Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #1
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Thumbs up Tile on an Argosy Countertop?

I am trying to attach an image of our Argosy and it's countertop, and yes that is real tile. I will do my best to keep you informed about the success. if the file attachment option does not work I will try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of saved June 7th 2005 small.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	12702  
Old 06-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stinkytwinky

Tiles are not used since the Airstream and Argosy trailers are designed to flex and twist. The furniture in them does the same thing.

Some of the Corian galley tops at this point have cracked, confirming the twisting.

Therefore, sadly, your great tile job most likely will suffer an early demise.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Thumbs up What If?

What if I were to install the countertop permanently with a rubber barrier between the countertop and it's mounting points? Would this prevent premature seperation of the grout? As for the tile it should not be a problem as it is small.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I think Andy may be right, our Minuet moves like a reed in the wind. Rubber Isolation may help... If you used a rubber based adheasive to set the tiles insted of thinset it should help keep any unwanted cracking away.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Stinkytwinky

At this point, it really doesn't matter, as you have completed the tile project.

Tiles with grout should not be bounced around. Putting them in a motorhome or trailer is ok, but don't move the vehicle. When you do they will crack.

I can't tell you when, but I can promise you it will happen, regardless what you do.

Tile installations are way too fragile to be bounced around.

But, since you have spent the money, enjoy what you can out of it, for whatever period of time you can.

Keep in mind the principal method of construction of an Airstream or Argosy.

They are designed to be flexible, and they are. Your installation is betting that the shell and furniture won't move. You will lose, if you tow the trailer.

Part of this sites purpose is to ask questions about anything and everything pertaining to Airstreaming.

Someone will answer you, or several might. It then becomes your decision as to what to do.

Out guessing the manufacturer in this case, is not a good move.

Sorry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytwinky
I am trying to attach an image of our Argosy and it's countertop, and yes that is real tile....
As an option for anyone else contemplating an alternative countertop, I have installed 12" X 12" granite tiles on the counter area of the 345. I reinforced the undersink area with 2 X 4`s (cut down to various widths in some areas) and leveled the top. The granite was cemented and grouted with black silicon during installation (only about 1/16" grout thickness), and to date has endured about two years of camping including a couple of 3,000 mile trips. I have taken the unit (very slowly) over some really rough Missouri and Texas gravel roads.

No cracks or separations yet.

Anyone thinking of tile, ceramic, granite, or other similar material should get an accurate weight on the unit, and make a decision on a case by case basis if they think the unit can handle the added weight.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
From the land of black mold

When I moved from Ohio to coastal Virginia one thing that surprised me was how fast black mold will grow on grout here. Every tiled shower I've had for the last three decades has been a maintenance nightmare. I got into the habit of stepping out and reaching for the Tilex every time I showered.

Kitchen counter tops of tile look nice, and if you have acrylic or plastic dishes and glasses your breakage issues aren't going to be major. If you have small children, before you put tile or granite counter tops in, go to your local showroom with a cheap Libby's wine glass and drop it six inches to the countertop. It won't just snap at the stem it will turn into shrapnel. Then think about your kid trying to get a glass of milk or juice without mommy or daddy's help.

Corian is much more flexible, and the seams are sealed in a manner that makes them virtually disappear so the crud doesn't have as good a chance to get started.

And I like the look of Art Tiles too, but if I ever have them again they will be single tiles framed in wood and hung on the wall.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Post In regards to the tile

As Andy said we should enjoy what we can get out of it. And since we didn't pay much to get what we got it is not a heart wrenching moment when it does crack. I cannot really see the tiles cracking, however I can see the grout seperating. Well we will enjoy it while we can, and if we have to redo it, I will probably get it premade.

We did find that the premade countertops from HD do no fit, they are 24" and the countertop on our Argosy was 26 1/4".

Well I might redo the countertop for rubber isolation, this might make it last longer. You know tiles were $.17 each, I cannot really complain, and since it was my wifes idea and her project, I will console her when it does break.

Here's to trying something new even if it fails.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytwinky
We did find that the premade countertops from HD do no fit, they are 24" and the countertop on our Argosy was 26 1/4".
:
I used this to my advantage when I redid my galley. I needed a new end piece anyway, and to move the face back a couple of inches was simply a matter of a few screws. The cabinet had more than enough "dead" space at the back to make up the 1 3/4".

Every inch counts, and I was glad to pick up even a small amount of floor space in the constricted galley area.

Mark
Old 03-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
I have installed tile at my entry and center bath floor. I used hardi backer epoxy thinset and epoxy grout. This was over 2 years ago and over 3000 miles later there has been no cracking or poping loose of tile, I only did small areas with 4x4 tile and am considering doing the same to the counter top.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
I have installed tile at my entry and center bath floor. I used hardi backer epoxy thinset and epoxy grout. This was over 2 years ago and over 3000 miles later there has been no cracking or poping loose of tile, I only did small areas with 4x4 tile and am considering doing the same to the counter top.
Sounds cool, got pics?

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Stinky,
I too decided to install ceramic counter tops in my 79' Sovereign. I removed my countertop, rebuilt it from 5/8" plywood and installed my tiles with flexible acrylic mastic. The tiles are grouted with a product called Kera Caulk from MAPEI that I got from Lowes. The "grout" is as flexible as rubber but with a very high strength and elasticity. It's been my experience that tile generally won't split unless it's put in a serious bind but the grout lines will break fairly easily. I just finished my counters and they came out great. I know prevailing wisdom says you can't put tile in a travel trailer but I thought I would try anyway. The counter top I built has 1/2" supports at all load points and is much stouter than the original was. We'll see how it works!
cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
Tile in a Airstream Trailer.

Andy is right to much flex. I am a Tile Contractor in San Diego who
specializes in residential remodels. However as a contractor with 20+
years in the buisness I have seen work that has failed early and shouldn't
have and other installitions that logic says shouldnt last are still performing.
Many times the simple reason is how the homeowner has respected or
misstreated their possesions. In response to mold in wet or bath areas,
at least in San Diego it allways come down to VENTALATION. If I were to
tile a countertop on a moveing vessel I would caulk the grout joints.
But the negetive to that is a soft joint that could soil sooner.

Ron E.
Ron Edwords is offline   Reply With Quote