Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Removing fabric-y stuff from compartments

My 1967 Safari has canvas fabric stuff glued onto the wooden overhead compartment cabinet doors. I know this because it's coming off in one spot.

Can I remove all of this and take it back to bare wood to match the front cabinets? Unfortunately, the wood underneath the fabric looks way reddish compared to the other original medium tone wood.

I guess the other possibility is trying to patch this fabric, but I'd rather get the wood.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
on our 69 the PO had removed the covering on ours already, but those were a different grade of plywood then the cabinets (no veneer) so we ended up sanding and painting them.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Jo,

Those years had the vinyl wrapped wood. I had them in our 68 Safari. Not the prettiest to look at. I suppose you could remove the vinyl, but it will take alot of time, and then the left over glue would have to come off the wood for finishing. It would be easier IMHO to take the door off, and cut a new piece of wood to fit for the door. Connect it to the old mounting hardware and a nice new door (In your hand picked paint or stain color no less!)

Steve
Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
You're right, it does look like different wood. Hmm.

Another idea I had was to replace the doors with a resin panel, a la the CCD models. THis company, 3form, has a ton of cool designs. I don't know how difficult it would be to attach hardware, so my original idea was to leave 1-2 inches around the perimeter of the door with hardware attached (vinyl stripped, wood sanded down, stained or painted if need be) and insert these panels by screwing them down with hardware to the back of the doors.

I know there are no new ideas under the sun, but I wonder if anyone has tried this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capiz_natural_silver-2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	54609