Old 03-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
have you hugged(or licked) your cow today?.....

Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think I figured it out

I spent a half day driving to 6 hardware stores in search of Deft Lacquer. They used to sell it at Home Depot, but they cleared it out three months ago. It took visiting three HDs to figure that out. I finally found a small independent store with spray lacquer, but the store is a new one and wouldn't actually be open for sale for another week. Plus, it was glossy. Finally, I got a cabinet maker at Benjamin Moore to help me. After talking with him, I settled on using semi gloss oil varnish. I bought it with some stain and headed home.

Oddly, the stain took in quite nicely, even over the danish oil. That evened out the grain oddities. I followed that with the varnish. It's a bit shinier than I expected, but I'm liking it. The results are very nice. I think I'm going to use this varnish everywhere (fwiw, Bartley's Semi Gloss Oil Varnish).

I also experimented using Fornby's furniture refinisher instead of stripping/sanding. It's brought excellent results with a fraction of the time (although this stuff stinks when the can is open, so gotta wear my respirator, bletch).

fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts

It sounds like you've been going through the same hell as I have! So, if I understand correctly, you did the following:

1. Strip/sand or rub on Fornby's
2. Apply Bartley's Semi Gloss Oil Varnish

Is that it?

Additionally, what kind of veneer do you have on your cabinets? Is it birch, like mine (picture attached)? If you also notice in the attached picture you can see a few dings and scratches. Did the Bartley's help to cover things like this on your cabinets?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	17073  

ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote