Old 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by sfixx
Tim, It might make a little sense and worth a try to leave a small tab at the very center of the corner for extra support anyway.

If the tab left is too big it will telegraph through the face of the moulding and be seen as a bump in the radiused curve. I wouldn't do's not necessary IMHO.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #72
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Angry Argh.... lesson learned....again

A buddy of mine has a friend who is a finish carpenter. I paid him to route, cut and install my tee-molding.

Turns out he never worked with metal tee-molding and used a jig saw to cut the tab out to round the corners.

This beat the aluminum molding up badly, very scratched and even sharp in places. Some of the molding got bent backwards and left perminate wavy bends in the install. ....Looks awful.

I decided to have him stop halfway through and I went home and got my dremal. I used my dremal to cut the tabs out and that worked perfectly. I was able to do my kitchen counter, but the damage was already done to the table and TV shelf.

It's too expensive to order it again so I am going to have to file the rough spots and live with it.

I should have just done it myself. Live and learn.

1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote