Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1

Las vegas , Nevada
Talking Where can I find replacement cabinets for AS?

We have just purchased a 1972 Soverign. This is our 2nd Trailer, but the first didn't need cabinets. The roll up cabinet doors are destroyed or missing in the refrigerator cabinet area. We want to replace completely or replace the roll up doors only. Not sure. I have exhausted my efforts trying to find. I thought Ikea cabinets, but too square and really want modular style, besides I was told they wouldn't hold up to vibration and too heavy. We want to modernize and go modular, so I also thought of stainless options, but not sure where to find any of these. Fabricators want to help, but usually huge money. Does anyone know where we could find acrylic/plastic doors or entire cabinets you see on several AS remodels online?
pdxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmom View Post
We have just purchased a 1972 Soverign. This is our 2nd Trailer, but the first didn't need cabinets. The roll up cabinet doors are destroyed or missing in the refrigerator cabinet area. We want to replace completely or replace the roll up doors only. Not sure. I have exhausted my efforts trying to find. I thought Ikea cabinets, but too square and really want modular style, besides I was told they wouldn't hold up to vibration and too heavy. We want to modernize and go modular, so I also thought of stainless options, but not sure where to find any of these. Fabricators want to help, but usually huge money. Does anyone know where we could find acrylic/plastic doors or entire cabinets you see on several AS remodels online?
Finding cabinets from the home industries, that fit your Airstream, that are sturdy and light weight, is probably slim to none.

We can help you with tambour doors.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Pdxmom, You might try to find out from Jackson Center if any of the cabinets and overhead lockers from '08 or '09 trailers will work in your coach. If so you would have to get part numbers and dimensions from them and order the cabinets/lockers thru a Airstream dealer. Depending on the curve of the wall to ceiling (radius) some may work with little to no modification. The base cabinets should also work for light weight and modular needs. If you want to go the cheaper route you can check with travel trailer salvage yards such as Cherokee Rv Salvage or Colaws Salvage as to if they have any newer damaged Airstream trailers that have available interiors. I am sure if you check you will find some things available that might meet your needs at a reduced price Vs. trying to buy new. If you want to call Airstream in Jackson Center someone can post the number for the parts/service center. I would go to their web site at Airstream.com and send them an e-mail to see if they can help you with new items. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #4

Las vegas , Nevada
Talking Cabinets

Thanks for all your help. I might try to fix the tambour doors or modify someone until I can find new or go the salvage route. Thanks for all your help!
pdxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
We're going to do "custom" on all cabinetry. I really dislike the flimsy aluminum channel ('67 Overlander). The brownish color looks cheap to me and it just doesn't have the strength I would like. I'm leaning towards using an aluminum frame covered by a thin wood (birch?) plywood. Personally, I find the cabinet door hardware in the overlander pretty cheesy. We have hinged doors rather than tambour... with all due respect to those of an earlier generation, tambour doors scream "lime shag carpet" to me.

We have saved all the cabinets for templates. Maybe it's just me, but I think if you take your time, you could fabricate something much better than you could buy off the shelf and better than OEM Airstream.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

There are some really cool replacement tambours available. This is a polished aluminum 4' x 8' sheet, you can use to cut doors from, for $253.24/ sheet.METALLIC TAMBOUR
There are also mirrored tambour doors for that disco pimpmobile effect.
It's amazing how many different types are out there.
Building all new cabinets isn't for everyone. If you can salvage what you have you can save some time and money and sometimes come up with a unique look all your own. I would only recommend replacing them if you want to change the layout or if the existing cabinets are too far gone to repair.
I saw an old AS that someone had put nice new maple raised panel doors on all the cabinets. it looked great, but it probably doubled the weight of the cabinets and eventually it will result in the upper lockers seperating from the ceiling. It's important to pay close attention to the weight of things when you are working in a trailer that was built to be very light.
Happy streaming, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
CCD Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Pdxmom, You might try to find out from Jackson Center if any of the cabinets and overhead lockers from '08 or '09 trailers will work in your coach. If so you would have to get part numbers and dimensions from them and order the cabinets/lockers thru a Airstream dealer. Depending on the curve of the wall to ceiling (radius) some may work with little to no modification. The base cabinets should also work for light weight and modular needs. If you want to go the cheaper route you can check with travel trailer salvage yards such as Cherokee Rv Salvage or Colaws Salvage as to if they have any newer damaged Airstream trailers that have available interiors. I am sure if you check you will find some things available that might meet your needs at a reduced price Vs. trying to buy new. If you want to call Airstream in Jackson Center someone can post the number for the parts/service center. I would go to their web site at Airstream.com and send them an e-mail to see if they can help you with new items. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
I've seen the CCD Cabinets being built at JC. The wall curve on older units is different, but the front/bottom of the cabinets could be used - possibly without modification. The problem? They make those cabinets from 1 inch MDF covered with white laminate. IMHO, 1/2 to 5/8" mdf would work fine and weigh less. They just take a flat piece of MDF, use a depth controlled radial saw and make about 8 to 10 relief cuts in the back, bend the mdf to the correct curve, then use contact cement and a somewhat thin laminate to cover it inside and out. Once the laminate is on, the curve is permanent. They then mount the slides for the doors and attach the side pieces.

The thing that strikes me when I see an older Airstream is that the old cabinets are so much smaller - shallower and narrower front to back - but of course the vintage units aren't wide bodies either.

You don't have to have a custom RV workshop to do this kind of work. A good custom cabinet worker can do it. I've even seen a project done by the local high school's shop class on a park model for a disabled woman - and it was darned impressive. Of course the kids were closely supervised.

Oh, and I'm lousy with the SEARCH function but I think I've seen a thread about the tambour doors.... New doors can still be ordered. You might even choose to go for an entirely different color.

Paula
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmom View Post
pdxmom,

Unfortunately, you will need custom cabinets and like any custom work, not cheap. Check out www.area63productions.com Uwe is a member here and only about 275 miles away.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
We're going to do "custom" on all cabinetry. I really dislike the flimsy aluminum channel ('67 Overlander). The brownish color looks cheap to me and it just doesn't have the strength I would like. I'm leaning towards using an aluminum frame covered by a thin wood (birch?) plywood. Personally, I find the cabinet door hardware in the overlander pretty cheesy. We have hinged doors rather than tambour... with all due respect to those of an earlier generation, tambour doors scream "lime shag carpet" to me.

We have saved all the cabinets for templates. Maybe it's just me, but I think if you take your time, you could fabricate something much better than you could buy off the shelf and better than OEM Airstream.
Keep in mind, that since the trailer flexes, the cabinets must also have a little give.

If not, then either the mounting screws tear up the aluminum walls, and/or the furniture comes loose and winds up in the aisle, or breaks within itself.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
pdxmom...welcome to the forums (sorry about the belatedness )

Keep digging around on the site and make sure to check in the photo sections. There are plenty of talented people on this site that have restored old cabinets, built completely new interiors and more. It takes a bit of time to find and digest the information but you will be richly rewarded. FWIW I have a 1975 with a couple of tambour doors in sorry shape. One is being replaced by a larger swing up door, some are going to be rebuilt. The AS cabinets of our era were pretty unique in the RV world.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
colony , Kansas
I here it is costly $$$$$$$$$ to get new ones made. AS of Ak is one place that I would look, if you what new ones.
otek800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Does anyone know where i can get the metal trim that goes around cabinets and counters in 71 soverign land yatch. it si copper colored now. Wife wantd to change color
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

It would be easier to use a new color metallic paint on those edges than to try to replace them.
The metal edging is probably a T-molding set into a slot cut in the edge of the countertop. If you search Google for metal t molding or try Outwater Plastics or Louis And Company, you might find something you can use for replacements.

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have tambour rails we've taken out of our trailer and will not be reusing. Problem is, we don't know what goes to what as they had already been taken out when we bought her. If you're interested, they will cost you the price of shipping.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Finding cabinets from the home industries, that fit your Airstream, that are sturdy and light weight, is probably slim to none.

We can help you with tambour doors.

Andy
Did you miss the part of Andys' post where he says he can help with tambour doors? Possibly a closer Airstream dealer to you may be able to get them too! The last post above mine has tambour tracks available to you if you need them for only the cost of shipping. You might be able to cut them to any size you need and the price is right. You can build your own stick frames and fronts for cabinets, just try to think light weight in all you you work up. The cabinet fronts don't need to be made of MDF if plywood would be lighter weight. Ask at the lumberyard or lumber dept of the local Lowes, Menards, Home Depot etc. Countertops can be made from plywood and formica and routered to fit the walls curves. Take note of existing cabinets (if any are still in the trailer) and that should show you how they were attached to the interior walls and floors. Be sure to do a mock up for fit out of luan plywood and that will save you time and money in mistakes. Layout is important to set up before you start building anything in as a permanent fixture when it comes to fit and finish. Take your time. I have been restoring for 5 years a little at a time and still have a ways to go. In the end, if you put them together yourself, you have the pride of your finished labors and you know where every screw, and nail, and piece of trim is and how you attached it. That's what it's all about afterall! Enjoy the adventure and take your time. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsgolf View Post
Does anyone know where i can get the metal trim that goes around cabinets and counters in 71 soverign land yatch. it si copper colored now. Wife wantd to change color
It's easier to change "wife"...
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
It's easier to change "wife"...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That was good. MY wife will be reading this soon though...
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Walland , Tennessee
1966 Airstream Ambasador - Original Cabinets for sale

We bought a 1966 Ambassador Airstream and will be replacing the original cabinets. I'm a woodworker and will be restoring them to sell. I've also got the original tub and fixtures too. Send me a message and let me know if you're interested. I'll send pictures.
elhoppy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin , Texas
HI Andy, I know this was an old post, do you happen to have access to cabinet doors for the 2019 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour in Walnut? I need the door that is passenger side (overhear), and second from the back. Thanks in advance for any assistance. - T
Air TJ is offline   Reply With Quote