Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replace Gaucho with recliners?

WE are very seriously considering taking out the gaucho (couch) from our 1988 29' Excella and replacing it with recliners. Any thoughts? I know it has been done. We would then offer the couch on here to someone. It is in good shape and was recently recovered, we just need to change for heatlh reasons.
Thanks for advice.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
It would be a great idea and I am sure that someone including myself would be very interested. The first question on everyones minds would be is where do you live? As I am sure you don't intend to ship this. Oh yes welcome to the forum. Post some pics if you can also would be helpful.

SL
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I've had the same thought. I went over to C&G Trailer Service here in Lakewood/Paramount, Calif. They have done the conversion for other AS's. They're response was... If it can fit through the door they can install it.
In a few years I want to convert to recliner type beds. They are available and can be even custom made for you.

r/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Recliner Suggestion

Not a replacement, just an addition. I put a Lane recliner/ottoman combo in my 34’ Excella. Plenty of room without taking out the gaucho. The open space beneath the seat and the ottoman preserves a spacious feeling by not having the blocky look that recliners can have.

Vaughan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seating-Area.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	41175  
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Recliner addition.

VEry nice. But you have quite a bit more space in there than I have.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Keep the jackknife sofa if you take it out! The po of my Argosy did the recliner thing, but threw away the jackknife. I wanted to restore it back to org.condition (because it's rare) as the po (org.owner) had some very "goofy" interier decorerating idea's. Look at pics posted on my gallery! I had a hard time finding another jackknife sofa (used) from an Airstream. A brand new sofa is quite expensive if you have to replace it...Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Recliner Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog
VEry nice. But you have quite a bit more space in there than I have.
I realize that. I am reveling in it after years in the 24’ Trade Wind. I was just thinking that a couple of the Lane recliner/ottoman combos might work well for you. I do agree that you should keep the gaucho in case you want to sell in the future.

Let us know what you decide, and put up pictures.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have seen it done and have considered it, but I really don't want to loose my couch. If you decide to go the route of the recliners by all means don't discard your gaucho. If and when you go to sell your unit it could be a deal breaker if its not available.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Done it, love it.

We just finished switching from the front Gaucho to recliners in our '69 Sovereign. I found the Gaucho to be uncomfortable as a sofa and as a bed. The two full size recliners sit side by side, facing the rear of the trailer, with about 6-8 inches between them.(If you turn them on their sides and open them all the way up most recliners will fit through the door.) That is enough space to reach between for the handle on the one on the left, and leaving enough space on the side of the one of the right to reach that handle too.

The only problem has been resolving the amount of space needed behind the recliners. Neither one of them needs a lot of space behind it to lean back, but the water tank behind them sticks up about 8 inches. That cuts into the floor space by forcing the recliners forward by a foot or more. I have enclosed the tank and am going to use the area above it as a storage space for extra stuff for now. The other option would be to remove the tank and reinstall it beneath the floor but that would require a bit of metal work, but might be a good solution. Or maybe I can raise the whole area of the floor that the recliners sit on, to the level of the tank and have a "split level" living room. As they say "any job worth doing is worth overdoing."

cheers, bill b.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

The trailer size recliners can be purchased from a Flexsteel vendor though we went to a nearby Lazi-Boy furniture store where we were able to order real nice slightly smaller recliners. We found them much more comfortable than the gaucho.

A note. If you take out your gaucho try keep it is you can. When you go to sell your trailer in the fututre the buyers may prefer the couch.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
sandstone , Minnesota
We have been considering the same thing, since recliners are certainly more comfortable. We think the loss of the goucho/bed would be a bummer for guests and grandkids. However, we think the floor might work for them, also. 1957 Airstream Overlander 26'. Greg & Judy
gregjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile What is a Gaucho?

Have you found the Gaucho in your Airstream?

Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaúcho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!
  • Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.
There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig. Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream community on a heated and passionate debate on axel replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.
Now, despite my best efforts, Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
As a glass Artist I am jealous of your handle, Artstream...I don't know about your trailer, but if you do replace the gaucho with recliners, won't you loose storage? And an extra place to sleep? I know there are no rules but.....
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #14
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dureedesign
As a glass Artist I am jealous of your handle, Artstream...I
Jealousy noted and credit given, Oh goddess of the glass

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I knew a guy named Renaldo once... moved back to California. Played with a band here and last I heard, his wife fired him. Something to do with who he'd spent the previous night with...

Always wondered why someone would call a sleeper sofa in an Airstream a Gaucho, Michael... unless they're from Argentina... hummm...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
One more.....

Groucho

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Gaucho's be gone

I've done the Gaucho to recliner conversion
Photo 1 - recliners in place of the front gaucho
Photo 2 - rear gaucho pulled, getting ready for-
Photo 3 - new bed frame with lift up area for storage

This solves several problems-
Visitors "we could sleep on the front sofa"
What was airstream thinking with the mid gaucho?
Gaucho's sleep like a cheap hotel bed
and
no large storage area
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05550sm.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	50065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05546sm.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	50066  

Name:	DSC05551sm.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	50067  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Smile My wife's lifting recliner

This post is close to my heart. My wife Fran had a stroke 8 years ago and we have a lifting/recliner chair that I feel we need to bring with us to make sure she will be comfortable. I too am leaning towards removing the sofa/couch, from our 34' limited.

Another question that comes to mind is do you need to secure the recliner to the floor so that it won't shift or slide while traveling from campground to campground?

Regards,

Franny and Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I used coarse thread socket head wood screws through the feet of the recliners. I figure the frame of the trailer takes about 10% of the surface area under the floor, that means you (like I) have a 90+% chance of hitting the frame at any point...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote