Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Springfield Three Stage Pedestal

I think a few of you have used this pedestal for your tables - and I believe the 22 sport has this one. Is it sturdy? Easy to use?

Reviews please.

Springfield 3-Stage Air-Powered Table Pedestal - Overton's
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump... waiting for replies.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am looking for something similar. This looks really sturdy. I don't know how it gets its air charge to operate....compressor? Have to look some more. Let me (us) know if you find something that works.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
It's a gas cylinder - same as an office chair or beautician's chair.

I'm concerned about it possibly wobbling. I can't use something that would vibrate all to hell when I'm running a sewing machine at speed.

Paula
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Ahhhh! Well, I have hot seen a stronger looking mount. I like it because it does not need that 6 inch type "hull" penetration to mount it, like other similar adjustable mounts.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
bump

need input from those who already HAVE this in their Airstream
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I bought a (technically second hand) example on eBay a couple weeks ago for 200 bucks. It doesn't appear to have ever been installed. The anodized finish, flush screw holes, etc. are all ruggedly made and in perfect shape. Weighs 13 pounds. I was a little leery of the plastic locking hardware, but it's a high strength injection-molded variety, and operates similarly to the a bike seat post lock.

Now, I haven't installed it or built a custom tabletop for it yet, but as far as sturdiness, I'm expecting very little drama. The base and platform for the top are both low profile, but 12" across and solid. The lower stage is the stronger of the two, while the second is a tad slower. There's a bit of hissing as it slows for the last inch or so of travel.

You specifically wanted to know about wobble, and my opinion is that there's very little flex when it's extended.

I just shot a quick video of the basic operation (as of 11:40 CST it's still uploading). Hope it helps.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Video is live now (I'd accidentally set it as private).
Old 05-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1982 24' Airstream 240
Farmington , Missouri
Springfeild Pedestal

Hi, I did in fact install this pedestal in my 24' a couple years ago as part of my reno. The pedestal is very solid and locks well. Also, with the mounting base there really is hardly any wobble even at full extension. I am happy with its performance of what it is supposed to do.

However, that being said, I put a rather large table on top of it thats pretty heavy...too heavy for the pedestal in my opinion. Probably 50lbs. I was hoping to raise and lower it with ease but reaching underneath for those functions is something an older person would not be to found of...Im 32 and its annoying for me.

So, if you are mounting a small 2x3 or smaller table or so it should be just fine for you. I am currently looking into an electric version of this as a replacement.
Timotreous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
This is an old thread, but wondering if there's anyone who has used this mount for awhile? One post suggested with a heavy table that it was difficult to operate. With the gas lift, seems like it'd be pretty simple.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I installed the Springfield 3 stage table pedestal in the sons 69 Globetrotter. He wanted a U shaped dinette with seating for 7, and wanted a big bed for comfortable sleeping, photo 1. The table size is about 36 by 36. We hinged the table "leafs" to fold up for a small "coffee table" in the middle position of the 3 position available, see photo. Further, the pedestal allows the table to be rotated making getting in and out a bit easier. We find the pedestal very stout and well built. Generally speaking, I find marine hardware for yachts and the like are much better built than RV hardware, also a lot more expensive.

We scouted U shaped dinettes at last winter's RV show. The Airstream had the best design, and it used this Springfield pedestal. That was our first hands on of this pedestal. It was much better than the removable type that was in the majority of SOBs we looked it. They really wobbled.

I recommend the Springfield 3 stage table pedestal.

David

Next winter we may actually put some floor covering in this trailer. Maybe...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done Bed.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	267702   Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done 2.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	267703  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Great looking setup and I really like the large sleeping area. About how much does your table weigh, and does the pedestal do most of the work to raise the table back up?

Nice idea on the hinged top, but how did you get the hinges to support the table when in the bed position? Guess they're extra beefy?

Also found this electric version of the Springfield. http://greatlakesskipper.com/springf...table-pedestal
Old 07-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The table is just veneer plywood 1/2" thick. It doesn't weigh 25 pounds. It is supposedly a prototype until we select the right piece of solid wood. The son and friends like to play cards around the table in the evening, thus the need for extra seating.

I used two Rockler table leaf supports under the main section to support the leafs. The supports slide in when in "coffee table" mode, and out when in "dinner table" or "sleeping support" mode. Seems to work.

The dinette in sleeping mode is not a standard size. I works just fine with sleeping bags or quilts, but there are no fitted sheets or that kind of monkey business. The son sets up the sleeping mode and crashes after a long day of hiking or mountain biking. Better than a tent, but not a five star hotel. Luckily he doesn't complain much.

David
Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
At 25lbs I imagine the pedestal does all the lifting.

From the angle of the pic I couldn't see the slides, but that makes sense now that you mention it.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Also, how difficult is that pedestal to compress?
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The pedestal is not difficult to compress, but that said, you have to squeeze the gas back into the struts. I put some of my weight on the table to get it to go all the way down. Then I must reach under the table to close the pedestal clamp. It is not hard to do.

I don't have a picture of the leaf supports.

David
Old 07-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Stand by for more questions:

Does it come up slowly when you just reach under and release the clamps?

Is it possible to rotate the table any when the clamps are loose?

How solid is the table supported when it is up and clamped?

How hard to install, both to the tabletop and to the floor.?

Any pictures of your install?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's not a cheap fix, and I'm an engineer (I.e. professional asker of lots of questions) 😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Your Questions, My Answers

Hello rmkrum from California. I hate to read about those awful wildfires in California. We have a couple going on in Colorado. Pray for rain.

Here are my comments to your questions:

1. Does it come up slowly when you just reach under and release the clamps?

Yep, it is nicely orficed. It extends slowly and has never whacked me in the chin after I released the clamps.

2 Is it possible to rotate the table any when the clamps are loose?

Yep, this is one feature we liked about it. It will not rotate when both clamps are tight. It does rotate with both clamps are loose (full up position), or with just one clamp up (mid position).

3. How solid is the table supported when it is up and clamped?

It is very solid. This is one feature we had to have. The "pipe" pedestals that slip into a receptacle mounted on the floor were quite wobbly. This one is robust.

4. How hard to install, both to the tabletop and to the floor.?

There are 4 holes for screws in the approximately one foot square table support. Locate the center of your table top, position the pedestal, mark the 4 holes, and pre drill carefully so you won't drill clear through your table. The floor mount is about 9" in diameter with six holes. Position it where you want, mark the holes, and screw it to your floor. It was easy even for a clutz like me.

Any pictures of your install?

I posted one picture earlier above. We built a U shaped dinette that makes into a big sleeping surface. And he uses the mid position with the table leafs folded up as a "coffee table" allowing some foot room and maybe better lounging around.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1604 Dinette Done Bed.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	267840   Click image for larger version

Name:	1602 Dinette Table Mid.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	267841  

Name:	1602 Table Leaf Supports.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	267842  
Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

Thanks for the great information. I'm sure there are others that can use it as well. Nice looking install.

Interestingly, I was able to get the electrically operated version for a fairly reasonable price, so I'm going with that idea for now. It's on the way.

I'll try to post similar info and pictures when I get it installed. I suspect the major issue will be snaking the wiring and installing the switch somewhere convenient and safe. I'm thinking the overhead cabinet over the curbside dinette.

As an engineer, I think I am duty bound to make the simple a bit more complicated....😀just for the fun of it. (Yes, that proves I'm a masochist)

The stability of a better table setup is important, because our current table just depends on a couple rubber bumpers to line up properly with the seat edges in the down position. It has slipped a couple times. A better support system, either gas operated or electrical will make it stay in place. This should also eliminate the tendency of the folding table leg to chew it's way through the flooring if I leave it up during travel like normal.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Thanks for the great information. I'm sure there are others that can use it as well. Nice looking install.

Interestingly, I was able to get the electrically operated version for a fairly reasonable price, so I'm going with that idea for now.

Is that the electric version with the domed base?