Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There were at least 2 Airstream variations on the 70s walnut finish. My 71 has the grey flecks mentioned above. My 73 did not.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Tallassee , Alabama
We needed to come up with some laminate that would at least coordinate with the existing stuff in our 72 Safari (Walnut or Pecan with pickling steaks). What we found was the Wilsonart Mission Adobe 4849-38 has a similar background color and reflectivity characteristics (it lacks the gray streaks and wood grain though).

As long as it isn't next to the original stuff it gives the same impression.

The other solution, which I stumbled on sort of by accident is to take Oak and put 2 coats of Minwax Walnut finish on it. Put it on very heavy and let it sit for a while (I think it was rather cool when I did it and let it sit for 20 minutes a coat) and then rub off the excess.

I used the wood around the fridge, figuring I would find something better later but it really blends in nicely.

As long as you aren't doing professional photo shoots, both products work nicely with the level of lighting available inside the AS (day or night).

If you want to try and actually match the wood to the original laminate I would would start with the Oak, using the Minwax as I described above, then try a light coat of pickling stain (pickled pine stuff) and then wipe it off.

One of the best places for finding ways to color wood is a Woodcraft store. They usually have a good selection of a variety of products and ofen, not always, there is someone there that can talk you through using the various products.

Another product I stumbled onto down here in Alabama is that Home Depot sells Luan door veneer that is 1/8" thick. Put a layer of laminate on each side and you have a panel that is almost identical to the original as far as thickness goes. They are 7 feet by 3 feet (not a full 4 X 8 but big enough for most applications).

Tom Bray

Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee

Do you still have ANY tambour??? I really need it.
netlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I wanted this product to fabricate some of the parts for my gaucho that was removed in my 1971 25' Landyacht Tradewind. The laminate was called pionite and the color was red oak. It is no longer available and I was not able to find anything with the fine 3D texture. Laminating both sides of 1/8 in plywood really makes a sturdy product that can be edged with extruded aluminum to match the original. Good luck at finding what you like.

Tambour is available from a good lumber supplier. It is used to make rool top desks for example. Stained to taste and finished with satin polyurethane will be gorgeous and last forever. One tip is to cut away the backing from the part that fits into the slot to avoid sticking. Lubrication helps. Try here if there is nothing local - www.tapeease.comveneer1/htm.

Good luck.

Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote