Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
1337stream

2007 27' International CCD FB
Manhattan , Kansas
Removing Queen bed from 25' International - Advice?

I don't currently own this Airstream, but hope to soon. The wife and I have been looking for a late-model (2008-2011) 25' International FB for many, many months, and will be buying one soon, even if it means buying new.

Once we find the right one, we have plans to remove the queen bed and customize the front "bedroom" with a desk along the curb-side wall and a sofa along the street-side wall. I'm wondering whether any of you seasoned restorers have any advice for such a project?

Specifically, I'm curious what components are installed under the queen bed that will need to be relocated, probably within this new furniture? Also, what "scars" will removing the queen bed leave that will need to be repaired?

Thanks so much for any wisdom you could pass on.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think your job might be easier to get a twin bed model. Do pay attention to exterior storage doors for your selection and plan accordingly.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That model has a sofa and dinette (works well as a desk).

Where would you sleep?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1968 17' Caravel
Lakewood , New Jersey
The queen bed model has the Power Converter Charger right in the middle of the bedroom. I would recomend the Twin bed Flying Cloud version or a 27' FB for such a modification.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I think your job might be easier to get a twin bed model. Do pay attention to exterior storage doors for your selection and plan accordingly.
I originally had planned to go this route, but two things set me on my current trajectory:
  1. The queen bed minimizes the amount of attachments to the walls that we'll have to remove.
  2. We're pretty dead-set on the "Wenge" interior of the International CCD, and it is not available in a twin bed configuration.

Thanks for the note about the exterior storage doors. I suppose those may lead directly under the queen bed, huh.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That model has a sofa and dinette (works well as a desk).

Where would you sleep?
I plan on "permanently" mounting our iMac to this new desk. I need a dedicated work space where I can close the door and be away from my 2 y/o son from time-to-time. Renovating the "bedroom" into a sort of "den" seemed like the most prudent way of doing that.

To that end, we'll also use the iMac as a secondary TV, for the occasional rainy movie night, sitting on a convertible sleeper sofa just opposite the desk. The idea is to sleep on this convertible sofa, too, perhaps also installing one of Airstreams "loft" beds above the sofa for the boy to sleep on.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
The queen bed model has the Power Converter Charger right in the middle of the bedroom. I would recomend the Twin bed Flying Cloud version or a 27' FB for such a modification.
Ahh, that is good to know (and disappointing)! As I replied earlier, we're pretty sold on the CCD's "wenge" interior, and the details of our renovation plans may actually be more fluid than our desire for the International.

The 27' is a good option, but because of the limits of our tow vehicle (Jeep Commander 4.7L Hemi) and plans to boondock frequently, it's much less desirable than the 25. Starting to feel like I've dreamed myself into a pickle.

If we ordered new, would Airstream be able to mount the Power Converter Charger elsewhere and omit the queen bed altogether (after the $500 change fee, of course)??
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The crossways side queen in the front will have a side exterior storage door under the head of the bed under the window street side. You do not have to use that door but it exists. Under the desk or couch it can still offer storage. However the converter as Colonial mentioned will need to be moved to under the desk or flip out couch bed. I am not certain if the water heater is located between the bedroom wall and bathroom wall on that same side. I sometimes carry the IMac in the closet. Are you certain you need to permanently alter the furniture and layout to work comfortably? At the foot of the queen and at the corner you may be able to put a permanent base for desk and IMac and possibly a drawer or two without moving the bed and using the bed as a seat.

Having had a 25' and 27" the 27' may not require but is beneficail to have a bigger tow vehicle. I pulled a Classic 25 and 27 with a Expy (150) and though not ideal it performed well under the circumstances. Classics are 1,000# heavier than the CCDs because of the weight of corian and oak cabinetry. Think seriously of the 27" it fits everywhere the 25' would be put. No one wants a site that tight to be in anyway, right?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good Vendor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeatAirstream View Post
Patrick - you did a nice job of NOT mentioning that you've got a USED 27 FB Classic with twins - in your inventory.

I've looked at it several times - just can't get past liking the International better - but the pleather couches, oh my. I'm no slut, but I was tempted.

The twins in either the 25 FB or the 27 FB make the bedroom a ROOM - otherwise it's a big bed with very little walking around space. Still lurking, still waiting, still patient. The right unit will eventually "speak" to me.

Paula
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by worksology View Post
I originally had planned to go this route, but two things set me on my current trajectory:
  1. The queen bed minimizes the amount of attachments to the walls that we'll have to remove.
  2. We're pretty dead-set on the "Wenge" interior of the International CCD, and it is not available in a twin bed configuration.
Thanks for the note about the exterior storage doors. I suppose those may lead directly under the queen bed, huh.
Like the WENGE? - Not available with twins? Wrongo bongo. Click "Classifieds" Click Late model units. Go down about 7 ads. And he's in TEXAS. (You'll just generally find about 5 queens for every twin.)
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A couple of things come to mind . . .

You would miss the comfort and convenience of the dedicated bed, more so when you want to compute and she wants to sleep. The private bedroom is also good for the little one's naps.

Could Airstream custom-build this conversion for you, using one of their sofa-beds, for about the same money?

Could you trade for a van as tow vehicle, setting up the permanent office inside, allowing a wide range of used or new Airstream models for family life?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Like the WENGE? - Not available with twins? Wrongo bongo. Click "Classifieds" Click Late model units. Go down about 7 ads. And he's in TEXAS. (You'll just generally find about 5 queens for every twin.)
Sorry, I meant in the 25' configuration. I've been back and forth between every permutation of 23/25/27 and International/Flying Cloud/Safari in recent years and always come back to 25' International CCD. Maybe I'm being defiantly picky, but I've never been anything but picky!

I probably shouldn't rule out the 27' altogether, especially since I'm considering making these layout changes. My rationale has always been a combination of tow vehicle capacity, maneuverability, and general attractiveness (the 25' fits the bill for attractive proportions).

(There's probably another reason I skipped over that classified -- besides being 27' -- it's mislabeled as a "classic" and I'm definitely not looking for that.)
Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
1337stream

Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
You would miss the comfort and convenience of the dedicated bed, more so when you want to compute and she wants to sleep. The private bedroom is also good for the little one's naps.
Haha, yes, so true. The mutual exclusiveness of those two activities (sleeping & computing) is likely a real problem with this layout, but one we've considered and decided not to be a deal-breaker. I guess the question is: "would we trade a dedicated bed for a dedicated desk" and so far we've said "yes" but I'm open to the possibility that we're crazy. The truth is that the dedicated desk is what's going to help pay for this whole crazy dream.

Quote:
Could Airstream custom-build this conversion for you, using one of their sofa-beds, for about the same money?
I don't know how it possibly could be "for about the same money" but I would certainly love for Airstream to do this instead of me, ESPECIALLY if we're starting with a new trailer. For Airstream to do it, we're starting with, say a $70k trailer + $500 change fee + AS's cost of modifications. For us to do it ourselves, we're starting with, say, $50k trailer + our costs of modifications. I don't see how I could spend more than $20,000 making these relatively minor changes myself.

(But of course I don't mean to imply that there are no other benefits to buying new & having Airstream themselves make these mods.)

Quote:
Could you trade for a van as tow vehicle, setting up the permanent office inside, allowing a wide range of used or new Airstream models for family life?
This is such a great suggestion. I'm not sure I'm interested in your exact suggestion, but it's a good reminder to think out of the box and not get locked into wherever my linear thinking brought me. If there are other ways of achieving the same end (dedicated desk space, preferably NOT in the main living space), I'm wide open to new ideas.

Thanks everyone! This is so helpful for me.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Baby I HAVE the 25 FB!

Granted mine is a Safari Special Edition, but let me tell you what your WIFE will find appealing in the 27. But I too like the International in any of it's 4 versions (Black woodwork, Wenge, Ocean Breeze Serenity)
  • SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) will like the size of the closet!
  • The pantry in the 25 will make you say dirty words every time you want to store a cereal box. The 27 is a real pantry!
  • With twins you even get two hanging closets in the bedroom - Convert one to a linen closet by adding shelves or use it as a tuck away for the computer - keeping it safe while traveling.
  • Throw out one mattress or flip it over and double it and you've got the base for a desk, dresser, workstation, whatever.
  • Intimacy - hey you've got kids? Look at the big closet - stuff them inside, slide a bar across the handles - 20 minutes of free time. Otherwise? Lucy&Desi twins - the kids won't think there's anything to interrupt and can be put into a coma with s'mores.
  • You and SWMBO will hate making up the foldout bed every night, AND you'll hate crawling over each other to take a 2:00 AM comfort stop, And I've never found an RV convertable that's really comfortable.
  • Tow vehicle. You could have this Airstream for 20 years - the tow vehicle will be replaced in 2-5 years if you don't "forget" and leave the keys in the ignition. If you do? (It's marginal, but if you'd been to Alumapalooza and seen what the Canadians tow with you'd produce some "wenge" yourself!)
It doesn't cost anything to look - and the only reason I'm not all over that 27 FB myself is that I'm in Virginia. I talked to the guy selling it. Look at list for a new 25 FB, make wenge, call the number in the AD and ask price. Holy wenge!

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Paula

Tags
advice, front bedroom, international, remodel, queen