Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Springfield Three Stage Pedestal

Yup. A few posts up higher in the thread. Someone put in a link for it.

See post #12.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
That was me. Once installed, would you post a pic of it?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. It's ordered and on the way, but with the heat here in SoCal area, it may take a while to install. No power for AC where the AS is parked. It was 'only' 109 there yesterday....

I'll post what I can when I get it.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks. I'm considering getting the same one, but I'm curious how the dome looks in proportion to the table. For the wiring I thought it'd be easy to just run the wiring down below the underbelly and run across the underside via flex conduit.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I'll get some photos and measurements when it gets here and share.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Gee, I didn't see the 12v one, or I may have opted for that. Gas struts are known to get soft with age. I just replaced the ones on my pickup truck topper.

I suppose it has a ball screw and nut inside. That will last a very long time. Maybe that's how those power rear hatch doors on luxury SUVs work. Push the button and they power up, push again and power down.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I'm getting to the age when bending and reaching under the table will be uncomfortable if not painful. Pushing a button makes some sense.

Of course, this will depend on the use of a good set of charged batteries....and today I discovered that the original convertor has eaten yet another set of batteries. Darn it! (Insert other more forcefully appropriate expletives here....)

Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Smile First impressions of Springfield 1660230-E

Just got to it, packed from Great Lakes Skipper in a double box, with the pedastal base wrapped in multiple layers of pallet saran wrap to protect the finish, and firm padding in the base of the box. Total PITA to get it out, since it fits tight in the box, and as usual, I opened the wrong (top) end.

No dents, no dings, no bends seen. Table mount is a flat square of shiny aluminum with several sets of slotted holes to make it easy, base will need 6 3/4 inch x #10 or 12 screws into the floor or through bolting. Stainless hardware would be a nice touch. There is no grommet or slot in the base to let wires out of it. More engineering to come on that part, since I don't really want to dig into the bellypan between my axles to run wires (sigh).

Ok, I just spent a few minutes looking for a manual for this goodie on the web. No luck. It is, however, very shiny and sturdy, looks like it belongs in an Airstream, and has a rather huge motor and gear assembly tucked into the smooth conical base. Everything looks to be clear anodized aluminum finish. Suits.

The switch and cable are not particularly long, and the power leads are in the base, and kinda short. From a fast look at the wiring, there are two microswitch limit switches in the base, with diodes across them to control the motor limits up and down, so one of my concerns, that of jamming it, is now put to rest.

From what I see now, extending the wiring, figuring out the fuse size, and making a mount plate for the switch will be the interesting part, but what the hey, I'm supposed to be a crackerjack engineer in a former life...

The minor issue is that there is no label or other data as to what poewr lead is hot and which is ground. Actually, thinking about it more, since there are diodes in the circuit, it may not actually matter. Some careful investigation with a 12 volt gel-cell battery pack and clip leads is in order. When I figure this part out, I'll pass it on. I'll also post pictures in another post from the cell phone--easier to get photos in here that way.. I'll crimp on some .250 spade lugs to avoid letting smoke outta the wires, and go from there.

Looka me, mom, I'm doin' enganeerin' agin!

From the looks of this, I suspect this is an older design, because Springfield's site does not show it anywhere--I looked. They have others, but nothing like this. I suspect its one of those closeout deals, so if you're considering this, think fast...they are out there now, but who knows a week from now. YMMV
Old 08-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Ok, a couple pictures after running it up and down a full stroke. Motor not real loud, more a hum than a buzz. The black brick on top of the base is a gel cell battery providing power. For scale, the table mount is about 12" square, and the base is 12" diameter. It has a pin in the column so it cannot rotate. Probably necessary to make it work.

It looks and sounds decent. Not real fast. Probably at least a minute to go up and down, but that could be the well-abused battery needing a charge.

Extending wires will require cutting and splicing the black and green wires to the limit switches in the base. The control switch needs 12 volt and ground to the red and yellow wires. If its going in the wrong direction, just flip the switch over. Simple. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470197809.456087.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	268194Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470197826.254531.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	268195

Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I just read today that the special edition Airstream Land Yacht has a power dinette table made of solid wood. The photo showing the table and pedestal looks similar to yours. I wonder if Airstream isn't using the same pedestal.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I had seen pictures of a square pedestal in some Airstreams, also electrically powered.

All I know is that I think I can make this work neatly in mine. I've had the problem that the dinette tabletop has slipped off the edges of the seats in the down position. This pedestal should prevent that problem by supporting it firmly from the center in the down position.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Looks great. What are the measurements when compressed?

IF the motor were to ever fail, does it look like something you could replace?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Corona , California

It's 17" tall when down. Motor looks unique to it. Has a big 90 degree gearbox on it as well. It looks to be heavy duty.

It sounds quiet enough that it may be ball bearings in it.

I don't think it would be easy to find...