Old 11-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Recovering dinette cushions with leather

Has anyone had this done & if so were/are there problems or negatives?
I have had no luck with keeping the blinds attached to the factory installed pins at the bottom, but have better luck with soft velcro & should be even better with the plastic 'velcro' which I will try next...cheaper than the plastic pins, too.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We've not done actual leather, and would not because of cost and lack of resistance to stain, etc. I would however cover with Ultraleather in a heartbeat. But, that's just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
We are going to recover our dinette cushions and couch in "ultra leather" vinyl. It is tough stuff and pretty soft and pliable. A person may need a good blanket to cover it with when using it as a bed. Ultra leather is common in RVs and Airstream uses it in their high end trailers.

I think it is going to be a bunch better than the fabric on the cushions now. It's beagle proof!

David
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Recovering

Thanks, will try the ultra leather.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Recovering Cushions

Ultraleather and Pleather (or any other brand names I'm not familiar with) are both expensive, so if you haven't taken a course in upholstery and don't have the right sewing machine & needles to do it, really consider having it done professionally. The stuff lasts for decades and you'll be looking at whatever quality of work you've done FOREVER. "How hard can it be?" is a sentence that has made me want to pound my head on the desktop many times.

Also SERIOUSLY consider going ahead and popping for new foam too. One thing I've noticed from sitting in Classics is that it isn't just the upholstery that's better, the foam is about an inch thicker, much more plush, and more ergonomically contoured........ That is rounded to fit your bottom and provide a bit of extra padding on the edge of the bench.

If you are replacing something that isn't worn to tatters it's because you want the upgrade, so your behind should tell you to go for the top notch solution.

Random thought (as most are). Call Colaws or any other salvage house you know of and see if they have upholstered pieces from an almost new Classic in the same layout as yours. Just buy the new cushions and upholstery. (I'll bet going to the factory and picking up Classic Ultra Leather cushions isn't going to be a bargain solution. Well, maybe at Alumapalooza.)
Old 11-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Also SERIOUSLY consider going ahead and popping for new foam too. One thing I've noticed from sitting in Classics is that it isn't just the upholstery that's better, the foam is about an inch thicker, much more plush, and more ergonomically contoured........ That is rounded to fit your bottom and provide a bit of extra padding on the edge of the bench.
Years ago we did it on a dinette and the foam people gave us good advice:"density of foam used depends on what it will be used for"
Med for sleeping and high density for sitting, definitely help for the bottoming out problem without having to go to more inches of depth. Harder to get contouring for a flat board seat and upright back without depth(when you check close you will see bench has less depth and backs are straight, must save the few inches after all how many hours are spent in the RV sitting at the dinnette
Old 11-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a 2014 Flying Cloud 23D and i called Aistream and got the part number for the Ultra Leather covers. They are expensive but gives you another option that you know will fit
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

2014 16' Sport
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
I had the cushions recovered with leather in my Sport 16 in 2008. It has held up well, cleans up spills much easier, and looks great.

Marty
Old 11-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
I did mine, pricey but worth it all. Same off white color but real leather (Mustang sport) with mid/high density foam combo. Changing the leather without the foam is a waste of money in my considered opinion. As a matter of fact, if I can reuse the OEM leather with a new high density foam I would have. If you don't use your couch/ dinette that much, you are better off going Paula's route (Colaws/ Salvage). The foam alone was about $950 if my memory serves me right. About five years now under constant use and still looks new with no flat spot and bounce back as soon as you get off the seat. Talk to a couple of good car upholstery guys with regards to your intended use, how long you want it to last, approximate weight of users, children or none, sleeping comfort level required, or just sitting and they will give you foam density recommendations with leather choices - then match your budget with your taste. I'm glad I went through this before I started shopping for my re-upholstery. Best wishes.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Recovered my gaucho and dinette using high end Ultra Leather and love it. Soft to the touch, warms and coosl easily, abrasion resistant, spill proof and looks great.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamr View Post
I have had no luck with keeping the blinds attached to the factory installed pins at the bottom, but have better luck with soft velcro & should be even better with the plastic 'velcro' which I will try next...cheaper than the plastic pins, too.
We have had no luck with plastic pins for the blinds, nor has Velcro worked very well, either. The sticky on the back of the Velcro tends to go wonky in extreme heat, as in the summer, whether the A/S is inside or outside, in our experience, and comes loose so the wall Velcro ends up stuck on the blind Velcro with the blinds crashing around anyway.

One thread here recommended using rare earth magnets, and I just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. But I would go with the magnets before Velcro because getting the useless Velcro sticky off your walls is not easy, and it attracts road dirt and looks really nasty before long. Interesting that the sticky is sticky enough to be hard to remove, yet not sticky enough to hold the blinds!

Good luck, let us know if you find a solution!

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote