Old 10-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Attaching the veneer

This picture shows the top with the veneer attached after coming out of the press. The excess veneer is now being trimmed.
Attached Images

joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I agree that professionally applied veneers are superior, however, most people don't have access to that type of high-end equipment Joshua, nor can they afford to have custom interiors built professionally.

For the DIY vintage A/S restorer, self-applied veneers can provide options &/or variety with different woods and improve the interior substanially. I fabricated the panels used on our new dinette (see photos), matching the original oak cabinets that are intact and of course, they are not high-end "furniture quality" finishes... the vintage cabinets never that level of finish, but they certainally blend in well enough with our interior.

Toaster, I would encourage you to consider reveneering your original cabinets as a viable option. Mock-up some test panels, finish them as you would in the trailer and see what you think...

BTW Joshua, I like your new bench...I'm sure it will be beautiful when it's done.

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally posted by joshua32064
OK, I understand now.

I will tell you this. Wood veneer can most definitely be applied the way that you mentioned, but I have to warn you that you will not have the same look as if it was professionally done.

When manufacturers produce a product with wood veneer, we use a press like the one shown in the photo below. Unfortunately, when you use an iron, you just cant match these results

You may be able to come up with something that is very nice and fits your needs. I guess it all depends on what your standard is.
I don't think I can con the wife into buying a press like that LOL......Now that said I might be able to find one to use. does that monster have a heat plate or is it simply presure?

My old employer had a big die cutting press that was 3x8ft and rated like 10 tons per square inch. We used it to cut fabric 30 layers deep in one shot.

I asume the goal is to provide even presure for a contact cement to bond evenly?
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
If after discussing the press with the wife, if she decides to veto the idea of buying one, I agree with Shari that you should make some test panels and see how they turn out. There is no way for you to see what the outcome could be or will be until you take the time to try a few things. I'm sure that with a little care and experience you can get a nice veneer panel without having all the tools that may be needed for a 100% professional job.

Regarding the press, there is no heat plate and the machine is only used to apply uniform pressure.

I am looking forward to hearing about your test panels and how they turned out.

joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote