Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Sharp edges on interior formica

We just did 9 nights in our "Pete" out of the last 14 days, including 4 nights with our grandson who's a little over 3 now, and quite active. He loves camping in Pete, in fact he named the new coach for us last October. Now for the topic of this post..............

I am always looking for improvements to make to Pete, our '14 Flying Cloud 27FB Twin. With our grandson aboard this week we were reminded of just how sharp the edges and corners are on virtually all of our counter, door, and sidewall formica edge banding. So sharp in fact that you can get a pretty nasty scrape or even a cut if you hit one of these edges just right (insert active 3 yo here.....) I've done it and so has my wife, so it's not just the 3 yo. You can bump or run your finger along a countertop edge or door edge and get cut!

So, short of adding this to my punchlist of warranty items I need to get worked on, what do ya'll suggest? Is there a safe way to "file" "sand" or "polish" all of these sharp formica edges? Without messing up the color? We keep reminding ourselves and our grandson to "move slow in Pete", but these edges have to be addressed no matter what. I appreciate your suggestions in advance!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Got a close up picture of the offending edge? We used to use a angle bit in the laminate trimmer and then use a formica file to clean it up. Sounds almost like someone is skipping a step or two in the manufacturing process.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
You are absolutely right about the sharp edge breaks with formica. I have built a number of galley's and cabinets in our home. When building the tops, I'll face the plywood with a hardwood such as maple (light in color), mahogany (dark red in color), or some other hardwood. At this point I will formica the top and face. The last thing I will do is run a router over the top with a 45 degree bit. This will soften the edge and leave a very nice contrasting band between the two pieces of formica.

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	206566
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I very carefully used a fine file on the corners just barely enough to remove the point, but do not get into the underlying plywood which could become wet and expand or separate.
I left the edges not chancing screwing something up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
When we bought our 2002 19' Bambi new, I spent about a week filing off every sharp edge on the edge banding and formica. The result? A luxurious feel to the cabinets ever since.

Having worked with a lot of formica and edge banding in the years prior to getting the Airstream, I was very familiar with the problem. Getting a non-sharp trim with a router is almost impossible and I had always used a file for touching up my own projects. A fine-cut mill file used at a slight angle to the offending edge will smooth things out. Do it gently and feel the results with your fingers until everything is smooth and not sharp.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
If you are a little leery of doing damage with a file you can achieve better results with #320 sand paper and a block of wood. Easier to control and leaves a smoother finish.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Thanks for the tips everyone! I will try a couple of areas both ways and go from there..........
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Hear, hear. Our cabinetry edges are mostly tucked out of the way, but I once badly gouged the sole of my foot, when I slept one night with the tray-table down over the foot of the bed and lifted my foot too high. I'll never leave it down like that again.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
tjp
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
thousand oaks , California
sharp edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
We just did 9 nights in our "Pete" out of the last 14 days, including 4 nights with our grandson who's a little over 3 now, and quite active. He loves camping in Pete, in fact he named the new coach for us last October. Now for the topic of this post..............

I am always looking for improvements to make to Pete, our '14 Flying Cloud 27FB Twin. With our grandson aboard this week we were reminded of just how sharp the edges and corners are on virtually all of our counter, door, and sidewall formica edge banding. So sharp in fact that you can get a pretty nasty scrape or even a cut if you hit one of these edges just right (insert active 3 yo here.....) I've done it and so has my wife, so it's not just the 3 yo. You can bump or run your finger along a countertop edge or door edge and get cut!

So, short of adding this to my punchlist of warranty items I need to get worked on, what do ya'll suggest? Is there a safe way to "file" "sand" or "polish" all of these sharp formica edges? Without messing up the color? We keep reminding ourselves and our grandson to "move slow in Pete", but these edges have to be addressed no matter what. I appreciate your suggestions in advance!
you can use a fine bastard file or one specifically for plastics. down ward strokes are the key to avoid chipping. you can also use sandpaper with a sanding block and finish with 220 grit paper. you'll find that the laminate "grows" over time and will need to be re done . just remember to work down from the face
tjp is offline   Reply With Quote