Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Question Recessed oak panels are escaping

Hi folks,
I have been scanning through posts on this cabinets category and have to admit I haven't yet read all the posts mentioning cabinets, but I haven't noticed a discussion yet of how to deal with escaping panels. if there is one, could you direct me to it?

Meanwhile, here's the problem. I think I caused it. One day I was feeling particularly enthusiastic and I oiled my cabinets. I really oiled them. I suspect that the oil seeped into the glue holding the recessed oak panels in my 1986 345 Moho cabinetry and as the months went on, more and more of them fell out. It was hard to avoid getting hit by falling panels. I almost had to wear a hardhat.

So my question is, what is the best practice, given that the cabinets are old and some of the frames and possibly the panels may be a little warped, for reattaching these? I notice there are little corner pins that might still help hold them in place but I'm told that wood glue cracks and I should use gorilla glue. And do I try to tack them in, too?

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thanks in advance!
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Are they raised panel? I think the pins you are talking about are dowels and the oil may have loosened the old glue. I don't know how AS built the cabinets but raised panels should free float to allow for expansion and contraction. I think you need to clean and glue the joints, a good wood glue will work. You will need wood clamps to tighten up the door so the panels stay in place. Search raised panel construction in Google.

Yes you will have to take the doors off.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Jim, for the speedy answer! My handyman is coming back tomorrow morning, hoping I'd have some instructions and now I do!

I have always been confused about the terminology with cabinetry like this. It's recessed and it's raised. But if I get your point, it needs to have a little give in relation to the frame. And yes, we'd have to have clamps. Ok. I got me marching orders.

I wasn't sure why this guy was suggesting Gorilla Glue.

thanks again.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, I forgot to mention that the pins I was referring to are little metal triangles in the each of the corners which fit into notches in the panels.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that the pins I was referring to are little metal triangles in the each of the corners which fit into notches in the panels.
The triangles are there to center the panel in the frame. The slot in the frame is intentionally oversize to allow for expansion of the panels.

I replaced the panels in my trailer with plywood pieces with bamboo blind material attached using spray cement and coated with clear spray paint. It changed the whole appearance of the interior.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi Pahaska -

Looks like you've gone for the clean look. Nice!

I'm actually planning to steampunk my coach, so I'm trying to preserve whatever woodwork details I can so I can build on them. I suppose ultimately I might want to replace the cabinets entirely, but that's not in the budget right now.

It's amazing how many things I keep trying to fit in the budget.