Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Exclamation Replacing 1966 original handles without cutting door.

When we purchased the Airstream only two original latches remained in the bathroom. All of the others have been replaced with Brass push button catches like these and the old holes filled.

The last few trips have ended with at least two catches breaking. I am tired of the cardboard shoved in the latches to keep them closed! We were about to order all new brass push button catches to replace them all, but I never liked the look of them. I know it is virtually impossible to get the original latches and since I need 20 of them, I guess I will just give up on that possibility. I also looked into the 70's model catches but don't like the plastic look and the husband says no to cutting the doors! I did come across some Pinch Squeeze Catches like these:

(the button part of the catch over hangs the door and covers the clip) Has anyone tried them? How do the holes line up with the original catch holes or does it cover them? I know I will be left with one small hole from the Push button catches, but that will be easily filled and disappear.Should I stick with the push Buttons or give the Pinch Squeeze a try? Is there another option I have missed?
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags