Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Re-Laminating Kitchen Counter

Wife hates the yellow kitchen counter top. I want to re-laminate it. I feel the best way to do this is to remove the whole counter top, and take it into the garage and do it. She seems to think we can do it in the trailer without removing the whole thing. Any ideas on this? How many screws are holding this thing down on the cabinets??
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 10:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
It would be much easier to re-laminate it out of the trailer. You won't have to be so careful brushing on the contact cement, you'll have plenty of ventilation and you will be able run the router with a Flush Edge bit around it to get factory finishes. Laminates can be applied using a razor knife to rough trim and a file to smooth the edges but a router or a power laminate trimmer makes quick and slick edges. Be sure to wear eye, hearing protection and at least a paper resperator if power trimming, as it really kicks up a plastic dust residue. You can also use it to cut out the sink hole in seconds. A powered laminate trimmer can be rented at most any good tool rental store for a few dollars a day. If you have everything rough cut ahead of time, the trimming can be done in about an hour. Also while having the counter out, you can put the sink and that new faucet that would really look good on before you set the counter back into place. Then all you have to do is reconnect the supply lines and the sinks drain trap back together saving your back and knuckles.

You will also appreciate the room to work around it when you go to mate the two surfaces that will have the contact cement applied on them together. On the side edges this is no big deal but, when you go to apply the top surface you will really be glad you removed it. With contact cement you only get one chance to get it right. The surfaces bond instantly when they touch

If you have never done this before, have a supply of dowel rods or other small strips of wood that measure a little longer than the width of the counter top handy. Lay them across the top of the old surface every couple of inches, before you lay the new piece on top. Precut the new laminate with about an inch of over hang on all four sides. Don't try to precut the new piece exactly to fit. Lay the new laminate on top of the dowel rods, line every thing up and remove the dowel rods one at a time pressing the laminate on to the contacting surface. If you don't have a laminate roller, a 2 X 4 and a mallet can be use to press, not beat, the laminate surfaces together.

Don't forget to do the backsplash. This really makes it a professional looking job.

This is a fun project and will make your galley that much more personalized.

Regards;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 04:56 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I second Bobby's opnion. When I did mine I took it out, but I had to make a new countertop. The old one was trashed. Go with a power trimmer for the laminate and you wil be amazed at how easy it is to do. The hardest thing ti getting the screws out of the wall because you have to climb part way into the cabinet to reach. Also I wanted to get rid of the Lime green formica.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new sink and faucet - cropped.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	192  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 07:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Thanks, guys, you brought up some really good points, fumes and dust! I have picked up the laminate, and will commence the extraction procedure!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Document your work with pictures

Be sure and take some before you start, step-by-step during and after pictures. Especially the "during" pictures. You will be glad you did. Try to post them for us to see.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote