Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Use of Construction Adhesive - Any Thoughts?

Hello All,

I am in the process of "beefing up" the framework and replacing the sheeting on the 2 mid twin beds in our 1970 Sovereign.

I am throwing the thin plywood tops out, and replacing them with 5/8 inch. The 1 by 3, 3/4 inch structure is being replaced with 1 by 4, 3/4 inch premium grade pine, with no knots. Replacing the plastic, failing hinges with brass, etc..

I realize this will add weight, but to thunder with it. Can't be more than 100 lbs, not a major concern for me, I have two full grown, teen age boys that need a firm place to sleep. My question is: Has anyone ever used construction adhesive, liquid nails, or the like, in their interior modificatoins? If I use it, could I risk making things too rigid, causing stress issues by not allowing the beds to flex as the trailer is twisted down the road?

Most likely, I am overthinking this, but thought I would ask, before I get out the caulk gun.

Regards,

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Years ago I made the mistake of using construction adhesive in the cabin of a boat. Rigidity wasn't a problem but the outgassing was -- it seemed like months before the chemical aroma subsided.

Just a thought

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Hello Mike,

I know what you mean about chemical aroma. I put the frames of both beds together this evening. I used an adhesive made by Lock-Tite. It was about $3.00 a tube at Menards, (local Home Improvement store). No foul ordor at all. White like Elmers glue, but thicker. Dries quick, so I had to work fast. When I install the plywood for the bed, I am just going to screw it in place.

Thanks for the reply,

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
FWIW,
Construction adhesive is used all the time in houses. (Thinking odor here)
If you are attaching structural members that would normally be solidly attached, go for it - no harm done.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
once construction adhesive goes off, it does not off gas, except in California where I am sure it has been banded by now along with countless other products that work well. The problem is that it is permanent. Use screws so that if someday you need to take it out , you can. Wally designed these things be be able to be repaired or replaced. I do not think that there is a need to use such a permanent product.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote