Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Waxahachie , Texas
Repairing bathroom countertop

I am a newbie with a '75 Sovereign. There is a pretty large crack in bathroom countertop and sink. My budget is forcing me to repair and recondition anything and everything. I know this can be done, but I don't know where to begin looking. I don't know what filler, paint, epoxy, etc to use. Can someone advise
Thank you!
dcrocker115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
First, you need to determine whatmaterial it's made of. Then search for that on the forums here. I'm thinking it's likely to be ABS; there are directions here (ma
ybe on endcaps) for repairing ABS.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Fiberglass will bond to ABS. If you can take it off, and do it underneath, you're better off. See if you can get it color matched when you get it off. Stretch and tape some reynolds wrap quick release foil to the face side. Then tape a piece of cardboard over that to give it some backing. Flip it over, then use fiberglass tape on the backside - I used the self adhesive type that comes on a roll for drywall. Clean the back well with acetone, but move quickly as it can soften the plastic. Then adhere the fiberglass tape, then brush on the fiberglass resin. You can get a small can at Lowes and Home depot. Plus, you can use the same stuff for floor rot spots.

When cured, flip it over, and the aluminum foil should peel right off if you use the right side of it. Then sand, use a plastic bonding primer after you shielded and taped off the other areas, then you can spray on your color matched paint. Thin it with floetrol. I just did a bench repair on my 64 where I put in a new toilet and had to move the flush pedal over. You can't tell.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

This is just a thought I had….( cost about $100 )

My bathroom sink and countertop combo is faded, a little stained, and borderline butt ugly.

I was thinking of cutting out the sink, covering the counter with formica covered plywood, then installing a stainless steel sink. Paint the edges of the plywood with marine paint, then covering with metal trim ( aluminum or stainless )

I found a shallow stainless sink, meant for use as a wet bar.

Or….Somewhere here on the forum, I think I heard of people repairing ABS with epoxy. I THINK….that you would have to make a semi wide repair, or else the " bump " would be very noticeable ( I came to this conclusion when doing joint compound repairs on walls )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Silver Lining USA

1968 26' Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
We completely tore out the damaged and cracking sink/counter combo in our 68 Overlander. May not be the most cost effective option if you're having to replace the sink and all that BUT as far as counter top options go...we used waterproof bamboo flooring and cut it to match the radius of the previous counter top. Bamboo is a great option as it takes humid conditions well. I am having fits uploading photos to the forum today but I'm attempting to attach a picture of the finished product from my website:
Olivia_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote