Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Updating interior of pre-2007 Classics with oak cabinets

The 2007 and later Classics with the hickory cabinets look fresh and modern, but the pre-2007 Classics with the oak cabinets, mirrors, and brass hardware can look awfully dated. Almost like a cheap mobile home.

Have any of you given your pre-2007 Classic a modern, updated facelift? If so, what changes did you make to achieve the new look?

The traditional oak cabinets are hard to work with if you are going for a more modern look, but I was thinking of replacing the brass hardware with oil-rubbed bronze, figure out a creative way to get rid of the mirrors on the cabinetry, replace the carpet with a contemporary hardwood floor, reupholster the dinette and sofa, as nearly all the fabrics Airstream used in the Classics are pretty bad.
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I agree

I agree with what you are saying.....The things you mentioned doing will certainly help change the look so do them and go from there. Drapes/curtains/blinds, Throw Pillows, Comforters and decorations will make it your own...
Post pictures too. That always helps everyone tpo see what you are talking about. Before and after.

Good Luck
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
_

. , .
while oak was used in the 'base classics' pre 07...

hickory was available as part of the UPgrade (~2000-2006)

the hardware isn't BRASS...

it's gold and stainless.

the beveled MIRRORS have a thin slice of veneer'd oak ply, BEHIND them.

that facade can be moved to the FRONT of the floating door frames and the mirrors REMOVED or reversed.

IF you like the 'look' of the mirror FREE locker doors a/s can make NEW doors without mirrors...

for about 75-100$ per door, and the oak inserts will be BEVELED like the galley cabinets are now.

(one can also make INSERTS for the locker doors from any wood, laminate, fabric or other materials)

LOOK at the back side of the locker doors...

and u will SEE the retainer clips/screws holding IN the floating panels and mirrors...

remove ONE mirror and play with replacement/insert options...

(and IF you remove the TWO tone hardware, carol (wheelinterested) WANTS TO BUY IT))

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I agree. I really liked the oak initially, but it was not available in 2005 in the 28 and I wanted that length trailer. I still feel I have the best floor plan in any recent Airstream, but I wish it were hickory. Nice thing is that oak is universally available for making changes and the recent light-colored finish is easy to match.

I have pretty much completely renovated the interior of my Classic 28 including removing the couch and replacing it with two recliners. There is a long thread on my changes here.

I went from 11 mirrors down to just one in my 2005 Classic 28. I bought some bamboo blinds on sale for something like $7 apiece. I cut the blinds up, removed the mirrors, and used spray adhesive to adhere the bamboo to the backing of the mirrors. It took a lot of weight out of the trailer and totally changed the ambiance. I even removed the heavy oak cabinet door inserts where there were no mirrors and replaced them with 1/8" plywood with the bamboo adhered. That removed a lot more weight.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
I like the oak. I've lived in a "cheap trailer" at one time in my early life, and the oak cabinets do not, IMHO, resemble that ambience. As for the "awfully dated", hey, betcha I'm looking that way too, but some folks still find me attractive. After a while, it will come back into fashion. Sure would rather have the oak in our '94 than the extensive use of plastic in the 70's.

That's the thing with aesthetics: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Gonna go admire my genuine oak cabinets...
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
That's right Jakespoon, if you want to get rid of those gold and silver pulls and handles circa 2005 I am your buyer!!!

I have my vintage unit earlier than most and will just grow older with it and might not have to do as much restoration if my maintainence is good. We will come back in style just like SS says. I especially like the mirrors and the pretty bevel, I really do. I wouldn't mind having the hickory perhaps some veneer over the formica table tops in high gloss oak will suffice some day. But for now the easy care of the formica as opposed to defending the table finish is a very nice relaxation of retentive behavior.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I seem to recall someone here removed the mirrors from the backer panel, applied some sort of stuffing and then wrapped fabric over the stuffing, tacked it to backer panel and re-installed it. It looked pretty darned good to me.