Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Replacing Sink and Faucet in Galley

I have been through the vast majority of threads in this particuar forum and I have one question remaining on sinks and faucets. Being a relative newbie I donít know if I can use any faucet I want or are there specific faucets necessary because it will be used in a travel trailer? Can the pressurized water system in my 1975 Argosy pretty much handle any faucet designed for home use?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We replaced both the kitchen faucet and wash-basin faucet with standard plumbing products several years ago. There have been absolutely no problems. Household water supplies are pressurized (by the water company), so we never saw any reason to consider our Airstream system as distinctly different.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Last Summer I replaced the faucets for both the kitchen and, the water locker. Aha...forgot, the shower's faucet also
No problems at all..Just be sure that you use the same hole spacing as the old..Took maybe 15 or 20 minutes on each? Took pictures of the work, so maybe that's why..lol
Have fun~!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Generally, a standard household faucet and apartment-sized sink will fit the bill.
In fact, I replaced the old and crusty cheap plastic faucet in our bathroom with a new household model yesterday. Simple out and in. Took all of 30 minutes, and a galley sink should take about the same.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Replaced the kitchen faucet in my Argosy with a "bar" faucet to reach over the sink. There are several models now that will go there as well. Never was able to replace the faucet in the bathroom because you would have to completely remove the sink to get to the plumbing. Thought about it, but never was bothered by the one that came in it enough to go through that. I hope yours is not as difficult. We've never had any trouble with the kitchen replacement and the household faucets are much better quality than you can get at the RV supply places. Plastic is not that attractive.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
What a coincidence, I just put new washers in my galley sink today. can't seem to get the handles to stop leaking though, guess I'll have to put that on my list for the restoration rally this weekend .

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664
Member of the Four Corners Unit

The only true failure is the failure to try.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Thanks, Tim A. I had my suspicions but really wanted to hear that someone else had done it without repercussion.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Replacement Topics

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiredog300
What a coincidence, I just put new washers in my galley sink today. can't seem to get the handles to stop leaking though, guess I'll have to put that on my list for the restoration rally this weekend .
Hi Jerry,

If you put something modern in, you can kiss washers goodbye. Has anyone hooked up a drain that operates via a handle on the faucet (in the bathroom)? That would be reason enough for me to replace, and I am considering it. Have already replaced the one in the galley.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
If you only replaced the bottom bib washers it will still leak out of the handles unless you replace the o-ring or stem (bonnet) gasket. Another poster suggested a "modern" faucet with no washers. No such thing. All faucets have washers of different types. I was at a plumbing lecture a couple of years ago that discussed "washerless faucets". The lector stated that they were misnamed "less washers" faucets!

If your faucet is dripping out the spigot then either the bib washer or washer and spring on a washerless are gone. If it is a standard old type washer the seat may also be bad. If it is leaking out the stem then the o-ring or bonnet washer is bad or needs to be tightened.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
If you only replaced the bottom bib washers it will still leak out of the handles unless you replace the o-ring or stem gasket. "If you put something modern in, you can kiss washers goodbye." No such thing. All faucets have washers of different types. I was at a plumbing lecture a couple of years ago that discussed "washerless faucets". The lector stated that they were misnamed "less washers" faucets!

If your faucet is dripping out the spigot then either the bib washer or washer and spring on a washerless are gone. If it is a standard old type washer the seat may also be bad. If it is leaking out the stem then the o-ring or bonnet washer is bad and needs to be replaced or tightened.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Never was able to replace the faucet in the bathroom because you would have to completely remove the sink to get to the plumbing.
Our bath faucet is accessed through the rear hatch, open the hatch, move the cover out of the way,and you can reach up and unscrew the lines and nuts holding the faucet in place. I can take a couple of pictures of both the kitchen faucet underneath and bath faucet underneath if y'all would like.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Argosys don't have a rear hatch. No way to get this sink faucet out except pull that whole thing out. Tried everything, RV man tried what he could. Just left it alone for now.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Argosys don't have a rear hatch. No way to get this sink faucet out except pull that whole thing out. Tried everything, RV man tried what he could. Just left it alone for now.
I guess the time to upgrade would be if the old one tears up...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
Weekend Warrior

2000 34' Excella
1987 29' Sovereign
Pace , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Jerry,

If you put something modern in, you can kiss washers goodbye. Has anyone hooked up a drain that operates via a handle on the faucet (in the bathroom)? That would be reason enough for me to replace, and I am considering it. Have already replaced the one in the galley.
Hello,
Please see my post on "Bathroom fit for a king" and you'll see the end product of a household basin and faucet replacement, complete with sink stopper and handle. Not a bad job. It can be done in approx 1.5 hours. The biggest part of the job is cutting the larger hole for the basin. I'm not sure if the normal sink drains will fit the old plastic basin. Have fun.....WWW

2000 Excella 34'
2003 Suburban 1500 tow vehicle
Mr.Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote