Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The key to the spray is fine overlapping strands of the glue. You want to create a web one both surfaces. Do not try to cover the surface as if you painting it on. It needs to dry 100% before you stick them together. That might be 1 minute it might be 10 all depends on the humidity. You can test by using the back of you hand... gently press your hand into the glue, if your hair sticks, wait. Do not rush the glue, for if it is not dry enough it will come apart later. Once the surfaces touch, that is it, so be lined up. A file will cut off the excess around the edge. Make sure to roll out the surface with a j bar roller. You can also wait too long and all the solvent will evaporate out of the glue and the bond will not take place.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I have yet to find a 3M product that has not worked well. Thier glues work great! choose your stickyness and go for it.

We use thier glues for interiors.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Ok, well, the model-shop raid was a success!!

(turns out, we buy super-77 by the case. there was a half-can of "90" left; the model shop guys told me that they prefer the 77, but anyway...)

So, it seems to have worked nicely. It didn't soak in at all; just worked exactly as advertised.

So now I need to cut down one of the finished doors by a couple of inches. I'm thinking a jig saw with a fine-toothed blade would be the thing...masking tape on the laminate side, to deter any chipping. sound good?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
So now I need to cut down one of the finished doors by a couple of inches. I'm thinking a jig saw with a fine-toothed blade would be the thing...masking tape on the laminate side, to deter any chipping. sound good?
Use masking tape, but cut with the door upside-down. Remember that most jigsaw blades cut on the pull stroke and tend to splinter on top. You can however buy "push" stroke blades.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Chuck,
On review, if you have access to a table saw or a circular saw you may get better results with a smoother/straighter cut.
If you wind up using a circular or jig saw, clamp a guide to the door so you can keep the saw on the mark.
Good luck.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
no table saw. I do have a circular saw, and I was thinking of that + a plywood blade (fine-tooth). I'd have to cut it upside-down, though...might have to with either saw, as the width of the base plates is probably wider than the distance between the cut and the protruding metal handle of the door.

and yep, I have a clamp-on straight edge, just for such purposes.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Jig saw may leave less ragged edge, unless you have a fine tooth blade in that saw....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Chuck,

I have had a few jig saws in my time as a home remodeler and carpenter. I like using the Bosch jog saw more than any other that I have tried.

Matter of fact, I was home visiting Maw & Paw early last year, and had to do some work on their house. I pulled the Bosch out of the truck and cut a couple items for the new kitchen. (Contractor that they hired was a bit slow getting things done, and I just had to help out for a couple days.) I let Paw use the saw, and he instantly fell in love with it.

Paw wouldn't let me take the saw with me when I left, and it wasn't until Christmas that I was able to get my saw back. (Maw bought him one just like mine for a Christmas gift.)

I would use the jig saw, make sure you support the parts well. Possibly sandwich them in between two scrap boards. A slow feed-rate will be absolutely necessary. Use the finest toothed blade you can find.

Good luck,

Woody
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
Use masking tape, but cut with the door upside-down. Remember that most jigsaw blades cut on the pull stroke and tend to splinter on top. You can however buy "push" stroke blades.
Also, cut the material, SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY, and the material will reward you.

Andy
Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
well, I used the jig saw and it didn't work out too well. had a couple of chip-outs...not a total disaster, as the damaged areas are hidden by the p-scrolls once installed. but next time, (I do have one more door to do), I'll use the rotozip.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
well, I used the jig saw and it didn't work out too well. had a couple of chip-outs...not a total disaster, as the damaged areas are hidden by the p-scrolls once installed. but next time, (I do have one more door to do), I'll use the rotozip.
Try using a metal cutting blade instead of a wood one. Also cut with the finished side of the tambour nest to the saw, but you probably already figured that one out.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
A common problem with solvent based contact adhesives is humidity. The solvent evaporation causes moisture to form on the surfaces, and then they will not stick until the moisture has evaporated also.
The 3m-90 is a good all-around spray adhesive for permanent bonds. 3m-77 is not as strong, but it will allow you to re-position the two pieces if you need to.
If you ever see a can of brush-on green contact cement at a yardsale with the name "grip", BUY IT! It's the best stuff ever made for permanent bonds, and is no longer made due to the solvent content.
Good luck, Rich
Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Tricks an old timer taught me

1) When cutting, Put down a pieces of masking tape on e cut line. Then remark the cut on the tape. This minimizes the "tear out" caused by the saw blade.
2) When making countertops, the contact cement will soak into the MDF (medium density fiberboard). Put 1st coat on the porous material only. Put the 2nd coat on porous material at same time that you coat the nonporous material. This way they are both tacky (dry to touch) at the same time.
3) If I have a countertop job coming up, I'll look through the curbside piles on trash night for an old venietian blind. The cheap plastic ones work best. Lay them down on the MDF board ( or your favorite porous material) about 1 " apart. Then you can place the formica (or your other material to be bonded) on top. You can the position it where it needs to be. It slides on the blinds. Once it's in place, you slowly pull out the blinds 1 at a time. Then roll out on top with a J-roller. This secures the bond. Remember you only get 1 chance if using quality contact cement. Make sure of the fit by putting items together 1st without cement. If possible oversize the material & trim later.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #28
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a jig saw cuts on the up stroke... that causes chip out. Cut with the saw on the underside of the piece and it will not chip out. Also make sure the blade swing is set on zero.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote