Old 10-08-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Question What type of wood to use?

In redoing the interior petitions and cabinets my wife and I are trying to choose a type of wood to use that won't be too dark but look good against the freshly painted white interior skin.

In conjunction with the walls and cabinets what color to use on the floor.

Our first choice is cherry finished natural, we think if its a dark color it will make the space feel small?

We're keeping all the tambor, painted white.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
wool

I thought the color that matched stock in my airstream was a walnut
It is dark but the lighter walls alway make up for the darkness

Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Craftsman

Cherry is somewhat of a dark wood ( pink and red) and it oxidizes when exposed to light and gets darker as it ages. If left in light with nothing but an oil finish it will eventually become a muddy brown. Most Cherry for furniture or cabinets is stained to produce a more even color: although not all. Birch ply (1/4") would probably be a better choice for partitions as the wood is almost white to light tan and could still be stained if desired without becoming too dark. It is also 1/2 to 1/4 the cost of Cherry ply. Maple would also be another good choice but it's much heavier than Birch for solid wood trim. A 3/8" medium honey colored oak floor would look good if your going with wood.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am contemplating an full custom interior on my 1980 Excella II. About 2/3rds of th orginal is missing. The orginal was that plastic laminate wormy oak looking stuff. I am leaning heavily towards either natural finish Birch or maple. I love Cherry in it's natural state, but it does darken with age. Also my Excella has the dark tint windows so anything to keep the interior lighter is a plus.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I agree, Birch, maple or alder are light in terms of color, and can be stained to personal taste.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I might also add that the hidden cabinet frames will be something inexpensive and light weight, we used to call it "whitewood" but typically was magnolia or beech.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
We've been looking at Bamboo Ply for walls - it's available in 1/4" 5 ply from specialty wood places and looks just amazing.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I was told that if the cherry is sealed with a "wash" before the clear finish coat it will remain natural, which is lighter than most furniture you see.

I don't want a dark color, birch doesn't have the grain of other hardwoods.

Alder is nice, but bamboo is something I haven't seen yet.

I'm going to go to a place in NY that specializes in all the hardwoods
ML Condon.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Go Blonde

Birdseye Maple would be my choice. The grain is very fine and close with swirls and little circles - "birds eyes". Finish it with tung oil (several coats) and it will be a beautiful light blonde color.

Paula
Old 10-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Anigre

Anyone seen this wood?

Creamy in color with a slight pink tinge, this African hardwood has been a popular choice for highend furniture, decorative veneer and architectural uses. Other uses for Anigre include: cabinetry, high-class joinery and light construction. It is also used for general carpentry and furniture components.
The wood has a natural luster and a natural cedar-like scent. It also has a slight silica content that accounts for its blunting of hand and machine tools. The heartwood is a yellow white, pale tan or pink brown.

The heartwood is not clearly differentiated from the sapwood. Anigre's texture varies from medium to coarse. It most often has a straight grain, but the grain can also appear to be wavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anigre.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	26823  
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I must say that my favorite two woods to use would be "birds eye" maple, or a nice rich mahogany. That would be awesome!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Another wood to consider is Zepra Wood (AKA Zebrano). It has pale yellow and mahogany stripes about 1/8" with good figure. It complements mahogany very well. I covered the sliding doors in the front cap of my 67 with it and it complements the birtch in that trailer very well too. Birdseye maple is also very beautiful. A friend has new edge bamboo floors in her house, and I am considering that for my Excella. It is very light in color, and I have dark brown carpet. I think the zebra would look good against the white, but could be pricy.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Anyone seen this wood?

Creamy in color with a slight pink tinge, this African hardwood has been a popular choice for highend furniture, decorative veneer and architectural uses. Other uses for Anigre include: cabinetry, high-class joinery and light construction. It is also used for general carpentry and furniture components.
The wood has a natural luster and a natural cedar-like scent. It also has a slight silica content that accounts for its blunting of hand and machine tools. The heartwood is a yellow white, pale tan or pink brown.

The heartwood is not clearly differentiated from the sapwood. Anigre's texture varies from medium to coarse. It most often has a straight grain, but the grain can also appear to be wavy.
Quote:
It also has a slight silica content that accounts for its blunting of hand and machine tools
That right there should tell you to stay away. It might be good for veneers, but for cabinetry, stay away, unless you like blunting $60 table saw blades and $30 router bits, effectively ruining them.

I use oak ply in our '66, stained with golden oak Danish Oil, for a perfect match. Baltic Birch ply would also be great for bulk heads and cabinet carcasses, and use maple for the frames. Kitchen grade for homes uses pretty much 3/4" plywood and frames, but I would not go over 5/8" and use 1/2 wherever you can, unless it's for none supportive panels, and use 1/4", just like Airstream did. This will save you weight.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Birch is good

The carpenter that made my cabinets found some beautiful birch plywood that has a very "old" look to it. I wanted the new cabinets to have a retro feel. Since I didn't want to go to the trouble and expense of completely tearing out the old cabinets, he made frames out of a nice alder which contrasts well with the birch doors. Some of the cabinet doors even have little birdseyes like birdseye maple. I faux-painted the ends and underside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS sink cabinet.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	35529   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS upper cabinet.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	35530  

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)