Old 07-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Shelving ideas for wardrobe conversion

I am wanting to convert our large wardrobe cabinet to a kitchen pantry of sorts by installing shelves (ideally re-positionable). Does anyone have photos and experience they might help me with in accomplishing this project? Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts you have!

Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
We use the cloth closet hangar things that you can use for purses and a smaller shoe one for the smaller closet in bedroom

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds":

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page:
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
We use the cloth closet hangar things that you can use for purses and a smaller shoe one for the smaller closet in bedroom
That's a good idea. I will keep it in mind.

What I'm looking for ideally though are deep shelves to utilize as much space as possible.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Adding 'shelving'... well, I wouldn't.

In our AS, the 'floor' of the closet won't support a serious load like it seems you are planning. You will need to modify things to take the 'load' all the way to the inner floor and spread the load across a couple 'outriggers' which support the floor. From there you can 'build' up to the 'closet floor level' then begin your shelving.

Heavy items need to be low... like canned things/pots like Dutch Ovens... as you go up, lighter things.

You then need to find a way to attach the upper parts to the closet wall. This usually means drilling additional holes and trying to mount braces across at least 2 ribs... then attach the 'shelving' to that.. sounds kinda harsh ..

May I suggest rather getting the closet floor supported better then install a plastic 'storage' box(s)'...

We have the 'hanging' style cloth that has 'shelves' to hold the bulky, light items like Wife's purses, shoes, rolled up sweaters, etc..
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We built shelves, but not really doing what you are doing. But might give you some ideas:

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
2011 20' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Closet conversion

We did a really cool temporary conversion of the small clothes closet in our 20'. We wanted to be able to remove the shelving and not leave holes should we ever decide to sell. Using grey plastic electrical conduit and plywood shelves we were able to fill the closet with more than enough shelving for both summer and winter clothing for our 2 month solo trip to Newfoundland and Labrador from New Mexico. Holes were drilled into the corners of the shelving and the conduit was cut to length so that the union would support the shelving at the four corners. The plywood was sized to fit the entire width and depth of the closet. We now have enough usable shelving to store our clothing and still have room for any overflow that needs to be readily accessible. Of course we lost the standard closet hanging space but gained a ton of storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2399.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	242860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	242861  

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	242862  
silver.villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Kitchen pantry

We removed the shelves in our pantry & replaced with the ikea pull out units they sell for kitchens. Works great. Did leave top shelf due to the curve at ceiling.
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I kept it simple and removable,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	242867  
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
George & Kathy
2008 23' Safari SE
Shreveport , Louisiana
We bought shelving drawer units from the Container Store.
Silver Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
I faced the same problem when I repurposed the wardrobe in my 1958 Caravanner, 100 % gutted the 22 footer for starters. At first I was concerned with keeping the wardrobe depth about the same. I found, at Home Depot, some very strong plastic totes at about $12 each. Bought 12. They are about 12" high, 14" wide and about 14" deep. The lids are removable like a standard tote but these have another very worthwhile feature. One side is heavy clear plastic which swings up and then slides back under the lid. IN this way contents may be viewed. I put 2 side by side and stacked 3 high. Round cans are laid on their side usually one behind the other of same item with contents marked with a black Sharpie. The next can layer above the base layer takes advantage of cans' roundness nesting on 2 adjacent cans below. Most items lay flat and stack. Remaining spaces on left and right of second/third can layers are some of your cardboard boxes ( cereal, microwave popcorn, beef or chicken stock when not canned) Load density is probably three times that of adjustable shelves even when shelves are placed at varied openings. Who needs needs a whole shelf dedicated to short soup cans and cereal boxes and bags of noodles. Unless shelves are tightly packed, contents slide around and wind up on the floor (without strong doors.) Packed tightly the stuff located at the rear of a shelf is a guessing game.= content shuffling. In the totes, nested shapes are gravity locked. Totes can be removed and reprovisioned at home. I have a counter top which folds down and rests atop the 2 upper most totes. Even sitting on a short stool, bottom totes are hard to retrieve the contents. Am going to change to 3 wide and 2 high ( new location mostly over the wheel well) and replace the counter with a 42" wide one. Another such "array" is going over the opposite wheel well and holds every thing needed, candles, kerosene, 1 pound propane bottles, pots/pans, paper goods, etc. (all except cloths and linens.) My totes ride in the back of my Escalade EXT for OTR and are moved inside my rig using a wheeled foldable "Little Red Wagon" and up my slant ramp. This takes 3 full wagon trips (loads)
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
The Lazy Daze brand of motorhome have a sort of door-within-a-door. When you first open it there is a pantry (somewhat narrow, to be sure). Then on further opening there is the wadrobe. At least that's what I recall having loked at that brand a while back, so you might get an idea for an approach.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
Runnells , IA
How did you fix the shelves in place?
sid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
We put in drawers from the Container Store. We use the bottom 2 for pantry items, 2 for undies, 2 for junk. Sorry can't get picture right side up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1436844303662.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	242929  
bunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
We also tried the cloth hanging shelving unit but I must've bought a cheaper one because the top bent a lot, where is the one that we have in our house did well.
We may try either an IKEA arrangement or a container store arrangement like suggested. Though the conduit arrangement is wonderful!!

Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote