Old 01-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #29
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Janet, that is really sharp.

I wish I had all the tools to do this stuff. I was at sears today debating the purchase of a router. If I could justify using it more than just one use on my dinette I would get one. Otherwise I can borrow from my cousin...

Keep the ideas and photos coming. A great insperiation!

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #30
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
. Too bad I found some water coming in with smallish longterm damage to floor.
Ditto here. That was the first thing I found when I removed my couch.

Took me about 2 weeks to nail that one.

Good luck finding that!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #31
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
I'll have to wait for the 6" of snow to melt off the roof first

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:31 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Tim,
I used 3/4" Oak plywood with solid maple trim for our dinette. See my picture page for how it looked finished. It has storage under the seats and makes into a bed. I used the original leg from the factory table for support.
Dan
Old 01-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
yeah - it can get spendy. We built a new table and counter op for our minuet. They are edged with paduke - it's a tone wood with a deep cherry color. Its applied with biscuit joints and covered with urethane. We made the new table slightly narrower than the original to make it easier to get in and out. It was a big improvement. We carry some "cut to size" pieces of fir to use in the kne hole if the need for the bed arises. They can also be used for leveling and don't take up much space.

Very nice Janet. Esp like the table and the fabric wrapping on the seats. The counter trim is a nice touch, very classy.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
I got motivated, went out tonight and removed my front goucho. How can you take decent measurements with a sofa in the way after all. The space for the dinette in my Argosy 20 seems pretty large to me and I'm confident that there's room for 4 on very comfortable bench seats. I'm going to try and fit the benches to fill the full 4' width between the window and the door but that will not fit the full size mattress I want so I may need to get creative. Too bad I found some water coming in with smallish longterm damage to floor. I posted pictures to my blog if you're interested(link below).

Steve
If you are keeping the floor you might want to treat it with borax to stop the rot.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Nice job toaster. I removed the counter top in my 74 International laid it on top of a new sheet of 3/4 ply, not birch or oak just a decent a/c grade. Cut it out with a table saw and a saber saw for the radiuses. I would have used the old top but I wanted to move the sink out 3". I had never worked with laminate before so I got my brother-in-law to help me. it worked out good. Now I am ready to make a new table for my dinette. I am going to use solid 3/4 sawn white oak. The new Airstreams use ash and it makes a beautiful job.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
You can do it, with less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Janet, that is really sharp.

I wish I had all the tools to do this stuff. I was at sears today debating the purchase of a router. If I could justify using it more than just one use on my dinette I would get one. Otherwise I can borrow from my cousin...
Keep the ideas and photos coming. A great insperiation!
"He who dies with the most tools wins!"
I think that's true, at least Janet buys into it.

One thing that we all need to remember is, that alot of beautiful things have been built with out the aid of modern machines. A few well chosen hand tools, time to build, and attention to detail and just about anyone can do these things.
If you find the need for speciality tools such as a welder, that job would be best left to the pros anyway.
Short of that, I think you could do about all that is required for a restoration.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Wow Janet and Gary that looks great!

Now I am sort of bummed. We want to retain the fold up table in our but for it to work correctly It has to be 1/2 inch thick max. So that mans we cant to the banding like that.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Wow - great table - what or where did you get the metal pillars from? Did you make those? That's a great idea for cabinetry for my trailer - metal posts with tangs to support 1/4" wood between them. I love the look.

I'm always so impressed with the work one sees here on the forum. Keep the ideas up.

That Richlite looks great too - is it heavy?
Marc
Belk's

That table is a Garbage pick special. It started life as Lee Display at the Belk's nearwhere I work. They were tossing it out and I saw it. I cut the top 3ft off to get it down to a good coffee table hight, welded on a couple peices of angle Iron to suport the top. The top is even a garbage pick. It was my built in work bench from work. It hit the dumpster in a remodel and I dragged it home.

Attached is a picture of our matched book cases that my kids have layed waste to and need to be straightend out. This pair was once one. THey were one peice back to back. I cut it in half to make the pair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelfsr.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	10039  
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #39
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
"He who dies with the most tools wins!"
I think that's true, at least Janet buys into it.
That's what you think........

Over59: The fabric wrapped seat ends are standard on minuets -I guess it was cheaper to make them that way. So they had to be recovered - or live with orange plaid. Covering the ends was a stapled gun kinda job - no sewing. (which is good 'cus sewing makes me really grumpy...)

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
So, just to get this right. If your use the tee molding you only need 3/4". If you plan on lamintating you need to double up the edging to give you the 1-1/2" to give you something to work with.

Does that sound right?

Also, do you glue the tee molding with wood glue, or just tap it in?
Sorry Tim, I posted...then forgot to follow up on this thread to see if you had any questions. Ooops!

I used 3/4" and routed a groove for the t-moulding. It does take a special bit to do this, but I found one at the local woodworkers store. I then used epoxy to hold it in place, the groove was not quite as tight as I felt would hold the t-mould with all the 'road-jiggles' of a trailer, thus the epoxy. If it was just staying home, it would have been fine just tapping it in. I guess I did the 'belt & suspenders' thing ~ Last thing I wanted was to arrive at camp and have to deal with loose t-moulding.

If you are wanting a PLam edge trim, I would double up at the edge to make it look more substantial. But it's not necessary for strength on something that small, just for looks.

Foam thicknesses...the seat is 4" thick and the backs are about 2-1/4"" on ours. The 4" thick seats sit about an inch below the front edge. Then the 13/16" table top sits on top of the front edge piece and the table leg in it's low position. The 2-1/4" back foam then sits on the table top and flushes out with the seat cushions. We used a very high quality dense foam so we don't bottom out on the thinner foam and it's quite comfortable. We haven't used this bed for an 'all nighter' just naps during the day, there are just the two of us and we are cozy on the gaucho bed. But it naps very well!

Hope this helps ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:19 PM   #41
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Got some more done....

Well, I got to work on the dinette a little today. Ha! several hours... I'm slow....

It's going fairly smooth. A few design changes along the way For better or worse

Now I have to figure out the back. It would be interesting just to use extra thick foam formed to the side like on the ccds.

I'm fairly comfortable with the wood part, although I am making it up as I go. But I am a little worried about having to redo the upholstry. We paid around $650 a couple of years ago to get all of the upholstry redone. Now I am going to have to do something different because of the dinette.

Anyway, here are some latest pictures....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	din1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	10085   Click image for larger version

Name:	din2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	10086  

Name:	din3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	10087   Click image for larger version

Name:	din4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	10088  

Old 01-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Atta boy!

Looks like you got a good start Tim! As far as making changes as you go along...nobody has to know there was a 'Plan A'

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote