Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Readying a trailer for sale... Should I...

Hello to all of you in this marvellous Airforums knowledge base.

I have a bad case of aluminumitis but not the driveway space to store my addiction. This summer we purchased yet another airstream bringing my collection up to three. As our three (now) teenagers had outgrown our existing ones and they won't/can't sleep three to a bed any more so we decided one of my collection has to go so. So we have spent the good part of the fall and winter restoring the 1969 Safari.

We are getting close to the putting her back together stage and I am torn on what I should do for the upholstery and drapery. Currently it has the original fabrics and drapery throughout..., now well I do know that there is value in an original condition trailer but I am sure that value does not extend to 47 year old fabrics

So this is where I was hoping to get some input. I do not know if I should be putting the money in to redoing all the interior fabrics. Would I see a return of value if I did? or is it one one those things I should leave for the new owners so they can pick a pattern that suits them.

I know I am not the kind that could just pick some cheap fabric smack it on and call it done if I did it I would do it right with good quality stuff, so that is where I am concerned, how much has it cost others to redo their interiors. If I did it I would likely pay someone else to do the sewing.

Also another interior question, If I were to redo the vinyl wrap on the upper cabinet doors would that be taking away from the value of "original" Seeing that I work in a sign shop I am certain I could modernize them but would that affect the value?

These two pictures I grabbed from other peoples pages but they are the same fabrics and vinyl door wraps as are in mine

Click image for larger version

Name:	217286.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	233048

Name:	20140814_151420.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	233049
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Gosh, that's a beautiful trailer! If I was in the market for another trailer, I would want to buy it as-is and personalize the fabrics to my liking. I know that is not the opinion of everyone, though. Some people will want a finished trailer. As for the overhead cabinets, I recovered mine in fabric very similar to the original covering. The original was torn and stained, so I had to do something. Personally, I am a fan of the original covering. Good luck! It is a beauty!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Another vote for letting new owners choose fabrics.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
If the fabric is in presentable/usable shape I would sell it as it.
I think it would also depend on the over all condition of the exterior of the trailer. If the exterior is in really good shape then it might be worthwhile to rework the fabric with something more modern and clean smelling.
My personal view is that I would pay more for a really nice exterior. The interior can be fixed much easier.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Check on the prices for the reupholster, but reflect it in the price that would make it easier to sell, if fabric needs replacing I would a bet the foam will have to be replaced, too. If you get the total price you will know what it will cost the new owner and let them decide.
but I agree with previous posts on look and aroma of old might be hard to sell sob except Airstream is for the retro inclined.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I would gently clean the fabric, eliminate any odors, stitch and patch up any holes and stuff a little more extra padding in if has major sag. Then I would add some solid colored pillows to cheer it up and make it look retro vintage cool instead of dated sad. The new buyers can then easily update the fabric to coordinate to their color scheme.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
I would gently clean the fabric, eliminate any odors, stitch and patch up any holes and stuff a little more extra padding in if has major sag. Then I would add some solid colored pillows to cheer it up and make it look retro vintage cool instead of dated sad. The new buyers can then easily update the fabric to coordinate to their color scheme.
Agree completely. Advertise "clean, cared for and ready for you to makeover, update, restore or renovate" Some love Airstreams for what they are, some for what they can become! (Not unlike Harley Davidsons.)

There are a couple of vendors members who make curtains, etc. You might ask them for pictures - which you could place around the Airstream showing what the "after" look could become.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
hmm, lots of good ideas. I did wash all the fabrics that would let me. The zipper on the long goucho is seized so I couldn't get it off. The fabric has kind of a crunchy feel which I don't like. maybe I'll try rewashing them and use a fabric softer to see if that helps some.

Another question for the counters I will be redoing, I've been trying to find some new old stock of the discontinued aqua boomerang Formica and can't find any remnants big enough to use anywhere. Wilsonart has a line where they can print anything you can give them so I reproduced the design here at work (changing the design just enough to avoid copyright protection) and sent it off for a quote, I just got the quote for the custom made laminate shipped to me in Canada, its about $450 for ONE sheet...eek... anyone seen any leftover in their neighbourhood stores?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #9

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
Clean--then clean again--and again. I can change the fabrics to my liking, but nothing turns me away like an aroma that you can't quite place in a trailer. And yep, I am super picky and can tell when someone is trying to cover odor. Watch the corners and the fridge seals.
Garddwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Aqua boomerang formica was used in the 50's and early 60's but not in the late 60's such as your trailer. Looks like you have the ugly green which was popular at the time and dates a trailer horribly, unless it is a museum restoration. Maybe you have the yellow/slightly green I can't tell. It is less objectional but no prize.

I would just use a simple white Formica if you are doing the counter tops. It always looks good and is never really out of date. It is cheap and available too.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Laie , Hawaii
I vote for original fabrics, but doubt that fresh, new fabrics would hurt the value, as they are essentially consumables.
On the subject: What about the bathroom color? My 72 is all original, but I dislike that yellow bathroom color--don't know how yellow was ever attractive for that room! Would changing it to white hurt the originality factor/value?
Sharkboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Hmm, Steering get away from my aqua boomerang countertop plan.... I guess if I skip doing the fabrics, the vision in my head of what she would look like completely done is dead anyway and I do agree that colors and patterns are such a personal taste so I'll look for something good more neutral for the counters and leave the fabric as is. Maybe I could take the long goucho somewhere to have the zipper repaired so I can at least wash that one.

The cushions are really sound still and don't have any smells, them and the covers have been living my living room behind my couch for the past half a year so I'd definitely notice. I'll have to see If any smells pop up when I take my upholstery steam cleaner to them.

I replaced the plywood in her front end and that took care of the musty smell she had when I got her. But I'll tell you one thing I did discover really has a stinky, could be be mistaken for mouse pee or some kind of refer leak or something that I should share with others that are trying to find a source of a smell, is that rigid insulation board stuff. When we ripped up the front sub floor we had to chisel out the old spray foam insulation in some areas to get the new elevator bolts in and repair a couple outriggers. Man, that spray foam in the undercarriage area in my year was GOOD sh*t, in most areas where we chiseled it out the underlying metal and paint were perfect. After the repairs and floor replacement I first attempted to spray closed cell foam back in there but as I was doing a shell on resto....well let's just say gravity sucks...and spray foam stays attached to long hair forever...as in months.

I had a hat on but I dragged my ponytail through some foam that had hit the ground. After wiping the worst of it out with paper towels I figured the minor bits would wear off quickly with natural hair movement and washing. NOPE, looked like bad dandruff for months, lucky it was at the back of my head so I couldn't see the look of disgust from people standing behind me in the grocery line. Only my darling teenager had the constant enjoyment of telling me about how it looked like dandruff and laughing it me for months, every time he was walking behind me. Little booger...

Anyway when I bought the foam from my local hardware store rather than grabbing the truck I brought it home in my car which is a Toyota matrix and hold lots of stuff. Well I didn't even clear the parking lot before I realized how yucky that stuff smelled, it was so strong it made my eyes literally water, I don't know if it just an issue with it needing to offgas because maybe it was a brand new batch or what, but it was a horrible smell. Had I brought them home in the pickup I would likely have never noticed. I left my boards outside in the rain to wash and air out a few weeks before using them and we haven't wrapped up the belly pan area yet so it has had a couple months to off gas so hopefully the smell will be all gone before I wrap her up. But boy, I pity anyone that may have that ridgid foam in their walls as insulation that are trying to place the smell.

Oh and as I did an air gap style of insulation in the under floor area I used a shower cap to protect my hair when I went back under to seal the around the edges of the ridgid foam with the closed cell spray foam. Live and learn baby..live and learn..
Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Yup, The “nose knows” Entering a trailer, my olfactory sense engages before my visual.

With all your skills and talent... supportive, humorous, and kindly informative contributions, I'm absolutely baffled that you don't have an old Pfaff 130 on hand to tend your fabric needs.

Buy a fish or learn to fish...

Sewing isn't rocket science, it's working with sheet goods much the same way as sheet-metal, plywood, linoleum, drywall... Just a different method of joining and fastening. Few persons know the trade well enough to discern between an 80% good enough job and true art. I'll bet it'd only take you a couple hours to figure out how to make a benign colored Sale priced muslin-like fabric “case” for your foam that a Buyer could cover eventually with their “personal” choice. Then you have clean new fabric to augment the sale.

We bought new Serta foam, made a muslin case to cover the foam, and made a second cover with twenty dollars worth of boring IBM beige fabric. The first case lets the second case slide freely which prevents wrinkles. We display our favorite Pendleton as our decorative layer.

Today, sewing may not be viewed as the manliest of skills, but I'll bet I'm not the only fella on this forum that has an English wheel standing within reach of a sewing machine.

My awning is home-made too, With a Pfaff 130 and $20 worth of Sunbrella roll-end sale.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ng-121731.html

I'll agree that boomerang pattern predates your trailer. I built my counter-tops back when Formica coral, aqua and blue were still available. They are grey because as a recessive color(if you consider grey a color) it adds an illusion of spaciousness and clashes with nothing. The GT feels big inside.

You like boomerang, and the grey is still findable. It looks great with stainless, and is “sellable”.

If the overhead door vinyl is intact and clean, I'd leave it original. How wonderful to not have tambours! To me, having the last of the wood interiors, dictates a responsibility to preservation. You already know that the failing coat of clear lacquer on your ash can be restored easily with light Scotchbrite prep and ”re-nutrienting” the surface with a lacquer soaked rag. Lacquer is a good coating because you can quickly build it up in thin layers and it blends well onto itself.

I feel that offering a trailer clean, unscented, and close to original, without major appliance repair issues to the purchaser, but some room for their personalization, makes the broadest appeal.

I'm wondering if others are wishing that you rethink your decision and keep the nearly most remarkable Airstream trailer ever made??

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	233175   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	233176  

Name:	c.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	587.6 KB
ID:	233177   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	233178  

Name:	e.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	233179   Click image for larger version

Name:	f.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	823.1 KB
ID:	233180  

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Hey Sign lady
Love this post. I'm working on a 69 Globetrotter that's very similar to the first pictures you posted. I vote for as original as possible.
I do have a question as to what you'll do for flooring? I'm thinking about install the original looking VCT.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #15
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Hey Sign lady
Love this post. I'm working on a 69 Globetrotter that's very similar to the first pictures you posted. I vote for as original as possible.
I do have a question as to what you'll do for flooring? I'm thinking about install the original looking VCT.
Mike

Mike, it'll be cork, it's the only way to go for a trailer in my opinion. Warm on the foot, moisture & mold resistant, flexible and non allergenic. If you somehow damage it and take a chunk out (not likley) you can fix it by grinding up some cork and mixing it with glue and filling the hole. For this trailer I am going with floating click together. The Argosy will get glue down. I actually found the cork for both on our local used site. 20 bucks for the floating stuff and 30 for the glue down lot. After doing one of each I will know for certain what I will prefer in my newest addition the tradewind.

I have cork in my current landbased home as well as had it in my previous one. Three kids, two dogs, shoes on in the house kind of home and they hold up really well. Oh..and the best part dropped glasses don't break they bounce ☺
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 AM   #16
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Yup, The “nose knows” Entering a trailer, my olfactory sense engages before my visual.

With all your skills and talent... supportive, humorous, and kindly informative contributions, I'm absolutely baffled that you don't have an old Pfaff 130 on hand to tend your fabric needs.

Buy a fish or learn to fish...

Sewing isn't rocket science, it's working with sheet goods much the same way as sheet-metal, plywood, linoleum, drywall... Just a different method of joining and fastening. Few persons know the trade well enough to discern between an 80% good enough job and true art. I'll bet it'd only take you a couple hours to figure out how to make a benign colored Sale priced muslin-like fabric “case” for your foam that a Buyer could cover eventually with their “personal” choice. Then you have clean new fabric to augment the sale.

We bought new Serta foam, made a muslin case to cover the foam, and made a second cover with twenty dollars worth of boring IBM beige fabric. The first case lets the second case slide freely which prevents wrinkles. We display our favorite Pendleton as our decorative layer.

Today, sewing may not be viewed as the manliest of skills, but I'll bet I'm not the only fella on this forum that has an English wheel standing within reach of a sewing machine.

My awning is home-made too, With a Pfaff 130 and $20 worth of Sunbrella roll-end sale.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ng-121731.html

I'll agree that boomerang pattern predates your trailer. I built my counter-tops back when Formica coral, aqua and blue were still available. They are grey because as a recessive color(if you consider grey a color) it adds an illusion of spaciousness and clashes with nothing. The GT feels big inside.

You like boomerang, and the grey is still findable. It looks great with stainless, and is “sellable”.

If the overhead door vinyl is intact and clean, I'd leave it original. How wonderful to not have tambours! To me, having the last of the wood interiors, dictates a responsibility to preservation. You already know that the failing coat of clear lacquer on your ash can be restored easily with light Scotchbrite prep and ”re-nutrienting” the surface with a lacquer soaked rag. Lacquer is a good coating because you can quickly build it up in thin layers and it blends well onto itself.

I feel that offering a trailer clean, unscented, and close to original, without major appliance repair issues to the purchaser, but some room for their personalization, makes the broadest appeal.

I'm wondering if others are wishing that you rethink your decision and keep the nearly most remarkable Airstream trailer ever made??

It's all about the bass baby...It is hard to let go of an Airstream but I actually have three trailers now because a beautiful 63 Tradewind followed me home this summer and I love the ass end of the early 60 trailers more. I have been know to follow the nice butt trailers for miles out of my way just because.....Oh....yup I have issues...trailer stalker...

I do have two sewing machines, but I haven't done enough to feel I have profected the trade, and I'm one of those wack jobs that it would kill me to send a poor job of anything into the world so when we start using the trade wind I will make the fabric goods for that. Then it'll be okay for the kids and dog to romp around in because it'll be my test pilot that I can redo when all the little boogers age out and get the boot 😉

The wood in mine is in great shape save for I had to replace the bottom of one overhead cabinet as a hood scoop leak damaged it too bad and one end panel had so many different screw holes and stick-on hooks on it that it wasn't salvageable so I had to replace it. Maybe I'll try lacquer on the finish there.

I will most definitely be making one of those vintage awnings like yours for the Tradewind when I start playing with her though, those look awesome !

My main incentive for getting this Safari up to top notch condition is preserving get her for another generation. If she's in great original shape when she leaves it will be harder for a new buyer to gutt her. I have a lady that keeps popping by when I am working offering me more money each time she comes because she has some architectural insite for what she wants to do to her. None of which involves a single original feature other than the exterior. She will NEVER get this trailer.

Hope to not offend anyone here that may have altered an AS...I'm all fine with gutting the 70's vinyl board trailers and getting whimsical or doing your best with what you have when you find an older one where the wood maybe is to far gone from water or fire damage but simply put, finding real wood ones that haven't been "improved" is getting harder and harder and more effort should be kept in to keeping some original. I think I'll lock the door if I see that girl coming my way again...☺
Old 02-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Clean it and sell it.

If it looks anything like the pic's you posted your good to go.

Spray the fabric and screens with Fabrez.

Let the next owner do the mods

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #18
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
"It's all about the bass baby...It is hard to let go of an Airstream but I actually have three trailers now because a beautiful 63 Tradewind followed me home this summer and I love the ass end of the early 60 trailers more. I have been know to follow the nice butt trailers for miles out of my way just because.....Oh....yup I have issues...trailer stalker...

I do have two sewing machines, but I haven't done enough to feel I have profected the trade, and I'm one of those wack jobs that it would kill me to send a poor job of anything into the world so when we start using the trade wind I will make the fabric goods for that. Then it'll be okay for the kids and dog to romp around in because it'll be my test pilot that I can redo when all the little boogers age out and get the boot ��

The wood in mine is in great shape save for I had to replace the bottom of one overhead cabinet as a hood scoop leak damaged it too bad and one end panel had so many different screw holes and stick-on hooks on it that it wasn't salvageable so I had to replace it. Maybe I'll try lacquer on the finish there.

I will most definitely be making one of those vintage awnings like yours for the Tradewind when I start playing with her though, those look awesome !

My main incentive for getting this Safari up to top notch condition is preserving get her for another generation. If she's in great original shape when she leaves it will be harder for a new buyer to gutt her. I have a lady that keeps popping by when I am working offering me more money each time she comes because she has some architectural insite for what she wants to do to her. None of which involves a single original feature other than the exterior. She will NEVER get this trailer.

Hope to not offend anyone here that may have altered an AS...I'm all fine with gutting the 70's vinyl board trailers and getting whimsical or doing your best with what you have when you find an older one where the wood maybe is to far gone from water or fire damage but simply put, finding real wood ones that haven't been "improved" is getting harder and harder and more effort should be kept in to keeping some original. I think I'll lock the door if I see that girl coming my way again..."

I wholly concur. Sounds like the Safari is safe with you, and screening a seller that way is appropriate. I look at every Airstream selling on eBay and CL each morning, and some of the atrocities inflicted upon the old beauties is depressing.

Most anyone can chose to buy or finance a new Airstream with their inheritance, hard earned money, or lottery winnings and instantly assume the pride of Airstream ownership...

With an ever lessening number of old rebuild-able trailers, It's reassuring to find folks with the foresight, consciousness, respect, and courage to dedicate the five years of budgeted time and money to get the old betties back on the road.

It takes a lot of heart.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Mike, it'll be cork, it's the only way to go for a trailer in my opinion. Warm on the foot, moisture & mold resistant, flexible and non allergenic. If you somehow damage it and take a chunk out (not likley) you can fix it by grinding up some cork and mixing it with glue and filling the hole. For this trailer I am going with floating click together. The Argosy will get glue down. I actually found the cork for both on our local used site. 20 bucks for the floating stuff and 30 for the glue down lot. After doing one of each I will know for certain what I will prefer in my newest addition the tradewind. I have cork in my current landbased home as well as had it in my previous one. Three kids, two dogs, shoes on in the house kind of home and they hold up really well. Oh..and the best part dropped glasses don't break they bounce ☺
What kind of used site are you able to find cork flooring? I do agree with you on the cork flooring,I really like the look and feel of cork. I might have to rethink what I'm putting down in my GT.
Thanks
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
I used our local get rid of crap site, usedvictoria.com. Same concept as Craigslist and Kijiji. So just keep an your eye out on whichever used sites are most popular in your neck of the woods. The cork isn't used,in both cases it was just over purchases by homeowners that had just put some in their homes.