Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
The Over-Under Mount Sink!

Greetings fellow campers!
So in my usual "why-do-anything-simple-when-I-can-do-it-insanely-complicated" methodology, I pondered my galley sink. I really detest overmount sinks- they look so cheap. But how to do an undermount using the fabulous boomerang laminate that I found? (fast forward through lots of head-scratching and stupid ideas...)

There are specialized laminate undermount sinks available, though at a high price. I already had an undermount sink that I liked (and got for very short money), so I adapted the install to suit my situation.

The trick to this is that it takes two trimming sessions. I placed some registration tabs that I made from scrap on the two square edges (pic #1). Be extra careful when cutting out the hole for the sink, as this will be the edge of your laminate. It must be perfect! The laminate is rough cut and clamped against the tabs. Drill a hole in the sink area (I used a forstner bit) and a good flush trimmer bit to cut the opening (pic #2). If you don't have a router, I like the trim routers from Harbor Freight for this, as they are very maneuverable and also very inexpensive.

Aftet tracing around the edge of the sink, I then used the router to carve down into the countertop the thickness of the sink flange, plus a tiny bit more. I drilled holes at the corners, and screwed in the sink on a silicone bed. The holes have to be oversize, as the flathead screws must be perfectly flush to the sink flange. That wound up being #6 screws, and a 1/4" drill bit. You don't want the sink to be able to move around.

I rolled out some Wilsonart 400 contact cement on both pieces, and waited for it to dry. This glue deserves maximum respect! If the two pieces touch at the wrong place, you have to throw away everything and start over. I used the old trick of thin sticks laid down, like 6 in my my case. Some friends helped me to position the laminate over the base, butted up against the registration tabs. We removed the sticks one-by-one, and added some silicone around the sink edge before lowering it into position.

A bit of flush trimming, and my new countertop is ready for its metal edge banding! On the last pic, I still have the protective plastic on the laminate, that's why it looks so peely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-22 11.02.10.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	265024   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-22 11.57.22.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	265025  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-23 17.09.29.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	265026   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-23 17.09.44.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	265027  

SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gorgeous!

I really love the color.

Be sure to post another pic once this is in your trailer.

Maggie
Old 08-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Gorgeous!

I really love the color.

Be sure to post another pic once this is in your trailer.

Maggie
Here it is! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ml#post1994456
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote