View Poll Results: Table Up or Table Down When Traveling?
Table set up with one side folded on top of the other 15 34.88%
Table set up with both sides open to their fullest 0 0%
Table down, hanging from long hinge and resting along inside of trailer 17 39.53%
Table is a dinette or on pedestal(s) 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Table Position When Traveling

I have found that the screws started pulling out of the hinges of my folding tabletop. Out of 8 screws, half of them would not tighten because they stripped the wood out. I identified those offenders, shot JB Weld into the holes stripped out and set the hinges back in. I realize that JB Weld might be a little extreme instead of a wood putty but I did not plan on this thing being a problem again.

I never had a problem with my '77 Excella but then I always had the table set up and one side of the table folded on top of the other. On the '86 Sovereign, I have traveled over the last year with the table leg folded and table stored next to the side of the trailer, i.e. down. From now on, the table will have the leg out and the table up.

Has anyone had this problem and what do you do?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I seem to recall hearing or reading that it is best to leave the table set up for travel. Mine had a wedge block under it and was in the stored postion when I bought the trailer....but it would make sense to have it set up, less stress on the hinge.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Does your table wedge itself tight to the carpet when its closed. Both of the trailers I have had, the table wedged itself to the floor. I would think unnecessary swinging of the table would cause the screws to prematurely strip out. I have both a dinette and a swing up table in our as.. I've had more trouble with the dinette stripping the screws than the swing up table. My thought which ever keeps the table the most immobile would prevent this from happening again.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Glad you posted this

Our new to us excella had a similar situation. I wonder if that was a result of traveling with it closed up on the side as described in the first post, on our first trip out with it we noticed the problem, and it didn't occur to us that it could be caused by being closed up during travel. We just replaced the hinge/screws and so I am interested in hearing results of this poll in order to avoid such a problem in the future. We'll travel with the table up if it seems to make a difference. Thanks for posting this.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
Does your table wedge itself tight to the carpet when its closed. Both of the trailers I have had, the table wedged itself to the floor. I would think unnecessary swinging of the table would cause the screws to prematurely strip out. I have both a dinette and a swing up table in our as.. I've had more trouble with the dinette stripping the screws than the swing up table. My thought which ever keeps the table the most immobile would prevent this from happening again.
Carpeting has long since been removed and a parkay floor put in. The table swung freely from the top hinge but those were not the hinges I was having problems with. You are correct in that there was no support at the bottom because it was not resting on the parkay floor.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I travel with the table stowed. My Caravel is not a dinette model so the table disconnects entirely from the trailer and stows beside the front couch. Since that wasn't an option for voting I thought I'd post it.

I vote table removed and stowed !

Chris
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We have traveled both ways, with it up and folded upon itself and with it stowed against the wall. Lately, we've primarily stowed it against the wall, but when stowed, we use two wedge shaped rubber door jams (one on either side)to remove all weight from the table.

In the folded position, the weight of the trailer can cause the screws along the hinge to strip out. In the up position, there can be quite a strain on the leg given that the table is able to slide forward and backward along the hinge. It just seems to us that the stowed position is more stable if the wedges are used to scotch it tightly.
GStephens
Old 02-08-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
SOB trailer dinettes

I went to a local RV show, and the only thing I can tell you is that looking at all those other trailers made me happier and happier I own an Airstream.

In one SOB with a slid out I did notice that the table was free standing rather than attached to the wall. I liked that feature. The legs just folded down to make it a base for the bed in the dinette. I think it's a great idea, and the table did look about the same size as mine. It may even have been adjustable in height because of the cross folded legs.

It seems to me that the main advantages of a freestanding table would be:
  1. you can take the table outside for picnics - one less thing to haul when boondocking
  2. You could just remove it entirely when sitting around watching tv, etc. If the dinette is over the wheel well, just put pillows on the wheel well and five or six people could sit together.
  3. I sew, and need extra would just love to push the table all the way to one side to have more room when working on a project.
I'm sure with this kind of setup you'd put the table down when traveling, but probably store it leg side up to prevent stress on the screws.

I may call the RV store that was selling that RV and see if I could buy just the legs. It shouldn't be a big deal to install them on my CCD table.

Tin Lizzie
Old 02-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
If we are talking the same side table as in the newer trailers, I do notice the outer hinged section secures poorly in stowed position, and as you drive it has a tendency to "walk" or swing in and out. I can imagine this would be rough on screw holds, but no problem so far. We don't use the table enough to consider leaving it extended.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Stowed! After 35 year the sliding hinge on the pull out, swing up and fold out table on the GT detached itself from the plywood shelf it was attached to.
When I rebuilt the shelf I weighed the table, still in good condition. If I remember right it was about 24 pounds. I mortised in 2 metal angle brackets to the new shelf and added new bolts in those locations to help take the strain off the wood.

Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Also stowed on the Excella, but since it's a half-inch short of the floor, I put two inexpensive rubber door stops under it to hold it in place when traveling.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I travel with it stowed. Wth the pergo floor it is touching the floor when stowed. The table only comes out for meals that we eat inside. We have a folding camp table for meals outside, that's our table of choise when camping.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I had to replace the rivets when I towed with the table hanging down - now I am sure to have the table partly set up with the leg taking half the weight.

When I have to travel with the table stowed, as when I carried our bikes on one trip, I made sure to support the hanging end so as not to put too much strain on the hinge side (and rivets).

Pat
Old 02-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Up

I never put the table down except while vacuuming the carpet. Lots less strain on the table when towing with it up.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote