Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2005, 07:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
What the Heck is Catalyzed Lacquer?

OK, have been busting my but the past two weekends trying to refinish my dull woodwork. I've been stripping, sanding and (danish) oiling my darned oak woodwork dawn to dusk four full days ! Blech! Ive worn out two pairs of rubber gloves, I have semi permanent marks on my face from my respirator, the kitchen is done, but the bedroom area is only half complete. I'm also getting inconsistent results--wood with a small grain looks amazing, wood with prominent grain and rings looks worse. So, now of all times (I suppose better late than never), I notice what is written on the VAC FAQ for interiors:

Quote:
From 1947 to 1971, the finish was a natural finish semi-gloss catalyzed lacquer except on the exotic woods (mahogany, cherry, walnut), where the finish was a Natural Oil Finish. From 1972 to the present-day Polyurethane finishes, it was wood-grain vinyl.
Legend has it to be one exception: the interior wood of the then inexpensive 1961-1963 Bambi was finished with an opaque paint/varnish. This was done because the plywood veneer used was visually flawed and had been rejected by the production line for the larger Airstreams.

The FAQ goes on to suggest using Fornby's Restorer, then finishing with Mohawk's satin Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer reduced with the Lacquer Reducer 2255. I went to Mohawk's website and they only sell to dealers. Problem is, I can't find a dealer! So, armed with this information, I went down to my local woodworking store and asked them. The moment I said "Pre-Catalyzed" I got blank expression that could only translate into "what the * is she babbling about?..." They didn't know what I was talking about and these guys are finishing geeks!

OK, I figure I'm doomed to resand all the grainy looking bits of woodwork (or do you think I can just lay it on the danish oil--it is also an oil product?), then I'd like to use some approximation of that laquer. Anyone know where I can get it--or a brand that is available?

Thanks if you know anything!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Mary,

I'm not an expert, but I think the reason you can't find precat lacquer is that it has a limited shelf life. It's was mostly used by manufacturers (like Airstream) because it is easy to get a durable finish using industrial spray equipment.

Because it has a short (6 month) shelf life, it's not something your regular woodworking store would keep in stock. A company like Airstream used enough to keep the product fresh, and they probably ordered it fresh every month from the manufacturer.

Not to discourage you. I'm sure you can find it if you look hard enough. Call larger specialty paint retailers.

I don't know how well it will work over freshly oiled finishes.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Thanks for the info. I suppose I'm going to have to search for this. Never thought buying lacquer would become like tracking down an old airstream part! Oh, the adventures just keep on coming!

Mary
Old 03-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Don't know about the techie stuff but Deft brand finish is a lacquer and availabe at most hardware stores.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Deft brand lacquer is not catalyzed, and it has a retarder.

The retarder is to let the lacquer lay down flat when applied with a brush. I definitely think Deft is what I would use in this application
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
OK, have been busting my but the past two weekends trying to refinish my dull woodwork. I've been stripping, sanding and (danish) oiling my darned oak woodwork dawn to dusk four full days ! Blech! Ive worn out two pairs of rubber gloves, I have semi permanent marks on my face from my respirator, the kitchen is done, but the bedroom area is only half complete. I'm also getting inconsistent results--wood with a small grain looks amazing, wood with prominent grain and rings looks worse. So, now of all times (I suppose better late than never), I notice what is written on the VAC FAQ for interiors:

The FAQ goes on to suggest using Fornby's Restorer, then finishing with Mohawk's satin Pre-Catalyzed Lacquer reduced with the Lacquer Reducer 2255. I went to Mohawk's website and they only sell to dealers. Problem is, I can't find a dealer! So, armed with this information, I went down to my local woodworking store and asked them. The moment I said "Pre-Catalyzed" I got blank expression that could only translate into "what the * is she babbling about?..." They didn't know what I was talking about and these guys are finishing geeks!

OK, I figure I'm doomed to resand all the grainy looking bits of woodwork (or do you think I can just lay it on the danish oil--it is also an oil product?), then I'd like to use some approximation of that laquer. Anyone know where I can get it--or a brand that is available?

Thanks if you know anything!

Mary
Catalyzed lacquer - When you dip a feline in paint.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
It's all in the hardener

Just like Don said, pre cat has a shelf life of six months. Basically, pre cat has a hardener added to it just prior to sale. This hardener also makes the lacquer dry quickly and smooth. It will be dry to touch in 10 to 20 minutes and completely dry anywhere from 24 hours to 1 week, depending upon humidity. Items should not be laid, leaned or propped against the finish until completely dry.

How do I know this? My son is a custom cabinet maker and uses this almost exclusively (except for the hand rubbed tung oil finish on my new dining room table).

The source ---- Sherwin-Williams.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I used Deft on my stained cabinets in the house. Its a good product, easy to use, and easy to repair when needed. I sprayed mine but it works just as well with a brush.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I didn't think it had something to do with a feline, I thought it was all about the eyes of a cow. Silly me.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
I didn't think it had something to do with a feline, I thought it was all about the eyes of a cow. Silly me.
I though that was spelled cattelized licker
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Mary:
I used to refinish furniture/ woodwork for a living. Although catalyst lacquers are very durable they contain formaldehyde and will those emit odors in your trailer for quite awhile and give you nasty headaches.
My advice is to stick to the Deft brushing lacquers, which do not require spray gun facilities and you will get very satisfactory results.
We used to only use pre-cat in industrial and institutional applications.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think I might try that Deft stuff. Looks like its available at my local "Home Despot."

Thanks (meeow)

Mary
Old 03-31-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr

FF
HeeHee!!!!
Too funny!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
I though that was spelled cattelized licker
I have found out that cows really do not like being licked!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
have you hugged(or licked) your cow today?.....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think I figured it out

I spent a half day driving to 6 hardware stores in search of Deft Lacquer. They used to sell it at Home Depot, but they cleared it out three months ago. It took visiting three HDs to figure that out. I finally found a small independent store with spray lacquer, but the store is a new one and wouldn't actually be open for sale for another week. Plus, it was glossy. Finally, I got a cabinet maker at Benjamin Moore to help me. After talking with him, I settled on using semi gloss oil varnish. I bought it with some stain and headed home.

Oddly, the stain took in quite nicely, even over the danish oil. That evened out the grain oddities. I followed that with the varnish. It's a bit shinier than I expected, but I'm liking it. The results are very nice. I think I'm going to use this varnish everywhere (fwiw, Bartley's Semi Gloss Oil Varnish).

I also experimented using Fornby's furniture refinisher instead of stripping/sanding. It's brought excellent results with a fraction of the time (although this stuff stinks when the can is open, so gotta wear my respirator, bletch).

Mary
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Mary,

It sounds like you've been going through the same hell as I have! So, if I understand correctly, you did the following:

1. Strip/sand or rub on Fornby's
2. Apply Bartley's Semi Gloss Oil Varnish

Is that it?

Additionally, what kind of veneer do you have on your cabinets? Is it birch, like mine (picture attached)? If you also notice in the attached picture you can see a few dings and scratches. Did the Bartley's help to cover things like this on your cabinets?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	17073  
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote