Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Shallow Sink

Has anybody removed the silly shallow double sink and installed a deep single sink so you can actually do dishes efficiently? I don't need a wash, rinse, and dry cycle set-up. I want to be able to put a pot or pan in the darn thing and have room to clean it without whirling it around. I also think a small disposal would fit and if not I might make it fit. Am I the only one that thinks RV sinks are stupid when it doesn't have to be that way? Maybe some newer models have them but don't know.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I'm with you Randy. My renovation is going to include a " mother of all sinks" with a removeable spout rinser thingey. I'm not so sure about the disposal tho, that would cut into my job description! Semper Fi Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I think this is a good question! Our 63 Bambi had a fairly decent sink for the size of the trailer, and it is deep enough for what I need so we didn't change the sink out, only purchased a new faucet that has a nice long crook neck (really technical, huh???) so I can actually get a pot under the faucet to rinse easily. I am sure many have changed out the sink. The little shallow ones are silly... Don't know about a disposal... makes for stuff to get stuck in the lines easier and really increases the need for draining out the gray tanks sooner.... (other wise it will add to the odor...and fill up space) I would think twice about the disposal, but we are into fairly "simple"... so other's advice might be better!

I will return to see what others have suggested!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The newer CCD's have a lovely deep single bowl that is round. On the other hand our Argosy has a double bowl, rectangular sink a single dinner plate will NOT fit into. Stupid setup. Our renovation of the our latest project will include a single bowl that can accommodate real pots and pans.

The disposal is a not a place I would go. That ground up stuff would end up in your gray water collection unit and fester!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The reason for the shallow sink is cabinet space below. A deeper sink will eat up most of your galley cabinet, by the time the plumbing is added.
If you want to change the sink, make sure there's enough space below, or accept that you won't have the storage space you had before.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I was looking at that but the sewer drain pipe would have to changed down lower to drain it, not so simple.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I believe I posted a rant on this very topic a couple of years ago.

It depends upon your model, but I did not find it very difficult to replace the tiny double sink in our '86 25' Sovereign. We went with a 25" single bowl stainless utility or laundry sink. It is not as wide, which gave us back some counter space, but it is deeper front to back. We can now easily wash our largest plates and pans.

There was no trouble with the drain. Ours is pvc, and cutting and gluing it to fit the new sink was simple. As far a losing space under the sink, in our coach the top couple of inches was not usable anyway, so nothing was lost there.

We also replaced the drop in cooktop/oven with a smaller two burner cooktop and compartment for a microwave, plus a badly needed utensil drawer. The gain in counterspace was a major improvemant in making the galley usable.

I suppose my pictures of all this are still posted in the photos section. And why Airstream does not build the 25' Classic this way is still a mystery to me.

Mark
Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I think they should make all RV designers actually use what they design for 6 months of living prior to foisting it off on the unsuspecting public

I WOULD NOT use a disposal, you are going to run the risk of getting "stuff" built up in the tank and it would be very difficult to clean effectively. To me the ground rules for holding tanks are: Grey water should be water with a bit of biodegradeable detergent in it. Black tank, ir you didn't eat it or drink it first it ain't going in it!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote