Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Caistor Center , Ontario
Send a message via AIM to Paul and Sue
Replacing front couch in Tradewind

I have a 79 Tradewind and am thinking of replacing the couch at the front with a Lazy Boy love seat or small couch with two built in recliners. Anybody tried this.
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs down Sure - why not?

Hey Paul and Sue - Welcome to the forum.

We have a 67 Sovereign that was minus the L- shaped gaucho in the front, so we are starting from scratch with furniture. We plan on being comfortable and will install at least one recliner and some other comfy chair or love seat. The problem will be getting something that will fit through that 29 1/2 " door.

We priced the small recliners at Camping World. They are over $500 and my hubby's head hung over the back.

Anything is possible, just take lots of measurements and have fun making your Tradewind your own with your own personality.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Replacing front couch in Tradewind

It shouldn't be too difficult finding a Lazy-Boy recliner or a Lazy-Boy Loveseat with dual-recliners that will fit through the Airstream door. The back of both the regular recliner and the twin recliner loveseat that I have can easily be removed by releasing a safety catch on each hinge that allows the hinge-halves to separate and the back simply lifts out of the base. It made my movers job much easier as I had one of the twin-recline loveseats and six of the recliners in my house last fall when I moved South.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
replacing front couch/gaucho

You need to bear in mind that your fresh water tank is beneath the existing couch and the couch is framed around it.
Lazy boys or standard couches will not snug up to the front wall.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul and Sue
I have a 79 Tradewind and am thinking of replacing the couch at the front with a Lazy Boy love seat or small couch with two built in recliners. Anybody tried this.
Yes, We have a Leather Sofa in place of the gaucho. Very comfy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4288385d.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	12202  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
You need to bear in mind that your fresh water tank is beneath the existing couch and the couch is framed around it.
Lazy boys or standard couches will not snug up to the front wall.
Roger, I THINK in that Tradewind the water tank is beneath the floor under the galley area. At least that is what reliable sources (someone that had one) told me.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Sounds like a plan in the making! Assuming you actually have a goucho in the front, PM us if you are not planning to keep the hardware for the goucho.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:00 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul and Sue
One of the local WBCCI members has done this to an Argosy24, they have installed twin reclining conversion van seats. they face rear, and swivel, and IIRC, they can face each other, and recline, to make a sort of bed for a single guest. I am guessing the arms on the seatbacks remain in the open position to keep the occupant from rolling over, and falling out of bed.
The same coach has a two part air conditioner, one part mounts on the tongue, then the refrigerant lines go into the coach, and the evaporator part is mounted over the two aformentioned chairs, on the front end cap. It is better aerodynamically, and it is one less hole in the roof to leak.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Check out this RV sofa recliner

This was made for RVs, weighs about 165 lbs total and comes in 3 pieces. I have made measurements of the sofa space in my 67 Overlander and I think it will clear the fresh water tank shelf, but I will have to cut down my original table or better yet just make one that is not as wide to make it all work. Won't really know of course unless I spend the time and money.

RV Furniture Seats Custom Motorhome Accessories Phoenix