Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Also, how difficult is that pedestal to compress?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
The pedestal is not difficult to compress, but that said, you have to squeeze the gas back into the struts. I put some of my weight on the table to get it to go all the way down. Then I must reach under the table to close the pedestal clamp. It is not hard to do.

I don't have a picture of the leaf supports.

David

Old 07-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Springfield Three Stage Pedestal

Stand by for more questions:

Does it come up slowly when you just reach under and release the clamps?

Is it possible to rotate the table any when the clamps are loose?

How solid is the table supported when it is up and clamped?

How hard to install, both to the tabletop and to the floor.?

Any pictures of your install?

I know it's a lot of questions, but it's not a cheap fix, and I'm an engineer (I.e. professional asker of lots of questions) 😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Your Questions, My Answers

Hello rmkrum from California. I hate to read about those awful wildfires in California. We have a couple going on in Colorado. Pray for rain.

Here are my comments to your questions:

1. Does it come up slowly when you just reach under and release the clamps?

Yep, it is nicely orficed. It extends slowly and has never whacked me in the chin after I released the clamps.

2 Is it possible to rotate the table any when the clamps are loose?

Yep, this is one feature we liked about it. It will not rotate when both clamps are tight. It does rotate with both clamps are loose (full up position), or with just one clamp up (mid position).

3. How solid is the table supported when it is up and clamped?

It is very solid. This is one feature we had to have. The "pipe" pedestals that slip into a receptacle mounted on the floor were quite wobbly. This one is robust.

4. How hard to install, both to the tabletop and to the floor.?

There are 4 holes for screws in the approximately one foot square table support. Locate the center of your table top, position the pedestal, mark the 4 holes, and pre drill carefully so you won't drill clear through your table. The floor mount is about 9" in diameter with six holes. Position it where you want, mark the holes, and screw it to your floor. It was easy even for a clutz like me.

Any pictures of your install?

I posted one picture earlier above. We built a U shaped dinette that makes into a big sleeping surface. And he uses the mid position with the table leafs folded up as a "coffee table" allowing some foot room and maybe better lounging around.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604 Dinette Done Bed.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	267840   Click image for larger version

Name:	1602 Dinette Table Mid.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	267841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1602 Table Leaf Supports.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	267842  
Old 07-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Thanks for the great information. I'm sure there are others that can use it as well. Nice looking install.

Interestingly, I was able to get the electrically operated version for a fairly reasonable price, so I'm going with that idea for now. It's on the way.

I'll try to post similar info and pictures when I get it installed. I suspect the major issue will be snaking the wiring and installing the switch somewhere convenient and safe. I'm thinking the overhead cabinet over the curbside dinette.

As an engineer, I think I am duty bound to make the simple a bit more complicated....😀just for the fun of it. (Yes, that proves I'm a masochist)

The stability of a better table setup is important, because our current table just depends on a couple rubber bumpers to line up properly with the seat edges in the down position. It has slipped a couple times. A better support system, either gas operated or electrical will make it stay in place. This should also eliminate the tendency of the folding table leg to chew it's way through the flooring if I leave it up during travel like normal.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Thanks for the great information. I'm sure there are others that can use it as well. Nice looking install.

Interestingly, I was able to get the electrically operated version for a fairly reasonable price, so I'm going with that idea for now.

Is that the electric version with the domed base?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Corona , California

Yup. A few posts up higher in the thread. Someone put in a link for it.

See post #12.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
That was me. Once installed, would you post a pic of it?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yup. It's ordered and on the way, but with the heat here in SoCal area, it may take a while to install. No power for AC where the AS is parked. It was 'only' 109 there yesterday....

I'll post what I can when I get it.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks. I'm considering getting the same one, but I'm curious how the dome looks in proportion to the table. For the wiring I thought it'd be easy to just run the wiring down below the underbelly and run across the underside via flex conduit.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I'll get some photos and measurements when it gets here and share.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Gee, I didn't see the 12v one, or I may have opted for that. Gas struts are known to get soft with age. I just replaced the ones on my pickup truck topper.

I suppose it has a ball screw and nut inside. That will last a very long time. Maybe that's how those power rear hatch doors on luxury SUVs work. Push the button and they power up, push again and power down.

David
Old 07-31-2016, 02:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I'm getting to the age when bending and reaching under the table will be uncomfortable if not painful. Pushing a button makes some sense.

Of course, this will depend on the use of a good set of charged batteries....and today I discovered that the original convertor has eaten yet another set of batteries. Darn it! (Insert other more forcefully appropriate expletives here....)

Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Smile First impressions of Springfield 1660230-E

Just got to it, packed from Great Lakes Skipper in a double box, with the pedastal base wrapped in multiple layers of pallet saran wrap to protect the finish, and firm padding in the base of the box. Total PITA to get it out, since it fits tight in the box, and as usual, I opened the wrong (top) end.

No dents, no dings, no bends seen. Table mount is a flat square of shiny aluminum with several sets of slotted holes to make it easy, base will need 6 3/4 inch x #10 or 12 screws into the floor or through bolting. Stainless hardware would be a nice touch. There is no grommet or slot in the base to let wires out of it. More engineering to come on that part, since I don't really want to dig into the bellypan between my axles to run wires (sigh).

Ok, I just spent a few minutes looking for a manual for this goodie on the web. No luck. It is, however, very shiny and sturdy, looks like it belongs in an Airstream, and has a rather huge motor and gear assembly tucked into the smooth conical base. Everything looks to be clear anodized aluminum finish. Suits.

The switch and cable are not particularly long, and the power leads are in the base, and kinda short. From a fast look at the wiring, there are two microswitch limit switches in the base, with diodes across them to control the motor limits up and down, so one of my concerns, that of jamming it, is now put to rest.

From what I see now, extending the wiring, figuring out the fuse size, and making a mount plate for the switch will be the interesting part, but what the hey, I'm supposed to be a crackerjack engineer in a former life...

The minor issue is that there is no label or other data as to what poewr lead is hot and which is ground. Actually, thinking about it more, since there are diodes in the circuit, it may not actually matter. Some careful investigation with a 12 volt gel-cell battery pack and clip leads is in order. When I figure this part out, I'll pass it on. I'll also post pictures in another post from the cell phone--easier to get photos in here that way.. I'll crimp on some .250 spade lugs to avoid letting smoke outta the wires, and go from there.

Looka me, mom, I'm doin' enganeerin' agin!

From the looks of this, I suspect this is an older design, because Springfield's site does not show it anywhere--I looked. They have others, but nothing like this. I suspect its one of those closeout deals, so if you're considering this, think fast...they are out there now, but who knows a week from now. YMMV