Old 01-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Question Tambour door in rear bath above tub stuck

During my last trip the contents of the cabinet with a tambour door above the tub in a Rear bath 1973 31 ft Airstream shifted and now the tambour door with only open about 1.5 inches. Something has gotten wedged against the area where the door rolls up. I have tried a coat hanger but no luck.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Andy

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAir View Post
During my last trip the contents of the cabinet with a tambour door above the tub in a Rear bath 1973 31 ft Airstream shifted and now the tambour door with only open about 1.5 inches. Something has gotten wedged against the area where the door rolls up. I have tried a coat hanger but no luck.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Andy
The tambour material curls up in a spiral when you open the door.

Either something is in that spiral, or the shape of the tambour has changed because of dirt and grime.

If worse comes to worse, part of the molding can be taken off, so that the tambour can be removed.

Andy

Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
Hi - instead of trying to push "up" on the Tambour, try reaching up to the "roll" and rolling it up that way (If you can get your hand in there, that is). This assumes something is not jammed in there (sometimes they just warp). Or try and flatten the tambour on the outside as it rolls up. Another option is to try to lubricate the tracks with a silicone spray. Good Luck - Rob
Old 01-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Still can't get Tambour Open

I have tried everything I know to remove object lodged in my tambour door above bathtub in rear bath model. Andy, you mentioned that I could remove the molding and then remove the tambour. I was wondering about that. The door slides sideways. Do I drill the rivets on the top and bottom pieces where the door slides and remove them and the piece that covers the rear of the cabinet where the tabour rolls up? Thanks for any help, I am fairly new to this and not super handy at repair. Althought a 36yr old unit will make you learn quickly.
Thanks
Andy Oliver
Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a 73 Sovereign and had the same problem. In my case it was a combination of the canvas backing fraying and bunching where it rides in the track and catching the aluminum track where the tambour comes out of the storage roll. If wiggling and nudging does not work it loose. Work on lossening the bottom track by drilling out the rivets. When you finally get it out cut off a 3/8 to 1/2" strip off the canvas so there is less thickness to the tambour and it slides easily. Another thing I did was cut the tambour in half so only half loads into the storage track. The tambour always gets stuck going into the storage track. Less going in and the less are your chances it gets stuck.The other half stays in front and you can still get to what you want by sliding it to the left or right.
I did the same think on the large tambour under the kitchen sink.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I had a 73 Sovereign and had the same problem. In my case it was a combination of the canvas backing fraying and bunching where it rides in the track and catching the aluminum track where the tambour comes out of the storage roll. If wiggling and nudging does not work it loose. Work on lossening the bottom track by drilling out the rivets. When you finally get it out cut off a 3/8 to 1/2" strip off the canvas so there is less thickness to the tambour and it slides easily. Another thing I did was cut the tambour in half so only half loads into the storage track. The tambour always gets stuck going into the storage track. Less going in and the less are your chances it gets stuck.The other half stays in front and you can still get to what you want by sliding it to the left or right.
I did the same think on the large tambour under the kitchen sink.
That sounds like a really good solution for mine in the kitchen .... how to you secure the draw/handle from the fwd portion back to the part that will go into the track?