Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Steve, you figured it out. Good for you.

Gene

Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Back from our trip (350) miles on one of the nastiest roads (CA-99) and the bigger rollers did not jump off their tracks.

I guess it is a success.

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK, I may have fixed my problem.

The closet doors are really not sliders, but rollers. The problem I was having was the door wheels at the top would bounce out of the track on less then perfect road surfaces.

I learned there are two different sized roller wheels, 3/4", and 7/8" at Lowes. My doors had 3/4", and the door could very easily be lifted so the wheels would come off of their tracks even though there is a plastic type spring that was designed to prevent them from doing that.

I changed the wheels to the 7/8", this weekend we went to a rally about 150 miles from home, and the sliding, or rolling closet doors did not come off their tracks on the trip to, or on the trip from the rally. I believe the larger diameter wheels are enough larger to make the plastic springs work as designed.

This is definitely a big improvement because with the 3/4" wheels, at least one door was off the track every time we went anywhere with the trailer, no matter the distance.
Have you taken your trailer out again since your last trip? Are you still happy with your modification, i.e. do the doors stay on the track?

We have a 2013 31' Classic and the doors come off every time we travel. Since it is still under warranty, I would like my dealer to fix the problem.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrochdvm View Post
Have you taken your trailer out again since your last trip? Are you still happy with your modification, i.e. do the doors stay on the track?

We have a 2013 31' Classic and the doors come off every time we travel. Since it is still under warranty, I would like my dealer to fix the problem.
Yes, we have taken a trip to a club rally, about 175 miles all total, but on some Texas Farm to Market roads (noted for not being too smooth), and all was well. The doors did not come off track.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just an update on this problem....recently got back from a much longer trip, about 4000 miles, and now again at every stop I have to re-hang the inner sliding door.

Our trip took us thru Jackson Center, where we took the factory tour (We very much enjoyed it, and recommend you do it when you get the chance), but I also asked about how to deal with this problem. In return I got a blank stare.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Ours have been very stable now after two trips. One of the latches on the bottom rail still pops out.

I did get in contact with Airstream (via email) and told them of the fix. They appreciated the response and an opportunity to improve things. We will see.
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 07-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Ours worked good with the larger rollers also, for a while. I'm beginning to thing the little plastic spring things at the top that are designed to keep pressure on the rollers loose tension over time and then let the rollers jump out of the tracks. Our problem is always with the inner, or Right hand door.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Same door with us.

Might have to get a long piece of u channel aluminum and wedge it between the two tracks (secure it somehow) to stop them from jumping out. It would be harder to remove the doors but I don't do that, on purpose, very often.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
i'm beginning to think some things just don't belong in travel trailers. The bouncing and extreme temps can cause stuff to act up that would never do so in a house.

But bad engineering can also be the cause.

Gene
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
i'm beginning to think some things just don't belong in travel trailers. The bouncing and extreme temps can cause stuff to act up that would never do so in a house.

But bad engineering can also be the cause.

Gene
I agree with you, Gene. But, unfortunately short of removing the doors and doing without, I am forced to continue to work with them. I do, however have a couple of ideas and I'm currently researching how to implement them.

To come off their tracks, the door rollers must go up, and than away from the roller slot. My previous attempts to fix the problems have both been related to keeping them from going up.

I'm now working on a modification that will keep them from going away from the slot when closed. Stay tuned, or as they used to say in the Navy, "standby to standby, this might be a maybe".
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hope you get this solved Steve. Extreme temps are on my mind because a maple table I made for the dinette started to come apart again at one seam. I'm not a furniture maker, but I thought I could get this right, and then thought last year's fix would work, but subzero to 100+ temps foil the intrepid (and foolish too).

Gene
Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Don't know if this will solve the problem or not, but this is my latest attempt at it. Like I said before, the larger wheels put more downward pressure against the track in an effort to prevent them from jumping the track.

These two things will prevent them from moving off of the tracks, I hope. The first is a spacer made from fiber filled nylon plastic (think slippery), and goes between the two doors, but primarily keeps the one end of the inside door from jumping the track.

The other is sort of a clip lock made from the same nylon plastic, and actually clips the top of the inside door mechanism preventing it from jumping the track when the door is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0275.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	191020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0276.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	663.8 KB
ID:	191021  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0277.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	191022  
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I hope this doesn't turn out like the battle with the gopher in Caddy Shack.

Ken
Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I hope this doesn't turn out like the battle with the gopher in Caddy Shack.
Ken
I'll be in Longmont next week. I lived in Boulder, Lafayette, Niwot, and Carter Lake for a total of 19 years.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote