Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Question What do you think? fix or replace galley?

I need to do something with my kitchen/galley, the counter top needs to be replaced and I need to install a new range, so my problem is do I install a new kitchen cabinet and counter top or try to repair the missing and broken tambor doors. My wife really wants me to try to build a new cabinet and replace the whole thing but I dont know if that is the right thing to do or not. What do you all think?? I will try to add photos of my counter if I can get it to work.

Thanks for all your input.
higgy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
higgy,

Sorry about your galley woes. I have seen a few "replacement" cabinets that look ok, but they are almost always a detriment to resale. If you plan to rid yourself of all the tambours for the sake of uniformity and build custom throughout you may get away with it, but watch out for weight!!

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Replace or Rebuild

If the countertop and galley cabinet are damaged beyond a minor repair then you may want to replace it all. If the countertop has the damage it could be stripped of the formica (with a heat gun) and replacement material installed on the existing countertop plywood. If the tambour doors are an issue remove them and make your own cabinet doors. You can have them done by a cabinet shop if you don't feel up to the woodworking. I would not suggest replacement of all your tambour doors... ie(Overhead storage). This would be very expensive to do and the weight would likely cause other damage issues.The best thing to do if the cabinet is to be completely replaced is to remove it and use it as a template for whatever you build in its' place. The big box stores all can order some custom sized cabinet doors so that the doors would look right for the cabinet and they can be had in many colors and finishes. You may also find something that goes with the look of your other existing tambour doors and color scheme. Hope this helps! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA

Forum member Juel took the tambour doors out and used them as the center pattern of a style and rail door.

Steve