Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Replacing Tambour [Credenza]

Answered my own question!! Best way to remove the Tambour in the credenza: Take the end panel off.The one nearest the Frig. Remove screws near the end panel.Floor , top and back Drill out top and bottom rivets [2] from the inside ,in the track rail,behide the veneer. Drill out two rivets that hold the shelf in the end panel and the end panel will come right out. [The two SHELF rivets may not have to come out if you slide the end panel out the front.] Slide the tambour out through the track!! You may not have to replace the track rivets if more screws are added to the Tambour tracks.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:59 AM   #2
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
TambourDoor

I was surfing the Forums...and saw yours...good info for me right now...because I'm working that area...and my door is sticking badly, and I want to try to reset the tracks or something to make it open and shut better. Also, I want to paint it. I painted the ones above the Couch and the ones above the Galley, and they turned out great. Also the ones below the couch turned out good. But this one is bigger...so it probably has a tendency to be 'problematic'.
Thanx again...
........Cat
Old 07-04-2003, 10:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Tambour

I see you're in BC. We're just down outside Portland. We'll be in BC in summer of 2004.

I'm interested in this discussion because we just bought a 75 international with those sliding doors that I think you call tambours. I've had 60's airstreams and actually prefer the simple wood doors but... there it is. Our tambours aren't really broken. They just stick or are hard to get open. Is there a way to loosen these up or restore them in some way that doesn't involve rivits and complete removal?

Thanks.
marc
Marc Marenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #4
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
TAMBOUR DOORS

I HAVE A 76 ARGOSY WITH TAMBOUR DOORS THAT WERE ALSO STICKING BADLY. I READ ON THIS FORUM FROM SOMEONE TO SPRAY THE TRACKS WITH SILICONE SPRAY. I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS REALLY WELL. DOORS OPEN AND CLOSE WITH EASE

HOPE THIS HELPS
GOOD LUCK

BILLY
bdbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Easy Does It

Thank you for the hint of using Silicone spray..
you have given me hope..
I can't wait to try it.
Still designing tho'...removing the one 'under' the sink in the galley. I want doors that open out, so I'm using anodized aluminum poles I got from the previously built-in bed's pull-out storage drawer which was under the bed. I'm cutting that down to make a smaller drawer under the new bed, and it will leave me with one extra 1-1/2" square tube. I'm cutting that to fit the "hole' under the galley, to attached the doors to (with rivets)...and brass hinges off other doors I removed in the process.
It's all a labour of love, eh? Some of this may never get done...but I enjoy the "effort" just the same.

& couldn't get out of some of the 'jams' without help from you all.

Happy 4th. (Sorry, I didn't come on to wish my fellow Canucks a Happy Dominion Day (Canada Day).
but, it's still goin' on here on both sides of the Border.
So, be safe and enjoy your long weekend.
........Cat
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I just pulled off the fronts of my storage area under the front sofa and side sofa. Found it easier just to remove the entire front with the tambour. (take off cushions and it exposes all). Cut the new pieces and had no problem putting them in glides and replacing the front as one piece. Hope this helps someone.
Note: I also had some storm damage that put about a 2' dent in my front roof. I tried to pull it out with suction cups but no avail. I went inside and cut about a 6' round hole in the plastic dome part right under the dent. put my hand through hole and pushed and viola' out popped the dent. This might not work if it's a crease. I connected a thin (paint stirrer) board to back of the cut out piece, placed it back in the hold and used rivet to hold in place. Then used small amount of automobile repair putty to fill in hole, sanded the whole thing and then repainted this section. Used a sponge to dab over the entire area with a darker paint and this covered any imperfections. Looks like it came from the factory this way. Hope this information helps. ken
krwrite is offline   Reply With Quote