Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Replacing credenza and lower tambour doors

I have repaired and replaced all of my tambour doors except in the credenza, control center and under the sink counters. It looks like I need to take the counter tops off and/or do some significant dissassembly to get at them. Has anybody out there tacked this? Any advice?

FYI I was pretty successful on the other overhead and under bed tambours. I salvaged the old ones by first putting strips of aluminum tape at right angles to the tambour about every 9" and then adding a layer of nylon packcloth backing with contact cement. The packcloth I got from Rockywoods Fabrics in Colorado. The tabour doors under the sink and in the credenza are too far gone to salvage, so I will probably buy a new sheet of tambour material.

Also if anyone out there has any extra anodized aluminum handles? I am interested $.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I took apart the sink cabinet and fridge cabinet in my 71 a while back.
It looks like alot of work, but if you're systematic, than it is quite easy. And you are right, it is best to at least partially disassemble the cabinets to get at the tambour hardware.
In my case, I found added benefit in being able to clean thoroughly behind the cabinets, eliminating a major source of odor, as I found out after doing the repairs. Also found a very small drip from a water line under the sink.
Prepare for a small " can of worms" whenever you start disassembly of a vintage Airstream.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thanks Uwe,
Haven't found any worms yet, just mice.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote