Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Table ideas

We have a 62 Tradewind. We've done a lot of renovation, but the layout and most of the cabinetry are original. It has twin beds and a front gaucho. We need an easy way for 3 people to sit and eat.

Somewhere on the forums I have seen a picture of a 1-leg table that mounts to a bracket in the floor. Anybody have a source or experience with this? Ideas about where to store it when not in use? Is the plywood flooring strong enough to mount the bracket adequately?

Alternately, does anybody have a better idea? I could just use a small folding table, but it seems somehow... disappointing.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Hi - we just did this in an overlander. There are some pics in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f157...ml#post1312030

The table top stores on edge in a rear closet and is pretty lightweight. The leg also stores in a closet. it's been a good solution for us.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Thanks... that looks like a great solution, as well as a beautiful job. Did you just anchor the base into the plywood floor, or did you somehow tie it into the frame? (I am NOT taking the belly pan off again!)

And did you make the table from scratch or buy it prefab?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1 View Post
Thanks... that looks like a great solution, as well as a beautiful job. Did you just anchor the base into the plywood floor, or did you somehow tie it into the frame? (I am NOT taking the belly pan off again!)

And did you make the table from scratch or buy it prefab?
The base was installed from above. It's anchored into the floor and we added some reinforcement (through the hole) layering in extra pieces of plywood and screwing it in through the subfloor.

The table is 3/4 cabinet grade ply covered in laminate. If you're not comfortable doing this your self a local cabinet shop can probably make this up for you pretty cheaply.

The table hardware is available for sale somewhere out on the internet although the parts we used came out of a mid-seventies Argosy.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
You'll need a flush mount base and a cone mount to attach to the bottom of the table.

Examples: AP Products Round Flush Mount Table Leg Base - Legs & Bases - Table - Hardware
AP Products Round Cone Table Leg Base - Legs & Bases - Table - Hardware

Don;t make the mistake of using a cone mount on the floor. For some reason the parts catalogs show this image and it's extremely misleading

Name:   table base.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  6.6 KB

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Don;t make the mistake of using a cone mount on the floor. For some reason the parts catalogs show this image and it's extremely misleading

Attachment 190611
Agreed! I don't know how many times I tripped over that darned thing in the families old tent trailer!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Table ideas

Greetings tlsmit1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1 View Post
We have a 62 Tradewind. We've done a lot of renovation, but the layout and most of the cabinetry are original. It has twin beds and a front gaucho. We need an easy way for 3 people to sit and eat.

Somewhere on the forums I have seen a picture of a 1-leg table that mounts to a bracket in the floor. Anybody have a source or experience with this? Ideas about where to store it when not in use? Is the plywood flooring strong enough to mount the bracket adequately?

Alternately, does anybody have a better idea? I could just use a small folding table, but it seems somehow... disappointing.

Thanks!
There is also the possibility of acquiring a small drop-leaf table similar to what was included with your Tradewind when it was new. I was very fortunate that my Overlander still retained its original table when I found it in 1995. I did make one change when the Fowlers restored its interior . . . I asked Henry Fowler to recreate the top in oak rather than the original Formica over particle board. The restored table is below:

The opened top is below:

The table is stored in its closed position against the streetside wall between the galley and the lounge. In my Overlander, there is an eyelet in the floor and one in the bottom of the table through which a bungee passes to secure the table for travel.

The original Leg-O-Matic chairs disappeared between the time when the original owners of the Overlander sold it in 1980 and when I acquired it from the second owner in 1995 so I picked up a set of 4 of these reproduction Leg-O-Matic chairs from Camping World several years ago (approaching a decade ago).

Folded ready for storage:

One of my favorite things about the free-standing table is that I can move it outside under the awning for dining or board game playing with minimal fuss. The Leg-O-Matic chairs store in a special segmented storage area in the rear 3/4-wardrobe. There are times when I wish that my Minuet had a table like this rather than its Credenza table that stores in a compartment beside the front lounge.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote