can sell if you want to bail out now.
My Brain Project and Tech Notes
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Pursuit of Happiness
2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
I wont abandon ship lol. She is mine, and i will bare with the expense of the repairs. I figured the factory was my best bet, so i will see what they work up for me. Its there currently. I have some leave and would love to go down and watch or help, if they will let me....

ps. I already asked. lol

So i'm waiting on my quote. At first glance they said they could salvage at least 3 or 4 panels and the rest they would just put on new. The Ribs are damaged towards the front. I already removed the interior roof panel b4 i delivered it, so i could assess the damage.

Its not too bad, and in the newer models the ribs go together in sections.

I would like to fix it all the way to new, but we'll see what the quote comes in at. I m on a Bachelors budget and have been lucky to save some money during my time away, so i can feed some cash into her. In the end, i guess i would like to spend under $13000 in repairs, as that puts me at $18 and still well under what people are trying to sell 2008s for....less then half. Being that this one is an SE.

So cross your fingers, the winter discount started in Nov, so that should help as well. I have teased the guys at the factory that i will just start sending my pay checks to them. So thats my plan

I'm just pumped to get it on the road, this is my last toy. I have an 1976 Stingray and a 1969 Camaro and a handful of 1960's boats, so the trailer makes me feel complete.

No lady friends in my life and there wasnt much to spend money on during my 28 months in Iraq, so now its my turn to enjoy life....Money well spent lol

My dad likes to call it a tuna can currently, but i have told him that he better start being nice to Bambi...but i kind of like the ring of Bam Bam haha

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Any tips on what i should do if my quote is super high. Any other reputable commercial repair guys out ther?
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
If the quote is too high wait till winter and take advantage of the discounted prices as 2air stated.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Thank you for your service to our country.
Just out of curiosity do you know the details of what caused the roll over accident? What kind of tow vehicle were they using and was any kind of sway control being used? Good luck with the repairs.
Richard from MI

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
1998 25' Safari
lagrange , North Carolina
that should be a fun project, i am finishing up on a 1998 safari i bought,they are really neat units
jesseray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2003 22' International CCD
Carlsbad , California
MGM - If you fix it as you describe (get the panels looking right) and there is no structural damage, don't let the salvage title worry you. Your motivation to be in your airstream at a good price sounds very much like our story. We bought our 07 (ebay) and had the exterior cosmetics sorted out and have cool plans for the interior. It came with and still has a salvage title. I had the frame, axle, wheels, brakes and any running components completely checked (it really wasn't at issue with the kind of damage ours had) and all was fine.
If this was a car with engine, transmission, steering (and all the alignment issues), I would never own a salvage vehicle. But this is a single axle frame (pretty simple) and a cool house bolted to it. We had the damage repaired by a well respected local shop and had all systems checked it may as well be new. We too plan on owning her (?) a while so resale isn't such an issue. If we ever do sell her and some buyer can't process the fact that it was completely repaired professionally but has the stigma of the title then so what.
California doesn't let us retitle as "restored" or "refurbished" or "rebuilt" or whatever once a salvage title is issued, but it doesn't matter to us. We had to go to a certified inspection station for a brake, wheel and running light inspection, but that was simple.
There is something satisfying about salvaging something and I suppose it takes the sting out of the inevitable first ding or corrosion spots (yeah you'll read about those) if your investment is a percentage of new.
Cool that you have the mother ship looking after you...hope they give you a good price.
lacosta31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Hey, nice find! You should make out fine with the numbers you've quoted. Now, get a nice dog and go camping. The dog is great company when you're in the woods, and a chick magnet when you're not!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Welcome back and you are our hero! (and all of your fellow soldiers). Thank you.

Well, it looks like you have bought into what is going to occupy your spare time. Good luck with the Bambi, we enjoy ours.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Welcome back!

And thank you for your service to our country.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Do you have the air conditioner...or was it taken off?

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote