Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Wobbly dinette table

Just picked up my new AS Safari 25' FB SE. Looked more carefully at the extremely poor attachment of the dinette table to the trailer wall as this is the cause for its wobbly movement. Problem is that top left hand upper bracket attachment is not secured to any backing beyond the thin alum inside wall finish, hence bracket can move in and out as thin wall finish flexes. Right side upper bracket has backing (maybe a wall stud ?) which prevents flexing. This is a very poor design and i will be talking to AS engineers as to a fix but in the mean time has anyone come up with a solution to this wobbly problem ??
Fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

There is a hat section in the wall that the screws should go into. If one side is secured it is possible the screws pulled out or were not long enough on the other one.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I placed 1" x 1" pads on the upper table tabs that slot into the wall. The kind of pad that has an adhesive surface. Took up all the slack and eliminated the wobble. I also take the table down when traveling.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Tom,
Thaanks for the tip., I'll try it out.
Lynn,
Their is nothing behind the wall of the left upper bracket (to secure it more). This was verified by a AS customer service rep (i spoke to last week) who went out on the production line to see if the new units 2008 had backing.

My ? post is in the wrong section - Interior restoration forum, so i am going to re-post it in the proper one - general repair forum, as its a big issue with me ( design failure)and not enough people see it over here.
Fred
Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Actually can one of the moderators move this topic over to the general repair forum ?, Thanks if you can.

This dinette table issue is not only on my rig,as i suspected.
On the cover of Trailer Life (Feb 2008) is an AS International (23')
. TL's test/ review of it ,begins on page 50. Its floor plan is shown and it has a dinette attached to front wall. This is exactly the same problem, and TL reviewers also complained about it . Here is their quote:
"Forward, a convertible dinette with a WOBBLY table can seat four at mealtime, and then transform into a two person sleeper at bedtime"

This is obviously a DESIGN defect and one that AS needs to remedy. Is their such thing as a trailer recall?
Old 02-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #6

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , CA
We just purchased a used 2018 FC25RBQ and we love it. But like many of you, I was surprised at the wobbly dinette table. The top 'hooks' seem to merely be screwed into the very thin interior aluminum skin with no backing or blocking or being attached to a sandwiched structural member. Being new to Airstreams and not knowing where the structural members are behind the interior aluminum, I simply went to the metal mart and bought a 54-3/4" wide x 18" tall 1/8" aluminum plate, mounted it to the interior wall with screws (may go back and rivet just to keep with the theme) then reattached the table. Et Voila! It is as stiff and steady as could be! I have pics if anybody is interested.
Cloudy is offline   Reply With Quote