Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: What finish for that old-time 50's look?
Spar Varnish? 9 32.14%
Shellac? 6 21.43%
Tung Oil? 5 17.86%
Polyurethane? 4 14.29%
Other - please explain 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good info Woody.

Here are a couple of links with some good info on finishes.

Nordy Finishing Q&A

Lacquer vs. polyurethane - Sawmill Creek
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

I work for a cabinet shop in Hayward,ca.
25 years ago when I started in woodworking lacquer was the standard for most shops. It is easy to apply and to repair. Its main drawback is that it isn't very durable, especially where water is involved. I would not use it in a travel trailer. excessive heat will cause it to become brittle and crack. Its best used on furniture that will be in a controlled environment, and won't be put to heavy use.
Most cabinet shops are using conversion varnish now which is a two part finish, meaning it has a base and a catalyst you have to mix in the correct amounts for the finish to become active. It is very durable. it is as easy to apply as lacquer. The surface is durable enough to be used on desktops and dining tables. We started using it about five years ago, after many years of using and repairing nitro-cellulose lacquer on our cabinets. Since that time we have almost no problem with callbacks for finishing issues. It has made a huge difference in the quality of our products.
Some of the finishes being discussed here are not really suitable for the extremes of temperature and humidity that our trailers will be put through in the course of regular use. The type of finishes that really soak into the wood are only durable if they are allowed to build up to a film on the surface. This takes many applications with danish oil or tung oil, and it's not really practical for the use because of that. It would take probably fifteen or twenty applications to build a film. True, it would have excellent adhesion, but at the cost of possibly weeks spent applying finish and waiting for it to dry. Yes, Its possible, no, Its not very practical.
For those who have no finishing experience to speak of I always recommend trying a floor finish first. Varathane has a really good one, and there are also some good water based floor finishes out there which cure really quickly. I think waterlox makes one like that. These are finishes you can brush on or rag on. All you have to watch out for is that you don't apply so much finish that it runs. They are usually thin enough to have good penetration, and because they are somewhat thin you will need at least two coats, maybe three to get complete coverage. The nice thing here is you can re-coat two or three times in one day with the fast drying ones.
I also recommend using satin, rather than gloss or semi-gloss finish. It looks more like fine furniture, rather than plastic. It shows less defects due to poor application and damage also.
You can see some of the conversion varnish used on cabinets at the link below

Segale Bros.

Now, who wants this soapbox next?
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
That's the look I'm going for. I know it is a brittle hard finish - at areas where it's chipping off, it's kind of thick, yellow, brittle and flakey if that gives any clue. If's not really checkered, but where's its scratched, it kinda lifts. I might be able to get a picture of a damaged portion of a panel if it would help ID it.

I would bet that your cabinets were refinished or re-coated with varnish or shellac at some time. the original finish in the fifties would have been a thin coat applied with a sprayer. Probably lacquer. The thick, yellow, brittle and flakey clue says a lot. The flaking is likely a varnish or shellac that was put on later with a brush. This was the most common way of repairing a finish on old cabinets. It would make them look great, but they would yellow a lot over time. Then the varnish would seperate from the lacquer and wood with time, and you would be left with thick yellow flakes falling from your woodwork.
To duplicate this requires some yellow-orange color be added to the finish. It can be done with a coat or two of shellac, to get the color right, then a coat or two of semigloss or gloss finish. sand or scotchbrite between coats, especially when changing from shellac to the next finish.
For durability I would look at the fast drying floor finishes in water based products, as stated before.
Best wishes, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wow guys! Thanks for all the great information. I've been out of town this week and am still pondering my options - this helps alot! We plan on starting to finish next weekend, so we will be making our decision this week.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Oh good, I'm not too late to add my two cents...

Shari,

I voted for Spar Urethane! but I should have voted other because I used both the Spar Urethane and a polyurethane both by Minwax. The poly went on all my cabinets. Sometimes I used the spray version which worked very well in places that a brush might show streaks if not done properly.

The Spar Urethane I used on my table and counter top. I could not ask for a better surface. Yellows nicely as did the poly. I believe I used the satin finish for all. My counter has been in for over 8 years and has been treated as though it was indestructible and guess what? it is! At one point I left a pot on the counter in a puddle of water for over 12 hours. Nada, no problem, no mark. Wiped up the water, washed the pot.

Oh and by the way, I hurriedly applied the finish in a neighbors garage (dirty garage) overnight and I think there are only two coats. No debris, I did thin the first coat with a little mineral spirits to avoid the over tacky results on fresh wood. (Birch veneered plywood)
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, I wanted to come back to this thread and let you all know what we decided to do...

Old wood - one coat of a 4:1 ratio of clear to amber Shellac.
New veneer/wood - one coat of amber Shellac.

Each are then brushed with four coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Urethane in a Gloss finish. We sand lightly between the 2/3 and 3/4 coats of Urethane with 400 grit sand paper.

The Arm-R-Seal dries in 4-6 hours (at least here in dry CO) and flows out very nicely - no brush marks. The finished product is very smooth and shiny - like the inside of a boat. It also seems to be a very hard, durable finish after full cure.

Thanks for all the input ~

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4217.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	77052   Click image for larger version

Name:	4224.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	77053  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4229.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	77054  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I like the results, you maintained that vintage look. Thanks for the update.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Shari,

You chose well, those cabinets look great!!!

I've heard lots of good things about Arm-R-Seal.

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote