Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
i've used those cheap blow up beach balls as air bags in the fridge. worked fairly well to take up extra space. put the heavy stuff on the bottom, light stuff on top of the ball.

edit; now that i think of it, an empty wine bladder would be better. you get to empty it first, then you could fill with drinking water if need be.

My Brain Project and Tech Notes
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi Airdawg - a gaucho IS a pullout couch bed. Ours is on the streetside of the trailer. Good luck & happy hunting on furnishing your ner baby!

Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That Corning Ware dinner set from the 1960's will break, but if you don't drop them several feet, they make good plates. The bowls are different, are heavy and much more breakable. The dinner ware from those years had the blue cornflower design on them. Can't remember the exact name for the dinnerware since I got it 47 years ago. We bring 2 or 3 plates of various sizes for dinner and breakfast use since paper feels too primitive. A large package of paper plates is pretty heavy too.

There are various sets of stainless pans and pots that nest and have detachable handles from different manufacturers. We got ours from Camping World when they had a sale last year and they are great. Much better to cook in than aluminum, but not so heavy as cast iron.

You will be buying a lot of stuff in the first year. It makes sense to join Camping World for one year. Usually a membership costs $20, but they have a lot of $12 promotions now. Business must be pretty desperate. You get 10% off but prices are still high. You'll find RV products are expensive. You will probably get more than $120 worth or $200 worth of stuff in the first year. You can get big discounts at CW on Woodall's camping directory since they are owned by the same company. A number of Forum members have warned to not let CW mechanics touch an Airstream. CW is a necessary evil since they have a lot of stores and sometimes you need stuff and that's the easy place to go.

We bought a small vacuum (4 lbs. and a big motor) from Griot's. You can't always get it done with a broom and since you are camping, dirt is always a problem. Many campgrounds have little or no grass, so dust, mud, gravel, and grass clippings all find their way inside. Griot's sells a lot of stuff for detailing expensive cars. You can Google it. We use their paint sealant to wax the Safari. They say it lasts a year and so far, so good after 10 months. In between paint sealant applications, use spray on wax after a wash. This stuff is easy to apply and that matters with something as big as a trailer. You'll need a plastic cleaner and polish for the rock guard windows in front—do it just as it says because they scratch easily. The metal rock guards below the windows are stainless and most any polish or wax does not work on them. You can use a stainless steel cleaner and polish on them, but just about anything tends to streak on them.

A fan in the fridge is a good idea to distribute cold better. We bought a battery operated one at CW and later found it had no switch. Taking it apart to save the batteries quickly resulted in the thing falling apart. We wired it together for a while, but that became such a pain, it got thrown out. Get one with a switch.

We really liked the 27', but for a variety of reasons chose the 25'. Some days I wish I had the 27', but we're happy with the 25'.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have found that "SnapWare" food containers work well in the a variety of sizes...they fit in the frig well and they stack for efficient use of space in both the frig and the cabinets. SNAPWARE® : Innovative Home Storage
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1998 25' Safari
Guelph , Ontario
We found containers in the fridge just took too much space. We use food fence bars, available from RV dealers/suppliers. Inexpensive and keep things from falling out onto the floor.
We used the rubber non slip matting you can buy on a roll (has holes) and cut them into approx. 5 inch squares to use under & between dishes to keep them from moving around while travelling. You can pick a roll up at the dollar store and it goes a fairly long way. At the dollar store we also picked up a variety of sizes in the rectangular baskets (for makeup, etc., in the bathroom mirror cupboard) and larger square & rectangular plastic baskets & containers for storage of various items. Everything works great so far.
Good luck and have fun!
Shar & Gord
Sharleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
We went to Home depot they have a great selection of plastic container. We use the to store everything. Perfect. Get sizes that can be stacked in the space where you want them. The come with different colored lids so you can color coordinate the inside of your storage areas.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #21
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
SLC , Utah
Leigh, thanks--I guess we have one of those, too! I love learning new things! :-)

All, thank you SO MUCH for keeping the great tips flowing. I'm down to the wire for our first trip, leaving early tomorrow morning, and our friends arrive in town later this afternoon to kick it off.

I can't believe it didn't dawn on me earlier that I'm buying and planning and stocking an entire new house, and I'm starting to freak out about time! I have no cookware, but I now have glasses (thanks Tom!), silverware, and knives. I found some great shelf liner at Costco last night; it's ribbed and will fit in the cupboards and shelves so that the lines are vertical and "might" make things slide out easier. It wasn't cheap ($14/roll), so I hope it turns out. I'm on my way out so let's find out...and now it's raining! :-)

More later...during a break!
airdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Lots of good ideas here!

+1 on Corning Ware plastic plates. Good to keep things as light as possible.

+1 on rubber matting stuff everywhere!

We have fold-up gauchos and find that rolling the bedding saves time and space. Just pull out the bed, make it up with your sheets/blankets, then roll them back towards the wall and fold up the bed. Quick and easy. It utilizes otherwise wasted space, at least in our vintage 'stream.

Our mantra is "Heavy stuff down low and light stuff up high".

Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
AIR #9
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote

contents, organize, storage