Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Edinboro , Pennsylvania
Replacing Dinette with Free Standing Table

Dinette is useless for my needs. Would prefer a free standing table and chairs for quilting/fly tying. What is involved in removing the booth seats? What is involved in removing the entire dinette? What floor issues can I expect? Will this present a trailer balance problem? Have looked at all other threads on this forum related to this issue and nothing is on point. Ergo, reason for starting this new thread. By the way, the airstream is a 34' classic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
air2stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think (don't hold me to it) Airstream actually made sometime similar to what your describing on the 31 footer. Since that time however, many models have been suspended including the 31 and 34 footers, but parts might still be avail.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
An Airstream neighbor in Florida just removed their dinette - it was all secured with screws and did come out. They did this at a time when they replaced their carpet with hardwood. They purchased a table that had a fold out leaf - and simply purchased 2 new chairs. Best of success.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
34front kitchen with fold down table

Here's a pic of our 34 front kitchen that came with a factory installed table - as far as we know, this is only one of several that had this option. All other front kitchens have a dinette.

Since the picture was taken, we've added narrow side shelves along the wall, changed the upholstery, & redid the floor.
Willyd is correct in that you will have to perhaps look at this mod when replacing the floor covering. We did a similar modification on a previous trailer & found that the removed "furniture" left its mark on the floor underneath. When we did this, we were tempted to just have an "island" of contrasting flooring in the modified area but got carried away & laid new cork flooring in the entire trailer.

I'm not sure how to address the balance issue, although I would check to see if the factory used to area under the dinette to run any services, i.e. wiring harnesses, etc. You might have to accommodate some "out of sight, out of mind" installation practices.

Good luck on your project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34 fk table.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	82070  
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Edinboro , Pennsylvania
Replacing Dinette with Free Standing Table

Thanks to all of you who responded and pointed out possible cosmetic floor and wiring service issues after removal. Was also cheered to know that some of you have added shelves in your remodel. Since we each enjoy a hobby that requires some essential materials on demand, creative storage and space are needed.
air2stream is offline   Reply With Quote