Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
San Juan Capistrano , California
Steel looking laminate Counter Tops?

Good morning everyone. We're just getting to the counter tops in our Remodel of our '72 Overlander and have noticed a Formica Steel looking laminate. Also there are a few other brands we've seen out there. Has anyone used these steel looking laminate? Any thoughts or suggestions on the wear & tear of them?

Thanks,
Ron
surferstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Hi Ron. I'm considering the same style of laminate. I really like the look. It will go with the alum mini blinds we installed. As far as the wear and tear, I'm sure the laminate will hold up very well. My 79 MH has the original laiminate and it is in great condition after 25 plus years. Good luck with your project. joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Brand? Which Big Box?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Thanks for your reply. Now that I've done more research, there appear to be several more steel looking formica's out there to play with. If anyone has anymore insight into these, please advise.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Ron, when we were redoing our kitchen recently, adding stainless appliances, I was stumped for the back splash area around the room. We had used tile elsewhere and I didn't want a repeat of that. During one of my daily (!) trips to Lowes or HD during this time, I noticed masonite paneling with a stainless look in 3" tile design. We used this and everyone who has come by has enthused about the steel on our walls to which we smile, knowing it's just a look alike. This may be over the top for your look, but in addition to your stainless-look counters, you might consider the masonite paneling in the steel look for some wall area. One of my daughters even cut a piece to install on the front of the dishwasher which also looks great. Good luck in deciding on your counters. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
I'll shoot over to HD this afternoon and take a look. Austin Hardwoods, a local supplier has a bunch of these different samples, but they're about 2" x 3" and hard to really get a grip on what a big piece will look like. Thanks for the response, I'm glad to hear your kitchen looks great!
Ron
Old 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
You may want to look at this site. Interesting, but not a replacement for the real thing.

www.alsacorp.com/

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Also
WWW.CHEMETALCO.COM
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Wow, really cool links. Thanks, I think we may be on the right track here.
Thanks for your help!
Ron
Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
With metallic Formica-type laminates, you should check the manufacturer's specs to determine if the material is suited for "horizontal" application. Horizontal is, of course, a countertop. Countertops need to be durable. You do not want to have your new installation look worn only a short time after you have finished it.

If the laminate is not suited for a countertop, you might consider using a sturdy gauge (20-22) of stainless steel glued to a solid plywood backing. The contact cement used for laminate is adequate as long as the stainless-steel surface being glued is thoroughly degreased. The plywood needs to be a void-free type such as "baltic birch". Cutting stainless-steel sheet to size (including sink and stove openings) can be challenging, but a sheetmetal shop can do that for you.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
formica

You willfind that the metal look is not for counter tops, as it scratch's.
Formica makes a silver which I used and it match's the blind's perfectly.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
also try www.kustomrides.com good deals on stuff
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #13
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
What about using real sheet stainless? I bought two pieces for my dometic panesl from sheetmetalwarehouse. They look terrific.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
What about using real sheet stainless? I bought two pieces for my dometic panesl from sheetmetalwarehouse. They look terrific.
I was also going to suggest getting yourself a sheet of stainless cut to the size you need and contact cement it into place. The shop could probably even bend the lip and a backsplash for a reasonable price. The Formica, Nevamar, et al laminates aren't durable enough for using on a counter top. The metal component of the laminate will quickly become scratched and ruined.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
I looked into several of the links that everyone passed on. The absolute coolest looking materials were from Chemetal. However once I spoke to them, they told me that they are not for counter tops because the material is too soft. It's more for decorative features. We are having some of the Formica brand samples sent to us. I've heard from a few people that they are very cool, and of course, durable.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-17-2006, 12:14 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Link

My neigbor just installed brushed stainless counter tops in his home,a cabinet company laminated and bent sides they look great. Plus I think scratches in stainless add a natural patina to the metal. Darrell
Darrell Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Has the factory ever offered this option? I don't think they have, but I haven't been keeping track. If not, what do they know that we don't? Anything? Or are we just being innovative!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I just did my motorhome counter in stainless with a welded in sink. Just got a 31' Sovereign and am planning on doing the counters in stainless as well. Buy thin stainless and simply glue it down, I will photograph the process and post it here. I will be doing a orbital finish to avoid the scratches, it looks great and cleans well.
cgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #19

1978 31' Excella 500
Milwaukie , Oregon
I happen to know that Wilsonart laminate has a great looking "steel" that would work great for you. It's a nice contempory look. Lasts and wears well. Would not show water or smudges either.
wendy doyle is offline   Reply With Quote