Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Question Twin bed size in 65 Overlander

I have a 65 Overlander with two twins. The current foam mattresses seem a bit weary and I'm thinking of replacing. I stopped in a nearby store which sells mattresses and looked at a Arrington Serta twin. The tag said it measured 38" wide x 75" long by 7" high. When I got back home I measured the space the mattress would occupy, and the width measured 34", the length was fine at 75". Does anyone have any thoughts on how a "standard" twin mattress would fit into a 65 Overlander???
Maybe it "squeezes" into the space provided. I wouldn't think A/S would design a unit requiring a "custom" matttress or maybe there is another brand out there which would fit....???

Director

Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Unfortunately, Airstream did and still does design with somewhat of a "custom" size mattress. Mine in the Tradewind are the same 34x75ish size as yours. Actually, we can be thankful that our mattresses at least have corners with right angles, not with rounded like some models.

There are places that will custom make a mattress to a specified size. Another option is to have foam cut to size, upholster or slipcover it. That's what the previous owners did. We added a 3 inch memory foam topper to each. A king size 3" Serta memory foam topper from Overstock.com yielded enough for each twin and a dog bed to boot. The stuff cuts pretty cleanly with a straight edge razor blade or box cutter.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Did you use the memory foam on the cushions for the gouchos? I guess what I mean is how does it hold up to sitting, and how thick is the foam its on top of. We're getting ready to order foam and figuring out how we want to do it. thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
Did you use the memory foam on the cushions for the gouchos? I guess what I mean is how does it hold up to sitting, and how thick is the foam its on top of. We're getting ready to order foam and figuring out how we want to do it. thanks
No memory foam on the gaucho. The previous owners had a professional replace all original Airstream open cell foam soft goods (mattresses and gaucho) with new open cell foam of a similar quality and upholster it with new fabric. All new foam was replaced to original specs on size and thickness, about 7 or 8 inches on the mattress maybe? The new foam is probably just as hard and uncomfortable for sleep as the original stuff. We simply put the 3" memory foam toppers on the matresses for comfort. I'm not sure that memory foam would hold up well on the gaucho. It seems to compress and break down with use and abuse. A word about memory foam. It holds body heat. No mater what time of year, I've had to throw covers off by early morning if I don't keep the Airstream around 62 degrees for sleeping.
No, it's not hot flashes, really, it's not.

Aluminocentricity
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Red face A twin mattress which is not a "standard" twin size..

Thank you all for you insight into this. I like the idea about the memory foam topper and will look into it. The fact that it retains heat may be of concern for my wife whose temperature generally runs warm anyway.... when momma is hot.... well were not happy!

Thanks again, and I'm still a bit surprised that A/S did not adhere to the industry-wide standard on mattress size...oh well.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #6

1964 26' Overlander
1966 26' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Green Pond , South Carolina
PPL Motorhomes sells innerspring mattresses that measure 34"X74". They fit well on my 1964 Overlander twin beds.
RV Mattresses,Recliners,Chairs & Tables
Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1963 16' Bambi
Thanks, thepond! I've purchased from PPL several times but had no idea they had mattresses. This will be helpful when I'm ready to replace.

BTW, welcome to the forums and thanks for your informative first post.

Aluminocentricity
Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
seattle , Washington
Just a note for those of you who may be on the uhhhhh, chubby side. I tried memory foam, paid a pretty penny for a single as it didn't some in the right size, cut it to fit and then hated it because of two things. Number one it is hot in the summer and number two it is really hard to turn over on if you are heavy. I suppose light weight folks do O.K. but those of us built for comfort and not for speed are in trouble on memory foam. It seems to not only remember its shape when you get off of it, but also your shape when you are on it and it doesn't want to forget. I found myself practically getting out of bed to turn over. BTW. This was with a mattress cover and a sheet.