Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
1975 25' Tradewind Lower Corner panel and rock dings

Hello all,

We have a 1975 25' Trade Wind. Not new, but new to us. T

The small lower (bottom) front corner panel, has a dent and should be replaced. Looks like an easy switch out if I can find the piece.

There are also numerous small rock dings on the front panels.

My plan is to replace the small panel with the dent, then remove the interior panels and push the dings out, from the inside, best I can.

Unless somebody knows magic!!!

Any special techniques for working dings out of Aluminum?

Any suggestions re: interior panel removal?

Is there a particular order they should be removed? Where do I start? I am afraid of cracking or breaking the plastic insert on the front above the window.
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
Hello all,

We have a 1975 25' Trade Wind. Not new, but new to us. T

The small lower (bottom) front corner panel, has a dent and should be replaced. Looks like an easy switch out if I can find the piece.

There are also numerous small rock dings on the front panels.

My plan is to replace the small panel with the dent, then remove the interior panels and push the dings out, from the inside, best I can.

Unless somebody knows magic!!!

Any special techniques for working dings out of Aluminum?

Any suggestions re: interior panel removal?

Is there a particular order they should be removed? Where do I start? I am afraid of cracking or breaking the plastic insert on the front above the window.
Which front lower panel? The quarter panel, or the banana wrap, that's below the floor line.

Rock dents stretch the aluminum. Therefore you cannot push the dents out. What will happen, if you attempt to do that, is you will make the rock dents even more noticeable.

There is "NO" magic in removing rock dents, other than replacing ther panels.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Central , California
Thanks for the reply.

The dent is in the banana wrap, under the floor line.

Rock dents / dings stretching the aluminum is not good news!!!

I can understand that though. So, I take it there are no magic suction cups or other techniques out there to fix that...

Aluminum is malleable... I was counting on that.

The technique I have seen was to place a large heavy mallet on one side, (have somebody hold it firmly against the metal surface) then strike the other side with a small mallet to work the dent out. The weight of the large mallet seemed to re-direct the kinetic energy into shaping the metal...

The other technique I have seen was to simply heat the area then push gently and literally rub the dent smooth ( small dings only) ...

Anything seems better than replacing the whole panel. Is there a place to have that professionally done?

Otherwise, we have a freckle faced trailer with a little road character...
Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The dent is in the banana wrap, under the floor line.

Rock dents / dings stretching the aluminum is not good news!!!

I can understand that though. So, I take it there are no magic suction cups or other techniques out there to fix that...

Aluminum is malleable... I was counting on that.

The technique I have seen was to place a large heavy mallet on one side, (have somebody hold it firmly against the metal surface) then strike the other side with a small mallet to work the dent out. The weight of the large mallet seemed to re-direct the kinetic energy into shaping the metal...

The other technique I have seen was to simply heat the area then push gently and literally rub the dent smooth ( small dings only) ...

Anything seems better than replacing the whole panel. Is there a place to have that professionally done?

Otherwise, we have a freckle faced trailer with a little road character...
Current banana wraps are made with plastic, and have been used for many years.

They don't have the "dent" problem.

Banging on the soft aluminum that was used for the banana wraps, only stretches it more.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
I was able to improve mine with an auto-body dolly. It is far from perfect but good enough for me and certainly better than it was. I have seen the newer plastic banana wraps and they are nicer than my "repaired" one. So it depends on your desired outcome.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote