Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sink Covers Revisited

I've used the search function for sink covers and am wondering if anyone has tried the Camco SinkMates? I've also thought about going to Lowe's and buying several of the white cutting boards and cutting to overlap the 12" X 14" inside dimensions of my sinks. I wonder if a router could be used to take the thickness down that would overlap the edges of the sink or if it would be better to add an additional thickness with the 12" X 14" cutout keeping the top piece in place. How would these two pieces be mated together if I did this?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi craig......

i am using this camco sink insert cutting board thingie......is this what you are referring to?

i do like it...and as you can see from the pics, it's thin enough to fit under the sink covers without raising them....

it has 4 adjustable rubber stops on the bottom....that when positioned properly....keep it from sliding around in the sink.

as you can see it isn't a perfect fit for the classic sink size....but still works great.

i think in the close up (#4), you can just see one of the black bumpers....this was before i adjusted them the 2nd time a little tighter....

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink with camco 1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	18292   Click image for larger version

Name:	camco in sink 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	18293  

Name:	camco in sink 3.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	18294   Click image for larger version

Name:	camco in sink 4.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	18295  

Old 02-07-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I do not have sink covers. Has anyone made them from butcher block? I was thinking of cutting them a little bigger then the sink and then routing the bottom to fit in the hole. I would like to hear what you may have done........

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, I have the sink covers for my Argosy, but this may be the place to ask another "kitchen" question. The Argosys didn't come with the burner top cover. It is the same stove that's in the Airstreams of that era, but just didn't come with that stainless cover. Anyone know where you can buy that cover and retro fit it. I think it should work. Any input?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Well, I have the sink covers for my Argosy, but this may be the place to ask another "kitchen" question. The Argosys didn't come with the burner top cover. It is the same stove that's in the Airstreams of that era, but just didn't come with that stainless cover. Anyone know where you can buy that cover and retro fit it. I think it should work. Any input?
You can, and I did with our Argosy. I picked up a cover at the rally flea market, and installed it in about 30 minutes, before we even left the rally the next morning.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks, I'll have to start lookinig for salvage parts. Good to know it can be done.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I dont get it...

Why are you putting covers on your sinks? Am I missing something important here?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sink covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Why are you putting covers on your sinks? Am I missing something important here?
The idea is more counter space. On my new CCD the cover is made out of the same white plastic stuff they use for cutting boards. On mine it looks like the bottom side was routed out to fit in the bowl. In older coaches they were made of a board or fiberboard covered with formica to match the kitchen counter.

I flip mine over and use the bottom side as a cutting board to keep the top nice and pretty when in place.

when I have people over for dinner, with the big lobster bowl sink, I can leave dirty pots and pans in the sink, put the cover on and put my serving plates on the expanded counter space. People can then serve themselves buffet style and sit at the dinette, go outside or even lounge on the bed. (note to self, no more saltines!) Once I complete my conversion to a gaucho I anticipate using the kitchen counter as a serving buffet even more - because I'll have small tray tables for eating.

Tin Lizzie
Old 02-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Rodney,

Has no one told you yet? Hmm. I do not know if I should be the one to impart this information we hardly know each other. But then we hardly know anyone we impart information to on this forum. We keep our names hidden are you really Rodney? Am I Really Chaplain Kent? Now I'm getting off the subject let's get back to covering sinks and what you are missing. Oh dear, how embarrassing. Let me say this delicately. In the early days of trailering this was a family only activity. One purchased a trailer and took one's family on a camping excursion. Family values were held in high esteem. Please note that all early models of Airstreams have twin beds, the thought of a man and a woman in the same bed at night was unthinkable. Back to the sinks. Early trailers had only one sink but as they became more modern the designers wanted to put in a double sink. When the first designer drew up the design all who saw it were shocked. the vision of the open sinks looked just like; how do I saw this politely? A concave moonshot. Oh, you might say this is quite a stretch but these people had been the protectors of our family values for decades and were trained to spot any deviant sight. They demanded the double sink be covered and to this day we have sink covers. You also may ask where did these protectors of family values go? Why are we allowed full, queen, and even king size beds in our RVs today. Well they left the RV industry and all moved to Washington. D.C.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Butcherblock sink covers

AZ, I took the butcherblock top off of an old dishwasher to use it as a sink cover. I cut it down to size and ran it through a planer. Then routered down the bottom to fit the sink openings in the double sink so the center of my cutting board matches up over the bowl divider in the center of the sink. It now appears as one solid cutting board with stainless steel trim and a faucet behind it. I used the original covers to determine the sink openings on the bottoms and lifting notches on the edges of the new cutting board. It looks great! It only requires soap and water cleanup, and I re-oil it with vegetable oil from time to time to keep it looking good. Ed
Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Stainless cover for stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Judy, I may still have one in my garage if you are interested? Just let me know (PM) and I will try to dig it out from all my restoration parts. Ed
Old 02-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Exclamation Wooden Cover

I once cut and routed a wooden cutting board to fit the sink. Covers a multitude of sins hiding in your sink, including a pot of water to soak off the dried oatmeal from breakfast.
Went inside the coach a few weeks later to get her ready for the next outing. The board had warped up about an inch and a half on each side from the evaporating water.
Cut the next one from plastic.

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I took the time to make a butcher block sink cover with my new table saw I got for Christmas. Had some maple laying around from a garage sale and wanted to put it to good use. Made the cover, routed the bottom edge enough to fit the sink and rounded the corners so the radius would match the corners on the sink. It came out great. I was sooo proud. Left it in place in the trailer during the following week and went out on Saturday morning and it had warped slightly. Still undecided about whether I want to route it some more to make it fit or what. I'll probably get over my frustration and make it work. Then I get to make a second one.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Liquid Nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
.....add an additional thickness with the 12" X 14" cutout keeping the top piece in place. How would these two pieces be mated together if I did this?
I used "Liquid Nails" to mate the granite sink covers with plywood "insert stops" on the 345.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Granite Inserts.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	18299  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote