Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Tambour Replacement under sink in TW

My tambour had been replaced by a PO with ugly metal sliding panels. (They would fall out when used. I bought the new wood Tambour, stained it with Minwax Provential 215, a very close match to the old plastic trim. I had to take the corner screws out of the top sing counter and the metal trim covers where the Tambour rolls into its casing. Then used screwdrivers to get the tambour into the track. Because the wood Tambour was heavier than the old plastic, I cut it into 2 pieces. The right section is about a foot long and remains in place. The left section travels and rolls up into the canister with some bit of effort still as the old tracks are bent up. But it works and looks great. Making the Tambour pulll out all the way across that opening is what makes it come apart anyways (after 20 years or so). I also did the same for the Tambour over the Fridge for what is called the towel area. As you can see by pics it goes well with the old plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0770.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	89145   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0774.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	89146  

RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Has amyone repalced the tambours and what did you use? I really don't like mine and they weren't designed to last. I think they look tacky and they are a bear to get to work right, especially the lower ones that run horizontally.

The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Try his place

Woodworker's Hardware® - Kitchen Cabinet hardware, clamps, cabinet drawer slides, knobs, pulls, hinges, abrasives, adhesives, cabinet organizers.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
You can glue the new backing to the back of your existing tambour doors while they are in the cabinet. It's sometimes easier than removing them and putting them back in.
For interesting tambour try the link below

REHAU North America - Tambour Door Solutions

Rich the Viking

VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
1972 23' Safari
Woodinville , Washington
*newbie here*

I posted a photo with a long narrow broken slider door under our sink. I believe it is the same thing you are all talking about (at least I hope it is!). I will check out the links that have been provided (my dad lives half an hour from Winona, MN so I am crossing my fingers on that one!) but if anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative as it is the only piece I have found so far that needs repair in Mabel~

mimi&mabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We still have the glides/guides for the tambour doors in our '72 sovereign if anyone needs them. Only problem is we have no idea what went where since they had already been all taken apart when we bought the trailer! We are willing to give them away if you pay for shipping. Just let us know!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote