Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
B.A. (Before Airstream), I had a TrailManor folding trailer with folding bathroom walls. It was difficult to keep the parts properly aligned. I drilled a 1/4" hole in one part and inserted a 1/4" oak dowel so that 1/2" of the dowel protruded. I determined where it hit the adjoining part and drilled a 9/32" hole. The dowel aligned the two parts nicely and made the assembly a lot stronger.

It would seem that the same thing would help on the sliding doors. Put a similar dowel near the top of the frame so that when the door is closed, the dowel is inserted in the door so that the door can not move vertically. The dowel only needs to protrude about 1/2" to lock the door down on the rails. The dowel would also stop any in-out motion.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
After about 1000 miles of travel, I'm happy to report that my last mod to prevent the sliding closet doors from coming off the tracks is working great. No problems at all with the doors coming off the tracks.

Now if I can just get the latches to work that well.....

Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I just looked at your avatar. The photo must have been taken at the Balloon Fiesta and if that is the front of your trailer, the balloon must be over ours since we were behind you (or in front of you, depending which way you see it). Good photo, glad the doors are staying on track.

Gene
Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I just looked at your avatar. The photo must have been taken at the Balloon Fiesta and if that is the front of your trailer, the balloon must be over ours since we were behind you (or in front of you, depending which way you see it). Good photo, glad the doors are staying on track.

Gene
Yes Gene, I took the photo at the Baloon Fiesta Rally the last day we were there....I believe Monday.

I've learned one more thing about the sliding door locks, and that is if you squirt the inside of them with a little silcone, the seem to work lots better. All else with the doors remains good, so at this time I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
After about 1000 miles of travel, I'm happy to report that my last mod to prevent the sliding closet doors from coming off the tracks is working great. No problems at all with the doors coming off the tracks.

Now if I can just get the latches to work that well.....
The glass sliding closet door AS 396XL Motor Home stays in track OK and opens and closes fine, but the latches won't stay on. Since glass runs all the way to end there is no way to attach the door portion of the latch with screws. It looks like they originally used a double stick take. That didn't work The only option that I found to keep the door closed while traveling is a wooden dowel laying in the bottom track.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Got back from our Colorado trip, now have over 2,000 miles since the sliding door mod, and they have not once come off the track once. So, I guess the mod works.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Great!

And thanks for spending money in Colorado and then leaving.

Gene
Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Great!

And thanks for spending money in Colorado and then leaving.

Gene
You are welcome, Gene, but I've got real bad news for you.....We're Coming BACK!

Oh, and one more thing....don't try to find any Shiner Bock where I was because I bought it all, and drank it!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #37
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Our doors don't come off the tracks but on our last trip out the plastic catch broke into pieces and now the door slides open when traveling. If I think about it I push a thin piece of wood into the track to hold it but we often forget. The catch is glued to the mirrored door back. Are these catches available to replace ????? Must I look to Airstream for them or are they a common item available elsewhere ??

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Our doors don't come off the tracks but on our last trip out the plastic catch broke into pieces and now the door slides open when traveling. If I think about it I push a thin piece of wood into the track to hold it but we often forget. The catch is glued to the mirrored door back. Are these catches available to replace ????? Must I look to Airstream for them or are they a common item available elsewhere ??
Not totally sure which latches you have, but some of ours have also broken, and I got replacements from Airstream.

Ours are screwed to an aluminum frame around the mirrored doors.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #39
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Check this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...oor-80739.html

Ken

P.S. I have had no broken latches since the replacement.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You are welcome, Gene, but I've got real bad news for you.....We're Coming BACK!

Oh, and one more thing....don't try to find any Shiner Bock where I was because I bought it all, and drank it!
Steve, why don't you just send your money to me and I'll send you some photos of Colorado. Think how much you'll save on gas.

Gene
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Steve, why don't you just send your money to me and I'll send you some photos of Colorado. Think how much you'll save on gas.

Gene
Oh I couldn't do that, Gene, because there would be way too many happy Coloradoans. Besides, I use Diesel.

And then, while we were there it seemed like I saw at least 10 to 1 Texas license plates to Colorado plates, so that's where my peeps are. The majority of the businesses there are run by Texans, so when we go there we are supporting both Colorado and Texas. What could be better?

Oh, and I'd bet I already have more pictures of Colorado than you.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve,

Another place you can see 90% Texas plates is Red River, NM and they have square dancing. Or Ruidoso, NM and horse racing. These appear to be attempts to colonize and establish a Lone Star Empire. We are watching.

As a show of good faith, here's a photo of Colorado ómy batteries newly installed in Colorado. Please send the money and I may be able to have you meet a Nigerian Prince.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	194987